Hello fellow BLFers. I have published a comprehensive review of the Sofirn Q8 Pro. I was quite surprised as this is the first Sofirn torch I reviewed to actually measure well over its specs! Please let me know what you think.
Q8 Pro wall beamshot pictures, Left side is 6000-6500K. The light is cooler. While the right side is 5000-5300K and the light is more neutral. Which one do you like better? Is the difference between these two as big as you thought?
The unit you got/reviewed appears to be the most recent batch, with the OP reflector.
1) earlier batch of Q8 Pro comes with (board "Q8Pro-A-A0 20210122"):
- Anduril 1 firmware (2020-03-18)
- has smooth reflector,
- can charge at QuickCharge 2.0 9v/12v
- powerbank output function also supports QuickCharge 2.0/3.0 (protocol detection with my USB meter indicates the power bank output also supports PD3.0 but I don't have a better way to test Power Delivery feature
2) recent batch of Q8 Pro now comes with (board "Q8Pro-A-A1 20210520"):
- Anduril 2 firmware (version 2021-06-06 model code 611)
- now has orange-peel reflector (I'm not sure if it will have much effect though compared to the previous SMO reflector)
- can only charge at 5v (up to 3A)
- powerbank out function also only outputs 5v (up to 3A), protocol detection with my USB meter indicates it supports DCP and Apple protocol (5v).
some other notes:
I believe the previous Sofirn 3000mAh 18650s use DLG batteries (no ring at the bottom)
The current Sofirn 3000mAh 18650 batteries seem to be BAK batteries (have ring at the bottom / negative side)
Thank you for the information d_t_a. I was not aware there was a previous batch with different characteristics. It is a pity they removed the QC and PD ability from the driver, it is something that would really add to the value of this product.
Nice review. Looks like a great upgrade from the original Q8.
I made my own Q8 Pro last year, by asking Sofirn if they’d be so kind as to solder 4 x 3v XHP50.2s onto an appropriate MCPCB, and they obliged! I think I was the first person to ask them to do this, and it seemed to spur a few others to want to do it, and also for them to release it as a product.
I have done a few other mods such as spring bypasses, brass screws, Anduril flashing, AR glass, stripped anodisation, and changed the button LED colour. It’s one of a kind! I measured just under 17,000 lumens in my Maukka-calibrated lumen sphere. It’s an absolute weapon.
I have an original BLF Q8 and Sofirn Q8 Pro - It is a worthwhile upgrade for the additional power and efficiency of the xhp50s and the convenience of USB charging. Either way I recommend upgrading the firmware in your Q8 to Anduril 2 - you will love it - I do.