SkyRay 6-XM-L - Battle Of The Kings - BeamShot Image updates!

Hi DenBarrettSAR, i look forward to this review, i have a couple of 3 emmitter SRKs and was considering the 6 led type.

Are you using decent batteries with these? I ask because i have about 12 Ultrafire batteries, 4 Senybor and 4 Panasonic 18650’s, the Ultrafires are complete rubbish is comparison to the decent makes, they appear to give off half the amount of light.

I also assume this is already well known on this forum, but they are susceptible to setting the charger on fire, I think this usually applies to us in the UK because of our higher voltage, but i would still be extremely careful using the supplied batteries.

Anyway, can’t wait for this review.

I am using Trustfire 2800 mah batteries to do the beam shoots later. ( the TF Flames type cells)

I did the beam shots tonight. :slight_smile: now i was wondering, how two post a “mouse over” type photos ?

The editor in this website allows one image for mouseover, and another for mouseoff.

got it thanks :slight_smile:

- The Battle Of The Kings - ( Part 2)

So here we have some Beam shots of the Four SkyRays listed above.

( Photos taken with Nikon D5100 / 18-55mm Nikkor / ISO 800 / 1.3 Shutteer / F 7.4 / RemoteControl

Below is a collage of all four SRKs, with trees approximately 30 meters away.

( top Left: Skyray King 3-XML WarmWhite , Top Right: Skyray King 3-XML CoolWhite ,

Bottom Left: Skyray Kung M4, 4-XML CoolWhite, BottomRight: Skyray King 6-XML CoolWhite

Below is a longer distance shot, with the tree in the center at 100 meters away, with the SkyRay Kung M4 in top photo, and the new 6-XML SRK bottom photo.

- My conclusion of the tests i did tonight, the SkyRay Kung M4 is still the "King" of the kings when it comes to brightness and throw out of the Kings tested here.

The new 6-XML SRK has a much larger Hotspot, than the others, but it falls short of the Kung when it comes to the throw & brightness of the hotspot. Flood area seems to have a narrower outer edge, but just a tough bit brighter than the others. The throw of the new light seems to be very close to the brightness of the original 3-XML King, but much larger.

(Below is a mouse over of the M4 vs. the x-XML at the 100-meter shot, showing the brighter hotspot and more throw)

*Mouse over for M4, mouse out for 6-XML)

I am very impressed with your beamshot comparisons! they are all exactly the same except for the beam geometries! Kudos!

Now, how is PWM on low? Do i need to cycle through modes to shut off (ala King)? Thanks

I keep the camera and light tropods as still as possible, ( using wireless Remote shutter control) so everything is identical except for the beams. :slight_smile:

the PWM is noticable when moving the light quickly, but not as bad as soem lights i have. You have to cycle through the High/Low only then off. ( the Strobe mode is hidden like the original SRK.

Thank you for the comparison! Great information. It confirms what most of us thought. The 6x King is a brighter flooder, but too bad the hotspot doesnt hang with the Kung.

Unfortunately, the comparison test doesnt warrant me a reason to buy it, since I already have all the other Kings too. Thats going to make my wife that much more pissed off when she sees my new King 6x in the mail.

I was sort of expecting the new 6-XML King to not have a small brighter hotspot, due to the smaller reflector area of each emitter. I believe the Kung is the limit for throwing of this physical size of multi-emitter light. out of the 4 i have it has the best combination of throw & Flood.
( the Kungs’ individual emitter reflectors are close to those of the 3-XML regular Kings.

My Kung is a 4x XML2. I think I’ll place my order once I see a King 6x XML2.

What a nice set. Thanks for showing us the internal parts.

I'm very surprised that the 6x has a smaller cone of spill.

i was supprised that the spill cone was smaller too, but after looking closer at the light its probaly the smaller size of the individual reflector cones of the 6x.

Thank you for the excellent beam shots. Not sure the mouse over is a good comparison though. The hot spot on the M4 is mostly on the big bush. The hot spot for the new light is between the bush and the distant telephone/power pole that is on our right.

Thank you again. For pure flood, that new light looks like the King. I'm with you though, I like the M4 best for more throw and a wider spill.

Wow! Great beamshots! Looks like the Kung is King!

-Garry

Whats the current price to pay and place to get the M4 (a dark one plz)?

I have seen them on Ebay from several sellers for around 40 bucks.

The Kung wins my choice too. I carry the Kung on all camping and outdoor trips i go to. just need to figure out how to add more modes including a moonlight mode. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the shots, very useful. Ill pass on the 6 emitter version, at least when its got XM-Ls.

Your 4 XM-L kung seems quite nice. :)

I have been tempted on a black 4 XM-L king for some time. I might pick one up in the future (39$ from WB with coupon code).

Sold one of my 3 "kings" to a friend last week, so now Im down to two.. :p (one is the M6) Im feeling the urge when looking at all your kings.

Nice beamshots btw! :beer: