Sofirn BS01 Smart Bike Light Review

Sofirn kindly provided the BS01 Smart Bike Light for review.

It has a flat top 21700 cell.

Here is my review:

1 Thank

Thank you for the review, lots of work put in there.

I was a click away from buying this light but it has 2 non-go features for me:

1. Unregulated current
  2. Non-replaceable battery (means I cannot have with me another battery and replace it in the field)

Minor disadvantages :
400 sustainable lumen is somehow low for the size and numbers. It explains the long runtime but it’s too little for MTB scenery or night forest rides.
Not sure about the mount but considering the light’s weight it may not withstand aggressive bumpy rides.

But now it’s priced around $32 which seems fair for what it offers. Nonetheless Lumintop B01 with its around $20 promo price is a serious competitor.

1 Thank

Thanks for reading!

I would prefer the following mode spacing:
Low (100 lumens), Medium (400 lumens), High (800 lumens), Turbo (2,000 lumens).

It has:

ANSI/NEMA FL1 Low Medium High Turbo Strobe
Output (lumens) 50 150 500 2,000 500

High is usable on bike paths. Turbo is kind of like High with an initial burst in output.

800 lumens would be better.

I bought 2.

I do have probably around 20 lights from Sofirn itself and a handful from Wurkos (produced by Sofirn).

That said one might assume I am completely satisfied with Sofirn - and that had been true up to the IF23.

That was the first light where Sofirns IP rating (68) was a plain lie.
I bought 2 of them - and when I found out it is not waterproof at all - wrote to Sofirn.
Sofirn told me - I must not put the light under water - as ip68 doesn’t mean waterproof. Just splash proof/water-resistant.

Needless to say I was slightly annoyed… IP rating is - just like ANSI lumen - not just a random thing.

Still I did buy the here testet Bike Lights - reasonable price - if it was waterproof. Ok resistant enough for heavy rain at least.

So - long story short - the lights are not to be used in connection with water.
Tried both lights - only in rain mind you! - both lights are not at all resistant to water.

This time I did get my money back.
But this is the last time I buy from Sofirn.

I have as mentioned a bunch of their torches - very satisfied.

Up until the last ones.

I don’t know what changed - but it is not worth buying the lights any longer.

2 Thanks

Please enjoy your time here, 2bAS!