I’m not sure if the ‘help’ thread is the best place for this info, but it might be of help to someone, so…
EDIT: Keep in mind that both the discharge cutoff voltage value and discharge current / rate used in the referenced cell manufacturer’s capacity ratings is unknown, so direct comparisons of this data with those ratings is not practical.
In the course of doing some cell testing in the past couple of weeks, plus the initial checkout of a new ‘charger/analyzer’, some data I noticed in my notes may be of interest to some, so I’ll share it:
The 2 devices in use were / are:
- Opus BT-C3100 V2.2
- SkyRC MC3000 FW Rev: 1.15
I ran discharge tests on 4 new examples of NItecore NL-166 , protected 16340 cells which have a rated capacity of 650 mAh. Discharge current used was 1.0A, and discharge cutoff voltage was set to 2.8V on the MC3000, and the non-configurable default value of the Opus is the same (~2.8V).
The resulting capacity (in mAh) indicated by the MC3000 was:
Cell #6 - 671
Cell #7 - 677
Cell #8 - 677
Cell #9 - 666
The next day I ran the same test on the Opus, with the following results:
Cell #6 - 718
Cell #7 - 709
Cell #8 - 741
Cell #9 - 725
The next day I re-ran the test using the MC3000, with the following results:
Cell #6 - 673
Cell #7 - 679
Cell #8 - 682
Cell #9 - 669
Those results would seem to indicate that the capacity results of the Opus are, in this particular case, ~7.5% higher than those of the MC3000.
It also indicates that the change in average measured capacity (per the MC3000) between the first and third tests was minimal / negligible (~ +3mAh, or +0.446%).
About a week later, I tested 4 samples of NL-169, a newer version Nitecore protected 16340 cell with a rated capacity of 950 mAH using the MC3000, with same parameters as previous tests. Those results were (in mAH):
Cell #1 - 905
Cell #2 - 913
Cell #3 - 911
Cell #4 - 897
Following that, I re-ran the test on the same 4 cells, but this time I used a discharge current of 0.5 A (rather than 1.0A used on all the previous tests) with these results:
Cell #1 - 925
Cell #2 - 938
Cell #3 - 940
Cell #4 - 924
Although the effect of different discharge rates on measured capacity is easy to determine from looking at any proper manufacturer-provided discharge graph, this just provides a real world data point I happen to have in front of me. This 50% reduction in discharge current appears to have increased measured capacity by ~2.8%.
Just FYI. As you were…