Sofirn IF22 & IF22A Comparison

Maybe it’s an orange peel reflector? :wink: :smiley:

I just ordered the Sofirn IF22A! Looking forward to it.

When we say 6500K tint, actually tint is around 6500K, it may be lower or higher a little bit. I guess that's why the left beam is slightly wamer than the right one. Or maybe due to the phone camera.

During Dragon Boat vacation, my family went back to my wife's hometown. Suprisingly, I found the old ThorFire C8 that has been used about 6 years, and it works well!

I compared C8 with latest IF22A, you can see in the videos. I didn't edit the videos. These videos show exactly how they perform in the dark.

The TIR is a clear winner and I like the classic design of the head.

These are beamshot pictures of IF22 & IF22A took by Japan customer.

IF22A

IF22

The problem with cellphone cameras is that they try to auto-balance based on light sensitivity. So this is why it’s hard to capture the actual brightness. I expect some phones with an advanced enough camera app can enable manual white balance control to affect that. But probably best to use a DSLR camera.

Nice beamshot comparison. Certainly there is always the matter of how much light is needed for a task. The Thorfire looks to have more generous spill. But the IF22A has amazing throw. I think it has enough spill to be useful for close range, while then delivering that amazing throw distance.

What a joke. It arrived after only 8 days! Will see that I post the review and comparison as fast as possible, but currently I’m very busy at work. If not this week, than next weekend.

I don’t know…… if I was only going to carry one for edc I think it would be the 22. In conjunction with a fill light I would go 22a. I don’t usually carry 2.

I want to date the 22a, but would bring the 22 home to mom :-).

Barry, does the IF22 use the same 8A buck driver from the SP35?

no

No, sadly it does not. Here’s a runtime diagram (full review still needs some days):

I would love a soft copy of that manual as well! :slight_smile:
I think I have figured most stuff out, and it’s a great light, no manual makes some stuff pretty hard though.

Received the IF22A. Would love a copy of the digital manual too, no paper manual included.

Just used it in the backyard with the dog:

• ramped it to one level that works well for our yard
  • spill is very low so doesn't blast the neighbors
  • easy 1 click ON,1 click OFF -- perfect for anyone in the house to use
  • easier to use than a zoomie
  • compact size but lots of run time
  • easy USB charging

It's about as perfect as a backyard light can get, well, maybe NW would be better... But still might order a couple/few more for gifting.

That’s too bad. SP35 has one of the best drivers i’ve seen in budget domain. My NO ATR version is amazing.

Dissapointing. Thanks for showing!

My review and beamshots are now available in a separate thread: Sofirn IF22A & IF22 beamshots and review [Update 2021-10-02]

Thank you for the comparison. A couple of questions I’m curious about

• Is it possible to make the LED on the button stay on so it’s easier to find in the dark? The button looks very hard to find by touch in the dark, and maybe impossible with gloves on.
  • For the hold-from-off to get to moonlight, does the light go on right away when pressed, or does it only turn on after you’ve held long enough to register moonlight? There are some older version of Anduril that turn on right away when pressed, and you have no way to judge if you’ve held it long enough for moonlight to be valid. Newer version of Anduril, when initially pressed, the light stays OFF, and then when held for long enough, the light turns on in moonlight. If released too soon, it goes to previous mode of course, but only after the release.
  • If you wanted a light to mount on a bike to look ahead, which would you choose? IF22 or IF22A?

Hi, you can try this ring so you can see it in the dark. Click to Check

You need to hold the switch for about 0.5s till the moonlight come out.

If you want to use IF22 or IF22A as bike light, I recommend IF22A which has a wider beam angle. You can see the difference in my video. Click to Check