Sneak Preview: XinTD X3 (XM-L2 | 3xAA / 1x26650 / 1x18650)

Thats quite a bit of sag, isnt it?

Think of the light starting at 650 OTF lumens for that T3 bin, there's not reason to look at it otherwise. You hit the 50% mark right before when the cells do not have more juice.

I had the impression that this light should maintain its lumens(less or more) for an hour?
At least thats what I would expect it to do, 600-650 lumens per hour :D!

You could say that at one hour you have 450 OTF lumens based on that runtime graph, the U2 should come to right about 600 OTF lumens at one hour considering the discharge curve.

So, basically that could mean that its real life output=throw is comparable to D40A given that its lumens sag pretty quickly and thus output gets reduced considerably?
This one had how many cd’s, 34-36k?
D40A is, at least on paper, 24,8k cd, some have reported that its slightly more, its overall light output is greater, thus making it much more useable as general use light, while X3 will be thrower?

Anyway, all these speculations on my part give me no solid evidence to help me rule ones superiority against the other, I MUST SEE them both compared with outdoor beamshots where their output as well as lumens drop is compared :D!

And I dont want to buy them both, OK, I WANT, but my common sense tells me not to :P!

I am not sure what you understood but what I am saying that after 1 hour of runtime the OTF lumen output should be 600lumens using the U2, so that means it will start much higher and will drop to 600lumens only after 1 hour. But that is not a sag it is actually the driver that follows the battery voltage that is available after all the normal losses in everything possible (carrier, springs, switch, etc)

As for throw Tom E here says 36Kcd using the T3 warm white LED.

After the X3 mod to 4.5A, XM-L2 U2 1A on Noctigon, I got 1,459 lumens at 30 secs, and throw of 76 kcd, all on a KK ICR 4200 that measured 4.5A at the tail.

I like the looks of this light, but I think it may soon be modified by the manufacturer, so I’ll hold off.

Not sure how fast that will happen though, depends on their qty of the initial run. I did email Hank about the inset dimple on the top of the pill and he was unaware of it, as I suspected, and made it sound like he was going to have it addressed. Actually, the XinTD C8 also has an inset dimple on the top surface of the pill, but not as wide or deep as the one on the X3.

As I've posted before, the X3 is built like a tank - lots of heat sinking aluminum - weighs more than bigger lights like the HD2010. Biggest con for me is the design for triple AA's rather than 26650's, though some prefer that feature. For it's reflector size, it does well in lumens and throw, but of course bigger reflectors will have more throw.

Hikelite, are you saying the X3 will run for 1 hour at approx 600 lumens on 3xAA?

my x3 arrived back from my stepson’s scout camp last night. I bought the 80cri version and am more than happy with it. He took it away with 3aa generic rechargeable batteries, he came back with a request from his scout leaders for me to have a word with them about the costs for some for themselves.

Thats what I like about this light, its great as a flashaholics light in whichever configuration suits your flashaholic tendencies but its also great for civilians on readily available cells, at $45 its also less than I’ve seen the d40a or ea4 but I’m happy to be corrected on that.

Got my ea4w for $47 and change. Think that's the cheapest it's ever been offered at. Need to get some of banks 26650 for this so I can use some lithium juice in it

I had been using mine with an unprotected 18650 and sleeve, its not seen much outdoor use as mrs gords loves it as a night light lol, I’ve put together a few other lights with similar emitters and drivers as I didn’t want to be without, I think its probably my favourite set up, 4 mode moon to high and I’m really liking the warmer high cri emitters, so much that I’m in the process of changing all the mr16 halogen bulbs for phillips gu10 warm led bulbs, they are also reported to be 80+cri and I’m finding it just so much more pleasant, can’t see me going back to cw anymore unless its for dedoming

How many meters is the throw distance on this light? Does it do beyond 300 meters?

No, that is not what I am saying.

X3 using the U2 1A will start out bright at around 1000 OTF lumens and when 1 hour has passed it will reach 600 OTF lumens, imagine a falling curve. The idea is to know after 1 hour of runtime how many lumens you have and vēer wanted at least 600-650lumens for an hour. Based on the black Eneloops performance.

Mine, stock with the warm white emitter on a 26650 did 36 kcd, which is 379 meters. Mod'ed at 76 kcd, it's 551 meters. Calcs from here: http://flashlightwiki.com/Light_Output_Measurements

Thanks, Hikelite, for explaining ;)!

Im looking into WW emitter tho :D!

This light has some hope in it :D!

Looks like you found the thread I PMd you on. Welcome to the dark side…………er……well……… the light side I guess!

I ordered D40A NW, I also have Jacob A60 on my way, so if it wont be enough with two Jacob’s then I might be getting X3 as well.
One last question - will it(X3) benefit if modded and used only with AA’s? Because it seems like a nice light that can sustain high temps for long period without down-throttling, thus, naturally, I would be interested to boost its output considerably and use it with AA exclusively.
Is that possible?

Thanks everyone for your help :)!

AA won’t give you max output for long if it can even give you max output at all