Sold out: $20 HD2010 & $15 Convoy C8 copper pills

Stittville Ed and MRTdiver, I’ve shipped your pills out, thanks for your patience! :slight_smile:

Ordered another one… :slight_smile:

Ryan, you need to update your available stock numbers, according to my calculations you are out of C8 pills and only have 1 or 2 HD2010 pills left. :wink:

Great run dude, really nice work!

Haha, you’re spot on with the numbers!

I’ll ship your guys’ pills out Monday. :slight_smile:

I’m pretty new to the game here, and just ordered my first Convoy C8. There’s just not that many nice hosts available for the DIY builder, and the Convoy C8 really fills an awesome niche in the market between design, size, quality, availability, and affordability. I really wish I was a little earlier in the game, while these copper pills were still plentiful. It just seems a nice Convoy C8 with one of these pills, can do almost anything you need it to. I just don’t like not being able to solder the driver on the factory aluminum pill, and the price of these was fantastic for such a quality upgrade. I don’t know of any flashlight host that comes from the factory with a solid copper pill.

This thread was started only 3 months ago, and if you say the run was 70 pills, and almost all of them sold in 3 months, I definately think another run should happen (I’m sorry if I am mistaken, and it has taken longer). A product this nice, should be kept available, as there are always going to be new DIY’ers looking to soup up their Convoy C8’s, which is THE standard in budget light host. I easily see myself buying a bunch of Convoy C8 copper pills in the next year, if they would be available.

Bar none, until another better host comes on the market, the Convoy C8 is going to remain the standard, and these copper pills are a MANDATORY upgrade for the enthusiast. It would have been even nicer if the Convoy C8 copper pill was modified to accept a 20mm MCPCB, which almost looks possible.

You get my vote to make another run of the Convoy C8 pills. Did you decide yet, if you will do another run in the future?

drdanke, I just found a C8 pill that I had set aside because it has some black specs on the underside that I noticed when I got it from the machine shop. If you want it, I can give you free unregistered shipping for it because if its aesthetic imperfections. Let me know if you want it!

As for a second run of these pills, the machine shop wanted a rather large order at a time, and since most members have fulfilled their copper desires, I’ll leave the periodic production to members with direct access to lathes, such as the well renowned VestureofBlood.

My opinion on this model differs significantly. Now if it were the M1, I’d be more inclined to agree.

For entry level flashaholics in training, the Convoy C8 is a no brainer. At under $11 as a DIY host, this in an incredible place to start. I have been working on 3 lights, with 3 of the mainstream emitters, comparing output and beam quality with a range from 600 - 1700 lumens. Pretty much whatever you want can be had right here in this light. And Ryan’s pill made it another no-brainer for those pushing the limits. With Ryan’s copper pill in a C8 with an MT-G2, the light was still putting out at 2-3 minutes what the original aluminum pill did at 30 seconds. Can’t beat that. This massive emitter is an oven in the heat department, and that alone usually knocks it’s output down significantly when run that first minute. At 2 minutes, in Ryan’s copper pill, I saw a 114 lumen drop. Not at 30 seconds, but a full 2 minutes with no circulation and the head stuck in foam in a lightbox. That’s significant!

Ok, sure, I also stuffed an MT-G2 in a chopped AA MiniMag. At 3A it makes 1345 lumens OTF in Mule configuration. Batteries are virtually dead in about 30 seconds. Working on that. :wink:

I had seen everyone talking about the C8 for quite a while, and frankly, I didn’t care for the tri- shape of the head. But now that I’ve seen the fit and finish, and how well they perform with or without the aid of copper, I really like the C8 form factor. In the last month or so I’ve gone from none, to 5. :slight_smile: Oops! Make that 6. lol 4 of those have Ryan’s copper goodness in em. One won’t take the pill, and I’m very disappointed with her for that. lol (XinTD V4)

All in all, I have to agree that it would be an excellent idea to have these in stock somewhere. Have em made, get Richard to sell em for you. :wink:

Thanks for the great offer (and I really do appreciate it), but right now, expendable funds are in hibernation mode. This time of year (winter), business is very slow for me, so I don’t have much fun money to spend each month, but on the plus side, it enables me to spend more time reading, learning, and tinkering, than would be possible in the warmer months when I almost have no free time. In a couple more months, if anybody has these pills available, I will definately be in the market for a bunch of them for planned builds, but right now, I am just excited to receive my first Convoy C8 from Richard, and make plans for future builds, as funds loosen up. I will definately be building an MT-G2 light in either the C8 or M1 host (or probably both, as the MT-G2 tint is incredible in the beamshots I have seen), powered by 2x AW18350’s, and a zener modded 105c.

These copper pills are just something that would be great to be in stock at Mountain Electronics, so they are available when people like us need them.

I already want to do the same thing as DBCstm, but with 4 matching copper pilled C8’s, with an XP-G2, Triple-XP-G2, XM-L2, and MT-G2, each driven to their useful max, each on a single 18650.

No problem mate!

My offer for free shipping is valid for anyone else for the last Convoy C8 pill with some aesthetic imperfections. :slight_smile:

Hey Kelsey and Dale, I’ve shipped out your pill out just now!

It’s snowing heavy metal compounds outside (Yellow dust) thus the yellow sky:

That’s just outside my Yearbook class.

Just could not resist, last one of the c8 pills is sold Ryan!

Now I just have to wait for it and my c8 to arrive.

Great, got your PP and the form.

I’ll ship it out tomorrow or Wednesday. :slight_smile:

[quote=drdanke]

Note the MT-G2 has a Vf of ~6v, so a single 18650 won't light it up at all.

It has a Vf of 6V at 3A. Drops down much lower when powered lower, rises up to 7 or more when given the current. Now, it might be true that a single 4.2V Li-ion won’t run it at all, haven’t tried it, but I have seen it’s forward voltage way down there when in moon mode. One of the 4.35V cells might do something with it, albeit it would be very low.

I know it varies with current and temperature but didn't think it was ever below ~5.5-5.7V in practice. I have an MT-G2 in a Convoy M1 direct drive, I just tried a Sony 18650 @4.17V, no visible light.

Is that a permanent set-up? How do you normally power it if so?

Anyone ever put an extension on an M1, I assume the heat would be too much to bother?

There is something going on there that I don’t understand. I have seen it lower than your numbers, but when using a driver and 2 cells. Why would it still fire up with regulation circuitry at a level that direct drive will not power it?

Hey Nbabu, I’ve shipped out your pill today! :slight_smile:

Ill have the 2nd last HD2010 one please.

Shipped to Australia No rush I need to get the HD2010 anyway. Will be my first mod, no idea what too, but dont want to kick myself for not grabbing the copper now.