Solarforce L2's just arrived. Wasn't happy, Am Now!

I just sent them a email also.

Hopefully they will replace/refund the hosts.

I told him if he didn't have the (high quality without machining problems) L2 Gray/sand hosts in stock, he could replace the order with a P1 host and L2P host... Wouldn't that be great?! (doubt that will happen though)

We shall see how good the customer service is at solarforce, and if they back up their products.

marcl -

Up until about the last six months or so, everyone's high regard for the L2 (and all Solarforce products, for that matter) was well earned. Counting my own and those bought for others, I've ordered several dozen L2s, L2Ps and L2is and until recently, every single one arrived completely flawless and in spectacular condition. I routinely made fun of people playing the xxxFire/502x lottery when a clearly superior alternative could be had at reasonable cost. I defended Solarforce quality at every opportunity because their consistency was second to none.

At first, I thought the random stinker was just that. Then more people reported issues. Then, I received a sand L2 with aluminum curlys still wrapped around the rear threads. I carefully cleaned all of them out and the cap would go on but the threads felt worse than any Fandyfail I've ever seen. Right now, the cap will not come off. It's like it is welded on.

What a tragedy if Solarforce becomes just another cheap host but you must know that it was not always this way. I hope it still isn't but I begining to be concerned.

Also, every 6P I've ever seen has router marks in the flat name-brand area.

worriedFoy

You should change the topic title to "Defective solarforce hosts"

Here's some of the sloppy machine marks and scratches on the sand colored versions I received. I don't have a good camera so it's hard for me to take pictures of these details, but you can clearly see all kinds of scratches and nicks on the inside of the head and around the corners.

Keep in mind, this is a brand new host, fresh out of the package. Hard to believe huh??

I feel sad seeing those photos. Can't believe Solarforce gone so low..

On the other hand, I received my L2x extended body on Friday. It was in a nice black gift box and in mint condition! No dents whatsoever, anodizing is perfect, no machining errors, ...

I am glad you have joined the thread Foy, as I know you have a serious passion, maybeobcessionFoy, for these lights, and it was your reviews I read over and over again. It's just a shame that solarforce have let things slip. I have never had a solarforce before and I bet the same can be said for a lot of people, so imagine the horror when your very first solarforce turns up looking like this? I can honestly say that if this was a cheap clone from DX I would not be happy, but to get a genuine solarforce like this is inexcusable! And would reiterate that I think these are being made on the cheap somewhere else. quite possible by a different manufacturer than they used to be to save costs. I don't believe that a manufacturer can make beautifully machined torches one month and crap the next.

On a side note you have an L2T don't you Foy? How is it, you like?

Marc.

Don't see why not. I won't be accepting anything less than a credit to put towards a better torch, maybe L2t. I don't see the point in sending me 2 more L2s, it's quite clear from your photo's that there is a good chance I will get 2 more crap ones.

Having examined my sand L2 it is similar to yours, scratches on the inside, very sharp bezel and my logo is too high on both sides making it touch the knurling.

I don't see the point sending them out, they must be getting lots of complaints!

Marc.

Must have been a bad batch. SF should have listed that in the details and reduced the price more.

I agree, the problem is if I had have known they would turn up like this, I don't think I would want them at any price. Not when a perfect one is so inexpensive.

Marc.

Exactly!

I had bought these hosts for a friend who wanted 2 of them, I was going to put the UF 3 mode drop-in in them (ordered those as well), and then give 2 away as a gift.

I dont feel comfortable giving these away, or selling them.

Another thing I noticed: The packaging was cut open on one of the hosts before I even opened it. I would hate to give the light as a gift like that!

It makes you wonder if these were factory seconds or returned hosts...

Like _the_ said, I recently received an L2X extended and a black L2T and both were in absolute flawless condition. As read all this and reflect on my own purchases, my bad experience is limited to my sand L2. Off the top of my head, I recall your sand L2 and a bad L2i that benckie (I think) got.

During the last month, I've received 2 new version L2s, 2 L2Ps for customers and the aforementioned L2T/L2X and all were flawless so, maybe my comments are premature.

I will admit however, to feeling betrayed when I recommend a light so strongly and something like this happens. Hopefully they will make it right and you can see, perhaps why so many of us love the brand. I will say that I won't hesitate to order again from Solarforce. Of course if this continues that could change but for now (excepting these bad pieces) they remain the P60 host benchmark.

loyalfornowFoy

Same here Foy, I've ordered from solarforce quite a few times and I've never had anything but a positive experience and top notch flawless hosts....

Until now...

From my four or so years hangtime around the torch forums...I've come to note that when the China Xpress people deeply discount, you can probably expect something other than what you think you will be gettting. I did not order any of these because of my former experience with such. JMO. YMMV.

With the above said,,,I must say that I have 2 pristine examples of the Solarforce hosts. L2P & L2.

I payed @ $35 for the pair and they are perfect. Got em through LightHound.

I would agree with you but for the fact they are not deeply discounted. They were only a couple of dollars cheaper and if it was DX then Yes I would be weary. but direct from Solarforce? Nah! I would simply say that there is just no quality control on this host, just bins full of them being sent out.

I am hoping for a reply from Jo tomorrow, I will keep you posted!

Marc.

That's not right! You can't send something out like that!

Marc.

A point to be raised: Why would Solarforce send these out? Surely they knew of the condition. If they did, and I assume they did...this indicates a negative in their column of business ethics.

Why not reveal the condition and let you decide if you want to pay the asking price?

What has happened here just seems to me to be Chinese business as usual practices.

Loose lips would have sunk their ships (clearout sale).

Personally... I always had great luck with solarforce and they reminded me more of a USA company the way they handles their business.

After receiving this crap, it reminds me of things I would receive when I ordered from DealExtreme.

I wont be completely satisfied unless solarforce replaces the hosts with something else ( a P1 and a L2P) OR at least gives me store credit/refund. I know one thing, I'm not shipping these hosts back to HK on my dime.

I'm holding off on ordering any new hosts until I see what other people are receiving.

I hope they didn't switch to a different factory making the lights.

I came back to revisit this thread and in my November 2009 picture of the Solar L2 you can see the same odd looking tooling marks in front of the Sloarforce logo. I never noticed it before, but its a condition that definitely dates back to 2009 and even earlier perhaps.

yes I can see it clearly. I know what it is, if you pay close attention to the marks you will notice that the groove is machined deeper on that side, you can feel it. Therefore the treads where the torch is joined (not screw threads) show through. The problem is, they have obviously been doing this since at least 2009 which makes it worse in my opinion. The question is how many come out like this? I know not all of them have these marks or we would have seen them in reviews.

Marc.

I have received an L2P in an opened package.

It had some scratches. Almost 2 years ago, it was my first order.

Send a defect/returned one to first-time customers to get away with it since they probably have no reference about quality??