Solarstorm T3 and T4

Soooo. Has anyone ordered a T3 or T4 yet?

Richwouldnt ordered both (mentioned in post 7).

Im looking forward to hear what the buyers have to say when they get them. :)

See Post #7 above :bigsmile:

Gall, my bank account is hating. I want one but I have prefer 5 light in 2 weeks.

Oh ok. Sounds like the output will be similar or higher than the Solarstorm Warrior.

Seriously? You 're clamoring to give these MAP Nazis your money?

There are many "MAP Nazis".. Most don't get caught. And most people forget.

In general I try to avoid the companies that are "MAP nazis". But sometimes I like to buy an Xtar charger,Fenix, Olight etc brand light... But only if the price can be justified. There are so many premium brands that enforce MAP that at one point you can not avoid them all. And then there are the "higher-end" budget lights where certain companies try to maintain high prices.

Im not too tempted on Blackshadow. How many from BLF would buy a Terminator for the full 150$ price?? Sometimes its obvious when MAP is enforced.

Sometimes brands with same owner have different policy. Im not sure Solarstorm products have MAP. I certainly don't get the impression that T3, T4 and many of their other lights have. Id rather buy products that offer great value and consistency over products that doesn't.

Ive been very happy with my Solarstorm lights considering the price and build quality, so im not putting that brand on my avoid list if they offer interesting and well made lights at good prices.

I fully understand if someone wants to avoid them though.

The main reason I have not bought yet is because of the vendors these are sold by. And I have two SRK style lights to modify first + several other projects. So Ill wait and see how good these lights are. And if they are good, hopefully they become available from a vendor I prefer better at a lower price. :)

For the price it might be better to get the RMM supfire m6

Something similar to MAP used to be legal in most states in the USA but it actually limited the minimum price an item could be sold for. I cannot remember but believe that it was made illegal by a court decision in the late 1950s or early 1960s, at least in California. It still semi exists in that manufacturers or distributors can by contract list the minimum advertised price that can be publicly listed. Web dealers get around it by not listing the actual selling price until the item is in the purchaser’s cart. This is where the “price too low to list” BS comes from. Frequently done by Battery Junction and other American flashlight dealers. If you see such a sign it is a pretty good indication that the wholesale source for the given item has contract restrictions with dealers listing the minimum advertised price they can publicly list a particular item for.

Not sure what the rules are in China as far as this is concerned but considering the listed discounts some dealers offer as soon as the quantity ordered is two or more then apparently the MAP price limitation only applies to single quantity retail pricing.

Quite clean looking

The battery lockout function is on the SRK as well…a 1/4 turn (sometimes less) breaks the connection between the driver and the battery assembly

Interested to find out the driver diameter and to see images of the internals…let’s hope they heatsink them well

“off (Long press 3 seconds)”.

I have two lights with that obnoxious design. Not buying another one. Making me wait and count seconds to turn on or off a light is too darn irritating.

The SupFire M6 has that feature in the stock UI but it is about a 1.5 second estimated switch hold down and the light goes off while the switch is still depressed. What I dislike with the M6 stock UI is coming on in high output mode and no truly low output setting. Having strobe and SOS in the main mode sequence is also annoying.

My M6 came from Mountain Electronics. I love the user interface in that light. Just click to cycle up, or slightly longer click to cycle down. No goofy double clicks, or 3 second long clicks.

Perfection.

I can’t wait for them to come back in stock.

The reflectors on the T4 look deeper than the average 4-emitter SRK, Warrior, or Kung. Looks like this light will have a bit more throw than a SRK or Warrior.

Why compare stock vs modified?

Modified always wins. It can be tailored to your preferences.

IMO DrJones lumodrv (R86 edition) is in a completely different league compared to the different STAR UI`s.

Less modes lets you go quickly to the mode you want (or many modes if you prefer that). Ramping lets you fine tune output. Possibility to instantly turn the light off from whatever mode with a single click. User programmable modes (can be changed on the fly by the user). Battery indicator. Several shortcuts. Hidden disco modes. Momentary feature (not on R86 edition). Mode memory but also ability to start in lowest or highest modes. Low voltage cut off and "battery life extender when low on power". Most of these features are nice to have and mostly lacking in the STAR firmware.

And that is just my UI preference on this type of light.

What I like about the T3 is the size. Seems like a king/M6 thats been on a small diet. Back part of the head is thinner like the battery tube, so I predict a more comfortable/natural grip compared to M6. Based on pictures anodizing also looks more attractive to me compared to the more cheap/glossy looking finish on the M6. Also looks like it will tailstand with better stability compared to M6, and that it have less mass/weight at the back. Rubber switches are usually more waterproof too. (Sure there are advantages to the M6 too, but its a slightly larger/thicker light. More a direct rival to a SRK than T3).

There are no good and safe sources for a Quad light as far as I know. The T4 is a quad with a 3 cell battery tube. First of its kind as far as I know. The reflector design looks promising too. Not sure if its deeper (no pro for me unless its wider). But it seems like its a tad wider/generally larger compared to the typical quads. Look how close the emitters are to the edge of the reflector and how little flat surface area you see. Maybe its just the picture..

Kung vs T4

I might have too high expectations to these lights, but unless they have a hollow head or something bad, they look promising. (Promising as a mod host, which I consider all lights to be)

I think many lights seems promising until I receive them and do a teardown. Then its usually.. "meh, at least it was cheap and I can mod it to become decent". :D

SRK (clones) have just gotten worse and worse. So I highly welcome these lights, both of which are a bit different to the M6, SRK and all its clones.

Why haven't daylighter bought these yet? :D

My biggest concern is that the electronic switch is directly attached to the driver. That basically restricts driver swapping to piggy backing. The lanyard attachment is a disappointment too. I liked the way it was done on the K2, but even two holes close together would have allowed a lanyard to be attached without going under the tail.

Another issue with swapping or piggybacking the driver is that you will lose the LED battery indicator under the switch.

Wow, you worked for them officially? :smiley:

Both T3 and T4 looks good, and I’m more interested about the T4, potentially more lumens perhaps. But why aren’t the LEDs XM-L2? AFAIK nowadays these XM-L2 are not really that much more expensive than XM-L. And hopefully the PWM frequency will not be noticeable in low and medium modes.

so what to choose? this one or supbeam m6?:laughing: