So I'm new and dumb

I just started obsessing on lights. I ordered 5? SK-68 clone things the last week. I did my first moron move and bought 4 Saft LS14500 and didn’t notice they weren’t rechargeable. So now I’m expanding my ability of new mistakes to make into 18650 lights. I haven’t even received my first SK-68 yet…LOL

So I’m wanting brighter, and maybe longer runtime than a SK-68 with 14500’s. Would http://dx.com/p/fandyfire-uv-s5-xm-l-t6-3-mode-3000lm-3-led-white-flashlight-w-strap-yellow-4-x-18650-120679#.Uur72vldWBo be a good start? I’m thinking 4 batteries with only 3 LED’s might have more runtime. I’d also like to find something tiny like an SK-68 that uses a 18650 for longer runtime, or brighter. More anything is better at this phase of my obsession. As long as it’s small. I kinda want a TM-11 type thing but I’m too cheap. As for me. I’m old, and have spare change. At least till the wife sees what I’ve been buying, so I need to buy a ton of cheap toys fast…:slight_smile: I’m China buying savvy.

- Joe

You might want to buy a Starry Light SA-22. Lots of bang for the buck.

The Starry Light will run on AA batteries while you bring yourself up to speed on lithium ion batteries and chargers.

Welcome to BLF. :slight_smile:
Read into alot fo the topics here about good lights & bad lights before you buy anything expensive and not know much about them. Most SK68s and the clones are fine, ( especially with the cost of them usually less than 7 bucks) they are great little lights and bright for a single AA/14500 pocket-sized light. Most everyone here has them and use them.

I have like 40 Samdung Eneloops and Lacrosse? charger already (have 6yo & 7yo at home). I’ve been a geek for about 25 years. I can do Li-Ion batteries. I have 2 14500/18650 chargers on the way. I’ll keep reading though. This place and CPF is great for education. The SA-22 does look nice for the money. I see someplace called Illumination Supply has it for $25 or so. I think I’ll get one! TYVM! I’m guessing while it says 880 lumens it MIGHT be twice as bright as an SK-68 clone. I’m a skeptic. But it has 5 modes so at SK-68 levels of brightness I might get some decent runtime. This is the info I was hoping for when I logged on here.

- Joe

My first light should be here tomorrow:) http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006VPPERC/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_M3T1_ST1_dp_2 I added it onto 2 LED shower heads I bought while waiting for my other 4 clones…:slight_smile:

• Joe

Thanks for joining the gang, Let-There-Be-Light!

Welcome to BLF, Joe! :party:

Obligatory lights for the newly obsessed -

P60 (solarforce), C8, Jacob A60, HD2010, SkyRay King triple, etc.

Or use the search box at the top left and type in Must Have Lights for several similar thread.

Welcome to BLF!

C8's are pretty staple around here. Convoy or XinTD, your choice.
Those ones are cool white versions. Warm white are avail too.

Joe glad you are here and you are at a far better start than I !

Joe glad you are here and you are at a far better start than I !

A-60

I like how you said 4$ sk 68.....and 200$ Nitecore TM11 in the same sentence ...

why not get the TM-26 they are only $400.

Welcome to budget light forum

:)

If you like the SK-68 design, why not go for the same again?

This is a 18650 SK-98 clone. I brought one myself a while back and the quality is actually really nice. It’s not anywhere near the stated brightness as it has a 1A driver and a hollow pill. However it is bright, cheap, solid, and has a long run time.

Welcome Joe. Your going to have to watch your wallet when you gain knowledge.
You’re going to obsess to possess.

I’m looking at what you mentioned. So far I only bought 11 SK68 clones and 2 Olight i3s and one Starry Nights SA-22 or something like that. But some turkeys here talked me into buying 2 6 Cell laptop batteries. So now I need to get 18650 lights. What you mention has some nice 18650 lights. TYVM!

• Joe

Welcome aboard Joe, and I second the motion on the XinTD V4 or Convoy C8. RMM has a store here mtnelectronics.com where you can get those cheap and fast, along with all the other stuff you’ll eventually be buying. A neat P60 variant is the Solarforce L2m shorty, it takes a single 18350 cell but utilizes any P-60 drop in. Small, yet bright. The Convoy S6 is also nice, slim cylindrical design not a lot larger than an 18650 cell. And it goes on and on and on…

Have fun!

SK98 is the SK68 big brother

http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10001857/1520403-ultrafire-sh98-1-cree-xm-l-t6-3-mode-910lm-cool

I was told they are the "bic lighters" of the flashlight world [dime a dozen cloned by everyone and their mother in laws]..was informed by MUCH more knowledgeable people that the Convoy series are a much better "budget" introductory platform, still alot brighter than most of the 9LED jobbies you get at gas stations or home depot (I believe the term was Cree "muggles" or something like that :p )

I do still like my Sipik's and clones...but just go my first convoy and must say it really is that much better!

Sk68 has a boost circuit for AA, and a linear regulator for 14500, boost runs at 500mA, regulator runs at 800mA, this is why on an 14500 it's alot brighter, gets warmer faster but only runs for 40-50 min...most people find the 1.5hrs on a regular AA better than super bright for not that long..YMMV

Im in the noob club too so I am sure the more seasoned vets will be along to set you (and me) straight :D

Welcome! I like your username, FIAT LUX!

Howdy and welcome aboard.

The light you listed is a good light but overpriced. You can get good SRK triples for much less.

This is a very cool triple and there is a ten percent off coupon around here someplace.

I also suggest getting a Small Sun ZY-T08 it’s a budget thrower that is really hard to beat for the price.