Sony a6000 APS camera opinions

Not sure about DSLRs, but definitely for mirrorless.

Want to get this out asap before reading the rest of the thread. :smiley:

Crutchfield has the A6000 for 499bux, but with 2 huge bennies.

First, no sales tax. Bam! 45bux more in your pocket, right there.

Second, I think they still have a referral program, ie, you use my customer number and get something like 20bux off, and I get the same in points for referring you. Win-win. :smiley:

Lemme know if you’re interested, I can PM you my customer-number (gimme a heads-up so I can find it or even call to get it) and you can ask about it. I only did that once like 10yrs ago, so I don’t even know if it still exists, but it’s worth a try. 20bux off is 20bux off…

Pretty fast shipping, best customer service I’ve experienced, pretty much ever. Their “open-box” stuff is often indistinguishable from brand new, and I’ve even gotten some “scratch’n’dent” stuff which might be missing a cable (so they include an aftermarket one anyway, so you’re never missing any parts, ever). Only place I’m comfortable with by doing that.

I’ve been getting my car-audio stuff from them since the late ’80s, I think, and now pretty much all my camera stuff.

If/When they ever get that 500mm Nikon/Nikkor traffic-cone lens I’ve been itching for, I’m getting it from them.

Aaaauuugh! You’re killing me here…

I got nothing against Canon (gf has a Canon) or any other brand, but I loooooove Nikons, too. Got a D3000 and D7000, love both. I ONLY get Nikon glass. I’ll go cheap on a new body if I ever need one, but I only get the best in glass.

The featherweight 55-200mm plastic-body lens I started with, and with the lowly oft-made-fun-of D3000, I got a shot of a heron framed by a ‘V’-shaped tree. The bird was just there in the middle of the fork, way in the background, insignificant in the total pic, but when I zoomed in at the 1:1 pixel level (100% crop), not only could I make out the heron’s eyes, but his pupils. I was floored.

The come-with 18-55mm lens is also fantastic, incredible clarity, almost macro-quality for zooming in on the microscopic world.

Yeah, I did notice the occasional “focus paralysis” when way out-of focus at the extremes, but a quick far-to-near swoop (or v/v) gets it back to its wonderfully fast autofocus with minimal trauma.

My old f/1.2 primary doesn’t AF with my D3k (no screw-drive), but still works with the screw-drive-compatible D7k. And that’s the Nikon magic, that you can use ancient lenses with new bodies, and new lenses with ancient bodies.

The D7k lets you set stoopit-high ISOs in case you want real low-light pix, but I try to never go beyond ISO400 for most shots, maybe ISO1000 for my own low-light shots.

But after one of my favorite photogs at WU got some of his best shots with a Sony Alpha, I got some respect for Sonies. May not have the assortment of lenses as Nikon/Canon, but for scenery shots, it’s a beautiful camera and takes some great shots.

When MicroStore sent out those postcards with a 20bux-off dealy (instead of the SD-cards-from-Hell), I figured I could use a backup battery for my D7k. I checked the off-brands, then the legit Nikon. With the coupon, I ended up getting the legit Nikon battery for cheaper than any of the off-brand ones.

Unless you need one right off, it might pay to wait for one of those dealies.

Last time they had one of those, I got 2 huge rolls of solder for about the cost of 1. :smiley:

You missed the opportunity to get an authentic Hong Dong charger?!?

i am using sony E 55-210 lens, well, for the price i can’t have any complaint, but when i travel i have to change that len very often, since 55 on aps-c is too narrow sometime you can go higher, like 18-105, it’s more pratical

what you mean hot?, i cant tell any differences between wasabi and stock batteries

LOL! Language barrier… spicy = hot. :slight_smile:

I was more referring to front/back focus issues that some Nikon bodies suffer from when using OVF. The more megapixels you have, the more noticeable it is when you zoom in to 100%.

My D5200 had a front focusing issue, yet, when I sent it to Nikon, they would not do anything about it, saying it’s still “within spec”. :frowning:
And the D5200 does not have AF fine-tuning, so the end user can’t easily fix this.

Yet, I still went ahead and bought a D7200 (refurb)… this one has AF fine-tuning, so it’s easy to correct such issues.

As for lenses, I don’t mind going aftermarket, although I have mostly Nikon glass. I have a Sigma 17-70 C, which is a pretty good all-around lens. Currently eyeing their 105mm macro lens, but I’m not sure I really need it…

The Sigma 105mm macro is a great 105mm prime for general use as well as a macro.

Will have to agree that Sony is top of the game for mirror-less within the price range of the average man :slight_smile:

However I would only replace my D7000 with a later model Nikon dslr, I like using eye-pieces not holding it in front of me :wink:

Cheers David

i see, :LOL:

Aha. Yeah, I think it’s only my 50mm f/1.2 primary that I ever had to tweak the focus in my D7k. Everything else is spot-on.

All aftermarket lenses will be good enough for shots that don’t stress out the camera/lens too much. Parties, landscapes, anything you’d resize to post online, etc., will all look perfectly fine.

But when you got a big-ass hawk waaaaaaay high in the air, nail the shot with a 300mm zoom, and have to crop the living crap out of the shot to keep the hawk from looking like some bird-shaped smudge, and still have it look pretty awesome, you’ll be thankful for Nikon glass. You’ll never ever get as clean a shot with 3rd-party brands.

I borrowed some 3rd party lenses… disappointing.

Dunno why Nikon dropped the spectacular 18-55 as their kit lens. If I’m anticipating a shot less than 28mm (28-300mm beauty), I’ll still grab the 18-55 as it weighs almost nothing and gets perfect shots.

Just a heads up for anyone else who might be interested - a few deals on the a6000 have popped up recently:

https://slickdeals.net/f/10864015-sony-a6000-16-50mm-lens-32gb-memory-canon-ts9020-printer-498-55-210mm-lens-698-free-s-h

Used/Like New (Amazon Warehouse Deals) for $368: https://slickdeals.net/f/10881703-sony-alpha-a6000-mirrorless-digital-camera-w-16-50mm-lens-like-new-condition-368-52-fs

I need a new camera badly. I may have a hard time to decide on mirrorless or DSLR.

Based on what you will be shooting and what your budget is, some of these guides may be helpful:

Got my Nitecore charger for the a6000 today. It charges at 1 amp. Should be much faster than the internal USB charger which is painfully slow. It’s got a really nice display which alternates between charge current and the amount of mAh the battery has taken in.

Nice charger.
Yeah, the A6000 is the cheapest it’s ever been on amazon, $500 USD, seems like it was a good time to buy :slight_smile:

Nice!

Now I’m tempted to buy their Nikon-compatible one… Damn you! :slight_smile:

So far I’m really happy. The features are a bit complex, but I’ll learn them in time. I’m keeping my D40 since it’s still a good camera and easy to use. BTW, I also have a Nikon Coolpix S7000 that I use occasionally. It doesn’t focus well in low light, but takes excellent outdoor shots.