Skyray King (3xXML, 4x18650 Fatty)

It seems there are at least a dozen different clones of the Skyray King. It seems like the best ones come from CNQG, but the models from other vendors may be at least decent. Not many of us have personally compared units from multiple vendors, so it’s a bit hard to say exactly what each is like.

I’m just happy to have one of the good CNQG ones. It’s my trusty photon grenade, and I’m always happy when I get an excuse to use it.

http://www.fasttech.com/forums/1234300/t/1000529/difference/2

Tailcap measurements of FT SRK’s

The CW’s have become $2 more expensive it seems

My cool white SRK arrived today from cnquality goods! That was FAST!!!

LICK FOR HIGH RES! or LICK HERE FOR UBER HIGH RES!!!

Just for S&G I compared it to my new SC600MKii, and OMG does the SC600MKii ever look GREEN when side by side with the SRK (both are cool white). Makes me even more disappointed with the green and purple beam of the SC600MKii :frowning:

Exposure set so that the SRK beam is at 99% of the maximum possible exposure of the camera sensor. SC600MKii on Turbo, SRK on High.

Can’t wait till it’s dark out :smiley:

-Jamie M.

Out of curiosity have you opened it up to see what driver you have?

do beams look greenish when you look at them and what camera did you use ?

I have not. I read that prying out the circuit board was a little tricky, and I’m so impressed with this thing I didn’t want to tear her open yet. I cleaned (they were clean anyway) the threads and lubed her up good (it was bone dry), soldered some blobs on top of my unprotected Pana 3400’s and was blown away :slight_smile:

If I shine the SC and the SRK on the wall side by side, the SC looks VERY green. If I turn off the SRK and look away for a while, then look back at the SC it looks a lot less greenish. If I shine the SC on a white wall, the hotspot is white, it has a green corona around the hotspot, and the start of the spill is very purple. I hope that gives you an idea.

The above photo was taken with the flashlights shining at an off white wall, almost taupe colour, that’s why the cool white SRK looks warm and not cool white.

I’ll see if I can take a pic when them shining at my white ceiling, might show it more accurately.

-Jamie M.

toysareforboys, Is this the XML2 SRK?

Provided they haven’t put any locktite on it, you don’t have to pry anything. Remove the crown by unscrewing. The glass and o-ring should pretty much fall away, and then you can unscrew the reflector with your fingers using them sort of like you would a bowling ball, and look at the driver from the other side. You may notice after unscrewing it seems like its being held tight. Since the reflector/pill are still together, but it’s free from threads- you can gently turn it the opposite way (like you’re tightening it) without connecting it to the threads, and it will unwind itself and you can see inside.

LICK FOR HIGH RES!

In this photo (on my monitor at least) the SRK appears warmer than it is, and of course it’s very hard to see the green and purple in SC600MKii :frowning: I pulled up the pic on my monitor, then looked at the ceiling with the flashlights on, and drew where the green and purple bands are when viewing them in real life.

I tried tons of camera settings, the full range of white balance, etc. just couldn’t get it to make it look like what I see. Camera is a Canon T2i (running magic lantern) with stock 18-55mm F3.5-F5.6 lens.

-Jamie M.

My invoice says “XM-L2 U2 1B” but I’m seriously thinking I got the neutral white version!!! If I take a pic of the actual LED can you tell?

-Jamie M.

I can’t get the high-res pics to load. I’ve tried licking the screen, the keyboard, the cat, everything. Where am I supposed to lick? :party:

If the square around each LED is white then they are XM-L2, if it is green with two silver squares it’s XM-L (and maybe neutral). Looking at your picture they are XM-L2.

I believe the original Skyray king used a buck regulated driver (not direct drive) and the clones a linear one, with the clones being less efficient and often lower current. But I could be wrong.

Yes, those are XM-L2 leds, so it's CW.

[quote=mhanlen]

I unscrewed the crown, the glass and o-ring came out easy. I put on rubber gloves as not to muck up the reflector and tried your bowling ball finger grip but was unable to get the reflector to turn at all! I was putting a LOT of force on it, and didn’t want to crack/damage it so I gave up :frowning:

I might give it another go when my resistors get here from china ($4 for 100 1% resistors? Shipped?! lol).

-Jamie M.

Thanks for the confirmation :slight_smile: It sure is purrrdy for CW, especially compared to the SC600MKii :frowning:

-Jamie M.

If the LED itself has lines/boxes visible on it, it’s a XM-L, XP-G, XP-E, etc. 6 boxes for XM-L, 4 boxes for XP-G, 3 boxes for XP-E/XR-E. If the LED has a checkerboard pattern of subtle dots, it’s a XM-L2, XP-G2, XP-E2, etc.

I kind of liked the boxes… it was so easy to identify what each LED was! I could glance into the front of a light and tell immediately what the emitter was and what kind of performance to expect.

Wow, the colour rendition on the SRK is insane!! It’s pitch black here now and just stopped raining so I went for a long walk with a bunch of my cheap lights, and some of my expensive ones. All lights are cool white unless specified otherwise:

Sipik SK68
UltraFire W-878
SkyRay 3xT6 818
Keygos M12
Ultrafire HD2010
ZL SC600w (warm)
ZL SC600MKii
Custom built light with 3 x Nichia 219 high CRI warm LED’s
SRK

In brightness, the SRK murders all of them of course. And the colour rendition!!! The ONLY light that looks better is my custom Nichia 219 light!! Even the SC600w isn’t as good.

love Love LOVING this light!!! Doesn’t get NEARLY as hot as the SC600MKii as well!! Perfect night time walking light!!

-Jamie M.

I’d rather have the $38 one I got from Fasttech. Great build quality and I”d be surprised if is dimmer than the “original”.

That’s the “clone” right? Only rated at 2000lm and 3200ma, XM-L vs XM-L2, etc?

-Jamie M.

Well, it is dimmer.

Yes, fake/clone.