Skyray King (3xXML, 4x18650 Fatty)

I'm gettin' anxious now! Can't wait to get mine... enough that I paid for EMS. I'm getting a neutral... so much better for outdoors.

Rich

You need a lux meter to notice the difference. As always, you can't notice 20% diff in output, sometimes for some folks even 30-40% you won't notice nothing esp if it's not A-B. Somewhat unbelievable, but true.

Would the Uniquefire version be more reliable than the SkyRay given some of the problems on other lights in the past?

DOn't think so, they should be using the same driver. But this design should be pretty ok, unless if you really tailstand it on highest and always overheat it past 10 minutes mark or so. It is using a very robust 3.7V input as source (4 x 18650 parallel, take it as a 3.7V 10AH battery). 3 drivers then drive the LEDs individually. There is probably not much of a very flat regulation, but seriously you won't notice much of that in real life.

I'd be more careful with the Trustfire J12 on 2 x 18650s, ie when boosting at up till 4.5A the components would get hot (current heats up stuff), and together with the heat from the LEDs then naturally if you add together the 2 effects, the components would literally having a very bad day. :) Flirting close to the threshold.

I'm going to order the Trustfire from Manafont since DX hasn't shipped the one I ordered on JAN 02 and I filed a claim on Paypal. It's fine as long as I run it with 3 18650s right?

I have the Dry and like it very much but I was considering ordering the SkyRay King, Uniquefire version or the TrustFire TR-3T6 (http://www.manafont.com/product_info.php/trustfire-tr3t6-triple-xml-t6-5modes-memory-led-flashlight-3x18650-p-7443). I can't decide which one with all the positive reviews on all of them.

Are you going to order a King then? :) Also, when you said there's probably not going to be flat regulation, are you basing that because its a budget light or on some other reason?

Can anyone with the J12 and KING make a beamshot comparison of the 2 please? Oldiena?

Doh. Mine (ordered the 1st day) got stuck in customs. Can get it tomorrow.

I think it’s because it’s something like a “triple driver” on one PCB, each driver drives each LED; or maybe it could be a single driver, but since they are wired in parallel they will never receive the exact same current due to lightly differences between every LED. It’s not noticeable.

I share your feeling

you guys aren't making it easy for me to ignore this light :P

I wrote a review, which can be found here.

Executive summary: "Highly recommended!"

Hi folks...since there are a number of great thread here, I didn't know which to post to, so I'll just post in this orginal one. I just received my Skyray KING and in mint condition from Manafont. With all the great photos around, there is no point in me posting any, but I will get a couple of mouse-over photos tonight posted to show the difference between the KING, Ultrafire UF-T70, and the DRY NW beam shots.

Great! Looking forward to seeing those.

Thanks for your efforts!

Well, at least my Redilast 3100's fit no problem. This light will not turn on unless it is fully screwed down. The reflector, as a whole, is the exact same size as the DRY, only on the KING, the reflectors are slightly closer into the center. It's not dark here yet, so I'm not sure how this will affect the beam.

Mine does seem to have the switch issue, not always turning off and requires a second press. Not all the time but I don't intend to send it back or anything. I'm also amazed at the small size of this light. The switch itself is great. No crazy half-presses to change modes like the TM-11. Just press and the business end comes to life. The semi-hidden strobe mode is finally a step forward with these lights. While turned on, press and hold for several seconds to activate strobe.

Good to hear, Rich!

Okay folks, all brand new labeled photos for you so there's no mistaking what you're seeing. I've put the Skyray KING up against the DRY NW, and the Ultrafire UF-T70. They are all so similar, it's really hard to say which is brighter, so I'll leave it up to you to decide.

To keep the playing field level, in spite of the DRY being NW, each light took turns using my set of Redilast 18650-3100's. After each beam shot was taken (on a tripod) the batteries were topped off back to 4.2v each.

Lastly, the beams may appear as if they may be pointing down towards the lawn, they are not. Each hotspot is dead-center on the shrubs. Photos were resized for posting, no other manipulation was performed on any of them.

Any of these lights are worth purchasing. Likely the KING will be my favorite due to the side clickie and super small size.

The hand-hold is suprising comfortable in spite of the unusual design.

The Aluminum/Stainless Cree was placed in the photo below just to have a pic of it, no beam shots were taken for it.

Would I buy each of these three flashlights again if I could do it all over, you bet I would in a second.

I can't tell you how happy I am with each one of them. I only hope the KING's driver doesn't give me

any issues. It looks like it would be a big problem replacing it. Other than that, it's a keeper.

Skyray KING Vs. DRY (Mouse Over For DRY NW Turbo)

Ultrafire UF-T70 Vs. Skyray KING (Mouse Over For KING)

DRY NW Vs. Ultrafire UF-T70 (Mouse-Over for Ultrafire)

A few observations:

- The KING has a noticeable doughnut hole compared to the others

- The UF-T70 has most throw

- DRY has best tint and beam profile

I'm curious how the DRY CW would compare (that's what I own)

Great shots Richie - I wish you would have had the Trustfire TR-J12 so I could have seen all of them together. Right now, all I have is the Dry. The T70 did better than I thought it would against the others. Pretty impressive. I'm curious where the J12 would fall in between these competitors.

Damn, I'm getting more and more anxious for mine! Apparently CNQG has a warehouse in Singapore-that's where it's coming from.

If the driver flames out, I'll just 7135 it and worry about the switch if that happens.

Rich

thanks for posting those. nice job, too.