Sofirn SP10 Pro (AA/14500/Andúril 2) - now available!

Sorry that I neglected to mention these were not official colors made by Sofirn. I really admire your Photoshop skills and appreciate your help. I will be more careful next time when reposting again. :)

I will definitely be buying 2 or more depending on LED and colour options.

I’m hoping high CRI options will be available, anything from 2700-5000k.

I love the Nimh support, I assume that means an alkaline would work in an emergency?

I'd be happy. if HIGH on liion could 300-400lumens...

I hope gchart can confirm actual numbers

As far as I am informed, Sofirn is considering LH351D in three tints (2700K, 4000K, 5000K), all in 90CRI. They could possibly offer 6000K 80CRI, too (which seems to be used in their new HS05 headlamp).

You can use following batteries in SP10 Pro...

1.5V AA alkaline (a.k.a. "alkaleaks") disposable

1.2V AA NiMH rechargeable

1.5V AA lithium primary disposable

3.7V 14500 lithium ion rechargeable

I am not so sure about 1.6V AA NiZn batteries, having a voltage of 1.85V when fully charged. Since these batteries are rare and expensive anyway, I do not think it is worth supporting them.

Sofirn is working on prototypes already. The plan is to send gchart and Tom E some testing samples before mass production starts.

Moreover, there is interest on Sofirn's side to offer a pogo pin flashing adapter as an optional accessory for SP10 Pro, SC21 Pro and any other future Sofirn flashlight with the 1616 MCU. It all depends on feasibility, material costs and last but not least on the actual demand. With the great help from gchart and Tom E I might be able to work out some bill of material for Sofirn.

Yes! I think it looks much better with this black button.

Also I think that this shorter bezel is an excellent idea :+1:

It’d be cool if they could get the 5700k 90cri LH351D that Convoy is using now.

Nice that black button! Is it possible to make all colours matte?

briefly yes

sustainable is more like 100 lumens on NiMh and about 150 lumens on LiIon:

The OP also has measured output of my SP10S with Anduril 2 in the Simple UI’s 5 levels. Since this is Anduril, you can always adjust the thermal limit and the ceiling level to your liking. Gotta keep in mind this is a small light.

How come SC21 (even smaller) outperforms SP10Pro?

Shame...:(

In that case, you don't need Anduril2, you don't need to set a ceiling cause it won't be possible to reach LOOOOOL

Because the SC21 is Lithium only while the SP10 Pro is dual chemistry. By smaller you mean in length? The SC21 is actually slightly heavier, according to the specs. Trade off between width and length.

Do you happen to have runtime graphs for High mode? Wondering if it also drops down to 150-ish after a short time or if it can maintain for an appreciably longer time. I know often on turbo modes we see this drastic dip before leveling off at a very much lower output but the same sometimes does not happen in other modes.

This light sounds like a cool project, I would be interested in buying one if it has 90+ CRI LED options with bins that have neutral to rosy DUV and a high R9 value.

1.) LED Preference:

• Luminus SST-20 2700k JA3 bin
  • Luminus SST-20 4000k FA3 bin
  • Nichia E21A 2000k, 2700k, 3500k, 4500k
  • Nichia 219B R9080 sw30, sw35, sw45k
  • Nichia 219C 4000k, 5700k
  • Samsung LH351D 5700k (5000k, 4000k and 2700k are too green)

Anduril is unique because with a 2000k LED we can turn a flashlight into a flickering candle, so if E21A is hard to get then something like a Cree XP-E amber LED might be a fun option.

2.) Personal use for AA light:

• Reading light
  • Backup camping light
  • Task light
  • EDC light

I like 2700k for reading or 3500k, but 4500k is a temperature that I find nice for the majority of tasks. I think 3500k is my favourite colour temperature for a jack of all trades as it is warm enough for ambient use and cold enough for work tasks. I do not care about high lumen output, especially in a AA light. This flashlight would probably see most of it use at around 10 lumens indoors to about 50 lumens outdoors. Having an LED that looks pleasing is important. I prefer to have a high CRI flashlight with a lower max output and a rosy tint than a low CRI flashlight with high output and ugly green tint.

3.) Easily removeable magnet:

I understand magnets are useful but I do not like having a magnet in my flashlight as I always have to be careful they don’t touch my watch and damage the movement or interfere with credit cards. If the SP10 Pro has a magnet in the tail I would prefer that it is easily removable.

4.) Interchangeable optics that are easy to source:

It would be cool if the optics were as easily interchangeable as Convoy S2+ so I could switch between a beaded TIR or an orange peel reflector. For close tasks like reading I don’t like a strong hotspot on the page. Orange peel is probably the jack of all trades option but 10 or 20 degrees beaded TIR optic is ideal for reading whilst also retaining a decent amount of throw. The beaded TIR would also smooth out any tint shift or beam artifacts. If interchangeable optics are not possible and I had to choose one optic I would say a narrow beaded TIR like the Skilhunt E2A would be quite versatile.

5.) AA Flashlights I own that are close to perfect:

• Manker E03 - Really nice smooth beam profile with TIR. High CRI SST-20 4000k is a versatile temperature. The UI is good. The magnet can be removed without damaging anything.
  • Skilhunt M150 - 5000k LH351D has lemon green tint shift, this could have been decent with a beaded TIR. It has two magnets, and magnetic charging is unnecessary on a AA sized light.

6.) To summarise:

• Ability to have Beaded TIR optic.
  • High CRI and rosy.
  • Warm temperature to make use of candle mode.

I’m with id30209 in this train of thought. Would be pretty unique if a regulated high output could be flatly sustained over a longer run without the need for advanced programming. I’m all in for the 1 minute mile turbo, but would love to see a 50% step-down with some stamina. I’d be happy with 30-40 minutes at 350-400 lumens on a full stock 14500. Not sure if it’s even possible with this LED, but even a slow taper after 30 minutes would be satisfactory. 200 in the same vein for NIMH seems reasonable. Correct me if I’m off the mark here.

Also I think that this shorter bezel is an excellent idea :+1:

[/quote]

Did you put FWAA Triple and Optic in sp10b?

Nop, I didn’t and as I mentioned in my post:
I tried the FWAA bezel on the SP10B host for illustrative purposes (the bezel doesn’t fit).

I would still like it shorter but I will accept it as it is/will be :wink:

im super excited on this project and big thanks to those organizing and testing :slight_smile:

Will buy a bunch of these light :slight_smile:

Welcome to BLF, Andometto! :) Thank you for your detailed input. As much as I agree with everything you said, that's not going to happen anytime soon because:

• An interchangeable TIR optic was never part of the SP10 Pro design. Instead, Sofirn made some minor improvements over SP10S in their revised design. I have not seen any actual pictures yet but the basic host design seems still the same.
  • Sourcing high-quality TIR optics in that size seems to be challenging. Most of us would assume it cannot be that difficult since Hank, Simon, Jacky and many more flashlight makers have access to these parts. Sofirn does not for reasons unknown.
  • Same thing applies to the alternative emitters, especially Nichia LEDs. Barry put a lot of efforts in requesting E21A LEDs from Nichia, Japan when I ran the C01S E21A project that had to be canceled eventually. In the end, Sofirn's purchasing dept. was unsuccessful in buying Nichia LEDs.
  • You (and many more here) ask for rosy tints with negative Duv. I have asked Sofirn the same many times already. Their answer always was: We cannot pick any particular chromaticity bins. Maybe, if I was in closer communication to their purchasing dept., there would some way to ask for specific information from their suppliers. But that would probably lead way too far, so I leave it as is.
  • Other emitters than Samsung's LH351D have significantly different forward voltages (Vf), thus these LEDs would require different drivers. I do not think this is a feasible option right now.

Thanks for welcoming me Lux-Perpetua and for your helpful reply! I realise reading back through my post I must come across as extremely picky lol. I appreciate that a lot of effort has gone into this project and some of my suggestions are probably unreasonable. I have quite a collection of flashlights, and when I buy a new one I lose appreciation for some of my older ones that are not as “nice” anymore.

Buying a sw45k light ruined a lot of my older lights :smiley: but if you only see a LH351D by itself with nothing to compare it to it’s quite good. I was playing around with some of my LH351D flashlights last night just for close tasks and I had forgotten how good they were. For this project I can see how it would make a good choice of emitter. I think I have seen them in 2700k, 3500k, 4000k, 5000k, and 5700k so it’s good that they have a range of temperatures. It would be cool if Sofirn offered them all but my favourites are 2700k, 3500k, and 5700k.

If it can’t have a TIR then I think the next best thing would be an OP reflector, which to be honest is probably better for outdoors.