Sofirn C8F host. 21700 C8F Available

Wonder if Sofirn would go upscale and do a C12? Make the head proportionate to the fatter 26650 tube? Larger reflector cups would certainly improve the performance factor… :wink:

Just got a message from Sofirn. They talk with the technical department and decide the specs and after that they will tell me what options were chosen and what type of battery.

Tell them that the 20700/21700 versions are preferred :slight_smile:

Somebody prefers 21700 and somebody 26650. I gave them the numbers but they decide.

I will vote for 21700. Smaller and capacity is as good as 26650.

I also noticed that statement at IMR batteries for the 48G (“4.8A Maximum Continuous for optimum cycle life”) I assumed it meant only that the cell will last longer if kept under 4.8A, but actually can do 9.6A Maximum Continuous.

Not sure why Liion wholesale doesn’t show that “optimum cycle life” information.

Mooch rates the 48G as 4.8A for 500 cycles and 10A for 200 cycles. After than you might start loosing some capacity. In theory at least.

*With the caveat that the continous output level is lower. Such as 10A continous compared to a bigger 26650 5000mah Liitokala at 20A continous. We should all keep this in mind.

No if we want higher mah and higher amps (than an 18650), the 40T might be the better choice. It’s a good mix of capacity and amperage. Like a bigger 30Q.

Yes.

Also, 26650 cells are very thick and not as easily available as 20700/21700, due to the vaper community using them much more.

Come on. I don’t know that much about the vapor community, but are you saying these new sizes have become dominant?

Then again, maybe the vapors never really took to the bigger 26650.

I guess it’s actually the companies that make the vaping devices that dictate what batteries are popular. If they made a vaping device based on the 26650 then it might be too bulky to fit in the average pocket.

They also want the highest amperage they can get which as you said leans toward 2170 already.

21700, Musk doesn’t rule the battery terminology department. That last zero is needed.

Lol, I did that on purpose because of your essay. Never would have even thought to refer to it like that had you not mentioned it. :innocent:

My memory is so bad the use of standards is essential. :wink:

All our cells are named using 5 digits, so it’s assumed one is left out of only 4 are present… does that make it a 21700 or a 32170? 22170? Who knows? So standardization is important. (for those of us with horrid memories anyway)

I dislike seeing the world take up something as “gospel” when one person decides it needs to be so, in this case Tesla’s Elon Musk.

Yes, It’s a fact. The latest models of many of the vape “mods” that have been around for a long time are now redesigned to accept 21700 (and typically retain 18650 compatibility) I’m hardly an expert on vaping devices, although I’ve dabbled in it a bit and have noticed the latest devices.

I believe they make the devices based on the direction of the global cylindrical lithium-ion battery market, which is dominated by automotive, followed by laptop and power tools. Vaping and flashlights fall in to the smallest categories. I’m not any expert on that subject either, but this is what I remember reading.

There are many 26650 vape mods, they seem to be quite popular with the more serious crowd, (no doubt because of the amperage and capacity) personally I’d go for a smaller more pocketable size.

+1 for 26650, but the future is the 21700.

But I am not glad with the dimension of 21700. Will 21700 be used in 4/8 cells lights, like Q8 or GT? This form would increase the diameter of tubes at least with 6mm.

I do not think 21700 has a future in 4/8 cell lights unless those lights have a handle.

I’d like to see 7*21700 with a handle though. Very good use of available space. :slight_smile:

We are talking about a single cell light, not an 8x18650 monster.

A 21700 light, in terms of actual size and usefulness, is better than a 26650 thick light.

Bouncing back here after these last 450 MORE posts since my first one I made. :smiley:

We know the 21700 is coming (and is really here already- we just need to all figure that out for ourselves one at a time) :stuck_out_tongue:

Sofirn first suggested a C8F with the 21700. I think that was (and still is) their plan. Perhaps they may work the triple head into their SP33 tube (a great 26650 light from them BTW) and call it something else. But if it is a “C” (anything) light… this usually means (to most here) a small, single cell, powerful light— in a 25mm (*or close to that) tube and 44mm (or so) head.

If all it’s going to take for Sofirn here is changing the tube length and tweaking the same sized head as some suggested adding more cooling (and in my suggestion: more room inside/20mm driver), I think that cost less for them than retrofitting to another tube size for the 26650 to fit— and if it gets “fatter”— it’s no longer a C8.

“To be or not to be a C8… that is the question.” (imo) Oh, and second question: do they come out with nice driver to really turn ON those emitters? Maybe ramping? :sunglasses:

Why not just Sofirn-up an F13?

It’s already a thrower, already takes a 26650, is quite meaty and can be pushed way harder than it is now, but could desperately use a better emitter/driver/UI, compared to what only comes off-the-rack now.