Solarstorm T3 and T4

Depends if you plan to mod it.

well…maybe…but i dont think now,if it has any sense…what i see now-solarstrom -for on /off i must use my second hand? its twisty? the white button os for changing the modes,but for on”off i must move the head

Based on my Terminator with the same switch and battery compartment on/off label I will use the twisty lockout for transport of the light if there is a chance of the switch being activated like in a backpack, briefcase or suitcase. Also probably use it to minimize parasitic drain due to it being an electronic switch when the light is not going to be used for a while. Otherwise if the light is a regular use one then just treat the switch like that on any other light unless the lit switch bugs you or in a stealth situation.

For safety reasons, and the very easily knocked on switches on the M6 and SRK style lights, I treat them the same way. Lock out if transporting it and for long term storage, otherwise rely on the switch. It is not atomic physics, just a bit of logic and common sense.

i mean-i must move with the head to on/off?

ANY light with a side switch that has lockout available I will pack and transport in the locked out configuration. Too many instances I have read of where side switch lights come on in pockets or luggage which can be a safety hazard.

The main transparent button on the side turns it on and off. The other on and off is the twisting of the body to cut power if you are transporting it in your pocket or backpack. That way you don’t get accidental turn on. The twisting of the body is also advised for storage purposes so you cut off any parasitic drain from the batteries.

Most lights with anodized threads operate this way. Solarstorm just added the print on the body to let the less informed flashlight buyers know about this feature.

Twisting the body for turn off is sometimes faster than turning it off with some electronic side switch lights.

Ha ha, i’m not sure if I would want to work over there. I have just been advising them about all our flashlight gripes. I have given them graphic designs of lights and features we want or don’t need. For instance, many of their latest lights have sos removed. I just don’t see any need for SOS. If they must have the strobe mode in their light, it better be hidden. 3 X 18650 is the direction I advised them to take. Not the 4 x 18650. They almost made these new lights in 4 x 18650 but I had a lot of convincing to do. Too damn fat and uncomfortable. I also highly recommended the light up side button like the K2 with green for on and red for low battery. Flat anodizing was also a must and i’m glad the T3 and T4 have that. I didn’t win on the design of the battery tube. Such a shame. I wanted more knurling and a flat end with a design like the K2, and lanyard hole machined into the side like K2 and warrior. I can get that design but it would require an order of 300 pieces. :frowning:

There are many more features that we all want but I can’t get those features right now. Features such as coated glass and high quality springs would be swell. It all comes down to keeping the cost down right now. There is a copy and price war going on over there in shenzen. They are trying to remain in the middle of the road. Budget high quality, not high or low quality. They purchased a ton of regular xml leds back when it was the only thing available and continue to get them cheap. They are using xml in these lights to allow other expensive features such as, light up side button, high output and high quality drivers. Eventually they will run out of xml and carry 100% xm-l2 lights. And I do agree, XM-l2 would of been nice but right now it’s a no go. I’m sure these lights will become available on other sites such as fasttech or banggood etc with XM-l2. Ric at CnQ was probably just in a hurry to get his hands on these.

Their main goal was to continue the fight against their local sky ray king and kung copiers by offering a light that is brighter, better looking, better feel in hand, thinner than 4 x 18650 and has a nice light up side button. And the price has to be about as low as the sky ray king. The T3 output is brighter than the warrior, and the warrior was a pretty darn bright sob. Eventually the T3 and T4 will be copied but they are just trying to stay a few steps ahead.

I agree 100% the battery tube on the K2 was perfect. Flat on the end with lanyard hole on the side. That is my main gripe with the T3 and T4.

phsinvent;

My two big complaints about many of the Chinese soup can lights are their powering up in high output mode and the low mode is still way too high. I want a moonlight mode and a <50 lumens low mode included. Be nice too if Turbo was on a timer to prevent light damage and they included battery protection cutoff.

I know what you mean. These lights have high, med, low and hidden strobe. It has been a giant struggle just to get them to hide strobe and remove SOS. PWM is another on going battle.

I doubt they will ever give these big lights a moonlight mode. They don’t understand a need for moon mode like we would. All they think is that we take these giant lights out into the deep woods or caves. Reading a book in a tent or looking for something in your bedroom in the middle of the night aren’t things that they think about. But then again, i’m not sure if I would use a giant 3 or 4 xml2 light for those tasks. They would argue that little lights are used for those tasks.

Blackshadow tried making lights start in low mode on the sc01, sc02 and sc03 but everyone complained that they should start on high. I think the main issue with the sc lights was the pwm. I really didn’t mind the ramping low but others hate it. The old K2 started in low mode also.

I really don’t mind cycling through a few brightness levels. But I absolutely cannot stand to cycle through those modes, plus strobe and sos.

I think this thread, along with many, many others, proves the point that you can't please everyone and that people will be negative about something they have never seen or used themselves. I'm very guilty of it too, so I'm not pointing fingers, but it just struck me that when it comes to a flashlight, the only way to be satisfied is to have one custom made to a person's exact specifications, but by the time it arrived, it would not be satisfactory. It seems like there is nothing that will satisfy.

Turbo with a step down timer is one of my favorites. I’ve mentioned it many times when we have arguments about using a copper led star mount. I just can’t get them to adopt copper or turbo step down right now.

The biggest issue is that they want to be middle of the road. But I guess there is nothing wrong with being middle of the road quality because there might be less competition there. They don’t want to be a Sunwayman or Nitecore. And they certainly don’t want to be an ultrafire.

Very true. All we ever had for the past 70 years is a simple on and off high with incandescent bulbs. Then modes are introduced with led and the modes become annoying.

Blackshadow is the original designer of the king and kung. Fast forward several years until now. T3 and T4 take advantage of the wasted chrome real estate in the front. T3 and T4 have deeper and wider reflectors.

phsinvent, thanks for working with them. Too bad you couldn't get everything you wanted, but the light it still good even if it's not as good as we would have liked. Do you know if the tailcap is part of the battery tube, or if it can be removed? I'm hoping it's the latter so it can be swapped with a tailcap that has a good lanyard attachment point.

Well even though not perfect so far as I can see I have two on order, one of each. I will see what I think when I actually have them in hand and try to judge just how much the listed Lumens outputs have been exaggerated. I also have a Mountain Electronics M6 on order with the latest firmware modification that Richard came up with, at least partly at my suggestion/request. It includes last mode memory and “direct to off” from any of the seven output levels. No SOS or strobe modes at all and it still retains the step-up or step-down capability. To me as close to ideal as possible at least theoretically and I have a light with it coming in order to try it out in real life.

Low lows are desirable IMO for any light as with modern electronics they are weightless, cheap to add and increase the versatility of a light so why not have them. To not do so seems kind of stupid, or at least stiff-necked, to me.

whats with the twisty off on?

From prior posts, it's just there to let people know about tail cap lockout. You can still turn it off with the switch. It's a clever way to "add" a feature and get customers to use it.

so i choose between this 4 led version or suprfire m6…:slight_smile:
but i saw video of supfire-i dont knderstand-if you want to off it,you must go trough all modes? or how to off this light?

For the normal M6, if you hold the switch for awhile, the light goes off.

EDIT: It also has anodized threads, so you can just turn the tail a bit, and the light goes off.