solar force Z2

Lol check post 10, there is a runtime graph for a 2400eneloop…

Runtime is good, you have to consider that this is a nimh so if the emmitter sees 0.5A you have to pull 1A from the battery, then driver efficiency will steal another 200mA and there you have your 2 hours runtime…

Thanks for the picture in front of the coca cola sign. The most red anodized lights are a bit pink, for example this one or the olights.
the only red one I could find was a sipik sk68.

Anyone popped a 14500 in one of these bad boys?

Official specs say Input Voltage 1.5V.

Not going to risk a 14500 in mine when it runs so well on NiMH. Good output, no overheating.

For a $17 light it seems a very good buy. Time will tell how durable it is but the beam profile and mode selection is good. Could perhaps do with a slightly lower low.

i don’t quite know how circuitry works but if its not designed for it i can see the driver being fried and ending up with an expensive paperweight

+1. This.

They are avid BLFers?

I asked because I’ve seen lights that worked fine with a 14500 even though it didn’t specifically say it would. Was just curious if anyone had tried it. Figured somebody already would have. :cool:

Really like it. Probably will get a few next month.
Get all 5 color set, each piece will cost @$15.99. Cheaper than $21/pc at BG.

13:20#81MikieGOnlineLast seen: 10 sec agoTitle: ★★Joined: 12/12/2012Posts: 66Location: USSend PMI have the Z2. Pretty niceI have the Z2. Pretty nice edc light. I am running on duracel 1800mAh batterys now. Getting ready for the new duracell 2400mAh.The only thing I see is the clip is a bit high on the light body. This cal lead to losing the light. It carries button up. I have found the light on in my pocket. And once found it dead. So I decided to swap the clip to the other end of the light. This is perfect for clipping to the bill of your hat around camp or for hiking. But not for pocket carry. The clip to body fit it loose thus the clip grasp on the pocket is weak. You will surely loose this light if carried like this. I also do not like lense up carry because the exposed lense is probe to damage.Today I carry the light loose at the bottom of my pocket. Ordering 2 pink ones for wife and daughter this month.

Unless Solarforce specified that Z2 accepts 14500 format, i dont think it’s wise to use it instead of the AA rechargeable NiMh and ordinary AA (lithium/alkalines). AA rechargeables are rated at about 1.2V while non-rechargeable AA’s are rated at about 1.5V. A typical 14500 is rated at about 3.7V which is more than double the specified voltage allowed on the Z2. Anything higher than 1.5V could still work and surely would even make your Z2 shine brighter than specified, but dont be surprised if one day your Z2 will just start showing problems because the circuitry is fried or messed up. Fenix for one, also shares this kind of limitation on some of their lights, which makes them cheaper compared to nitecore and Zebralight counterparts. Better safe than sorry… :slight_smile:

Anyone actually contacted the manufacturer to ask them?

I just received my Z2. Delivery was surprisingly fast (8 days) when compared to other china stores.
Quality seems to be really good for the price, and the only downside I see is the slight inductor whine that my light makes on the lower modes.

It says “Input voltage: 1.5V” on the side, so you most likely cant use 14500’s. But it wont matter, NIMH/primary lithium/alkaline is enough to choose from. :slight_smile:

Same “problem” on my light. The whine is noticeable if you have the light attached to a head band. Noticeable from about 20/25 cm distance from the ear.

I received my light a month ago. Build quality is really good. In my opinion the modes are well spaced. The moon mode is with 4 lumen a bit high for my personal preferences. Nice little light.

I have a Z2 and I love it. I carry it to places where I am afraid to drop or damage my zebralights. This one is a beater for me, all-around great and reliable light.

I just got one and am very impressed with it so far especially for the price!

Dear friend,

Thanks for your email and nice to have a chance to serve you

For Z1 and Z2, we will think about of this in the coming future

Thanks for your email and suggestion and wish you all the best

Welcomce purchaes anytime

Regards

JO

Sales Team

On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 9:03 AM, wrote:

Hi, any plans to make the Z1 and Z2 Li-Ion compatible? I’d purchase
at least one of each if so.

Your a friend now, perhaps that entitles you to give them friendly advice J)

Does this light have PWM?

I really like this light, would like to order if I can decide on a color! (And if its not PWM which I cant stand :frowning: )

I’ve been EDC’ing the SolarForce Z2 at work as a backup light for about seven days, now. It runs on an eneloop NiMH (like almost everything else I have which will accept AA-sized cells)

The Z2 actually does work with 14500 li-ions; albeit it gets fairly warm after five minutes on high; a proper little hand warmer. Holding it tightly will wick away just enough heat so it won’t be uncomfortably hot.

Electronic components in general do not like heat very much in the long run, so I wouldn’t promote to leave it on your desk for purposes of ceiling bounce lighting for longer than ten minutes. It does get rather hot after that.

Total runtime with a freshly charged 900mA 14500 was 37 minutes on high (the cell measured 3.003V on my Gossen Metra DMM when the torch just switched off by itself, and after that, and wouldn’t turn on anymore. I put the eneloop back in, and it lit right up. By the way, this little light cools off amazingly fast.)

UI is not affected by 14500 Li-Ions; the torch will still first light up in the highest mode, the other modes are equally unaffected.

The only concern I have about the Z2 is the switch, which seems to be pressed into the rear of the battery tube. Not only does that smell a bit of “planned obsolescence” to me, but I’m also a bit worried how well it will hold up against water submersion.

my personal mini-review:

PROS:

-brass pill with semi-square cut (more like trapezoidal) threads
-tacticool forward clicky switch
-as always, perfect machining and nice knurling
-green GITD lens O-ring gasket
-nice hand warmer for those cold winter nights
-nice and surprisingly sturdy clip
-a stock Z2 with a 14500 is brighter than a stock Fenix LD10 on eneloops (at three times the cost, I won’t risk the LD10!)
-a lot cheaper than a Fenix LD10, and even more cheaper than a 4sevens Quarc Tactical QTA
-no silly blinky modes

CONS:

-brass pill should have been a copper pill, really
-no apparent way to replace the tacticool forward clicky switch
-a stock Fenix LD10 on eneloops is brighter than a stock Z2 on eneloops

CONCLUSION:

So far, I am pretty much certain that I will buy at least three more of those Z2s as birthday presents for close workmates. Mine will have to pass a couple more tests, though; but I think running a 14500 in it was about the most severe thing I could do to it. Maybe a drop test (or a dozen) from 1.80m/ six feet, and the ubiquitous industrial dishwasher @ 90°C/ 194°F run for two and a half hours.

please note:

1) The lens on both the Fenix and the SF cannot be easily changed if damaged; so I won’t judge the Z2 on that.
2) Since we’re all flashaholics who like to clean and re-lube any threads regardless if they came cleaned and pre-lubed at all, cleanliness and lack of lube on threads and O-rings won’t be even mentioned (oh, to whom it concerns - the Z2 came with clean threads, but zero lube… hence the “Z” in the model name, perhaps? :stuck_out_tongue: )
3) I will not compare it to a Nitecore EZAA for obvious reasons: the EZAA is discontinued and hence too precious, it is three years old already, and it’s a twisty, not a clicky.
4) Whether or not the ano is type II or III is not really a question for me - most of my HA (type III) torches show more wear than all of my type II M@glites together. I suspect that the layer of a HA finish is too brittle compared to the softness of the parent material, in general. Abrasion resistance is not to be confused with plastic deformation resistance… at least, that’s my conclusion. And, don’t we all like lights with character and personality, proudly telling their stories, an showing their battle marks? :wink:

Great comments and review - Can you let me know if you think its PWM or CC?

Also what color did you get? Thanks.