Small Sun ZY-123 mod

After reading RaceR86’s post about this light I ordered a couple for myself. I’m camping next week with a couple of friends and thought these would be great gifts for my non-lithium friends.
I modified the first one essentially the same way RaceR did using an Int’l Outdoor NW P60 but while I was doing it I got to thinking (always dangerous and usually expensive), so this is what I did this evening.

First, the original 3AA light.

Original plastic reflector and pill.

The pill is little more than a threaded ring with a small raised shelf for the LED and driver to sit on, they are both lightly pressed in.

After I removed the LED and driver I made a few measurements then cut a 9mm piece of 3/4” copper rod. The rod is slightly larger diameter than the inner diameter of the “shelf” so I filed the bottom 2mm of the new pill until is was a nice tight press fit. I then filled the gap above the shelf with artic alumina. Photos are prior to final lapping of the pill.

To mount the new driver I filed the top of a P60 pill flat and attached it to the underside of the threaded pill with AA, it was a nice snug fit.

Added three XP-E2s in parallel and a KD V2 moonlight driver set to 3 modes with memory.

All that was left to do was add a little thermal paste on the threads and a Carlco clear, tight optic.

I get just under 3A at the tailcap on fresh eneloops and the head gets plenty hot on high, the thermal path seems to be better than I expected.

I may just pick up a couple more and make one for myself, just have to decide if I want XP-E2s, XP-G2s or Nichias. I was hoping the XP-E2s would provide a tighter beam, it doesn’t look much different than my XP-G2 triples.

Cool, looks like it turned out really nice.

Nice little build you have achieved itinifni. You have a couple of very lucky mates. Your not looking for any more are you? :wink:

Nice work. Looks great. I want one like RaceR86 made and one like you made with high cri xpg2's.

Nice mod! :)

Im planning to do a triple TIR in this blue 3AA light some day. I bought the light 4++ months ago, back when I bought the Small Sun 123.

Im saving it for a rainy day. There is not much space in the front but I think think a triple should be fine. The host would require some work though..

That blue light looks a lot like a MiniMag but the head looks a little smaller. I’ve done a couple of Match-mod style triples and found there’s not a lot of extra depth in the head.

Before I started messing around with lights I had a 3AA, first generation MiniMag LED. It sat around for a while after it died then I tossed it out. Wish I still had it, aside from being a 3AA the head on those lights is a bit deeper than the incan MM, much better for modding.

Good luck with the blue AA!

Yupp the head is really small. :) I think its possible though.. But there wont be much of a pill.

starting to poke around at 3xAAs, to be able to give 3x NiMH lights to friends who don’t use li-ions.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8W-LED-Slim-Long-Handle-Flashlight-Torch-Lamp-Light-with-Keychain-attached-HG-/271795822121?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f484b1e29

Get one before they are gone at this price.

> Get one before they are gone at this price.
One what? doesn’t say how many batteries, what size batteries, or what emitter. Looks kind of like the usual “3W Police” thing to me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8W-High-Powered-LED-Flashlight-Torch-Lamp-Light-Fishing-Hiking-Camping-CH-/161488099590?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item259970d906#

Exact same light as the small sun. 3 x aa.

I’ve seen those on eBay, look like the same light to me without the Small Sun logo.

They are the usual 3W lights until you invest a little time.