SPAM Button Click Abuses

Wow man, really sorry to hear about this. The spam button should only be used for spam. That is when someone comes on the forum and tries to sell their junk without following the rules of the forum. I have used the button about 5 times at most and each time it was obviously someone who had simply signed up to post their junk and it wasn’t even flashlight related junk. If it had at least been flashlight related junk I would have simply wrote a reply telling them to go read the rules and asking them to fix there own post.

Contact the admin is for when someone breaks the rules in other ways, like cussing someone out, or trolling, stalking, etc etc etc.

Strange or odd posts should simply be ignored. Before contacting admin or hitting spam people need to go read the rules. If no rules are broken then they need to simply go read something else.

I’m a moderator on a couple other sites right now and I have moderated other sites in the past. I don’t want to be on a site that is over-moderated and it’s really why this site is so great. It’s not over-moderated and that’s why I love this place!! We don’t need people waking up one day and thinking they need to do the moderating themselves without even knowing the rules. Even as a moderator I rarely remove a post and only when it’s clearly a violation of the rules.

The fact of the matter is that we all contribute to this fantastic forum but we don’t own it. We are guests and should behave like guests would. Obviously we are welcomed guests and allowed certain privileges and given the power to report or mark stuff as spam. Self moderation. But as guests we all need to know the rules and follow them without thinking we own the place. Too often people who have been on sites for years get to thinking that it’s theirs, when in fact they are a guest just like the person who shows up today or tomorrow.

Well rant over and I hope people will take it easy on the spam button from now on and only use it when it’s clearly Spam.

Exactly…+ 1

You guys don’t see some pattern nowadays?

the is a contributing member (probably and understatement there) but he had a lot of his threads, not only sales but mod thread as well, locked for spam.

It’s obvious that some people are simply abusing the button.

Make the button smaller .. i just noticed that it's pretty massive and it's always been in a stupid location . i think there are some good suggestions in this thread from people ....but I think the topic itself just lends toward more abuse . it's not something i'd start a thread on and ask publicly for that reason ..

comfychair wrote:

I honestly don't know what happened, I don't know who clicked the 'spam' button or why, I don't even know how many reports it takes to trigger a removal. But I do know that the persecution complex isn't working. Nobody here doesn't like you or wants you to not post anything any more. But being bitter and suspicious and paranoid is a sure-fire way to drive folks away, guaranteed.

Please quit tying to portray me as weird, bitter, suspicious, paranoid, and having a persecution complex. If you read the OP, this thread was for members to document when they are inappropriately reported for spamming. I'm merely trying to provide some counter measure to a system heavily weighed in favor of the accuser.

I think you are taking the ‘Spam Button’ too literally. Even in SB’s clarifying post, he says that the reasons for using the spam button are not strictly limited to spam as he references sexual and lewd comments. Many forums have a ‘spam’ button that they use as a ‘report’ button merely to let admin know if a comment seems to breaking the rules.

I don’t think ImA4Wheelr has anything to prove. His post history speaks for itself as a stand-up member of BLF. I believe admin, sellers, and respected members have not changed their opinion of him as a result of these events.

wait guys so myled user got spammed and blocked too :quest:
I was checking this forum once a week and they were posting good deals
I wonder who spammed myled :quest: :exmark:, i see they are not posting deals for some time
and on the subject it is obivious that this spam thing can be easily manipulated by some >) group/guys

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:KlAfNk95obEJ:budgetlightforum.com/node/32658%3Fpage%3D5+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au&client=firefox-a

Yes, you were wronged. Being weird/making posts in a weird way are no justification for marking the posts as spam. You're being a drama queen about it though. SB knows what happened, and who did it (I assume?), and doing what they did was against the rules, no one is arguing that it was right and proper that odd posts should be flagged and removed because... I really don't know what you're thinking at this point.

With all the other relevant threads in question either locked or cleansed you honestly can't be surprised that a discussion of The Great Spam Incident Of '14 is taking place in this thread, can you?

-----

I don't know about the main official myled account, but they were either using shills or sockpuppet accounts to post spam absolutely everywhere. I flagged a bunch of posts from the sockpuppets, but none that I know of from their official account. If the commercial sellers post in the commercial sellers subforum and someone marks their posts as spam, that's against the rules. But if they post elsewhere (the 'deal alerts' sub is very often misused by some commercial sellers, and they do not belong there), then you and I and everybody else has an obligation to either flag as spam or ask them to move the thread to the correct place. If a commercial seller posts a thread in the wrong place and it gets removed, and you later get all pissy because it was a thread you liked, well you should have done your part to get it moved to the right place.

I posted this in January and it was marked as SPAM...

even though it was not spam:

comfychair,

Why are you so fixated on me and proving that I have some type of flaw. What did I do to you? To be honest, you are getting me a bit nervous.

I freely admit I have flaws and am not perfect, but this thread is about not laying down and not being a victim. It's about being proactive and stopping victimization. I did not intend this thread to be about me. Please reread the OP. This thread is supposed to be a place to collect information on SPAM button click abuse and share constructive ideas to make the system better.

You keep trying to make this about me. I don't know what to say but I will try to take all the advice I have been given in this thread and be a better community member.

ImA4Wheelr no worries human dna is flawed lol,
but I think you are a friendly good guy im not a psychologist btw :bigsmile:

What?

I am fully cognisant of the uses of the SPAM button, and the criteria for its correct usage. Obviously several members DO NOT and ABUSE the system for their own ends. Maybe re read my post.

I only use the spam button for vance miller kitchens.

But theyre the best ones

maybe vance can send me one for review

LOL. Too funny. Thank you for lightening (no pun intended) the mood in here.

EDIT: I'm an idiot. Fixed misspelling above.

Reserved. I'll add content later after this post has been buried. :D

On August 10, 2014, this very thread was inappropriately marked as SPAM.

leaftye wrote:

Reserved. I'll add content later after this post has been buried. :D

Since you inappropriately reported me as a SPAMMER and got me blocked from BLF, it appears that your above post is designed to "Rub salt in the wound" and incite an argumentative environment in this thread. I believe that such behavior is referred to as Trolling.

Folks, please don't take the bait of posts like the above. Let's keep this thread above board and only post the following to it:

• Reporting a case were a BLF Member was inappropriately reported as a SPAMMER.
  • Providing and discussing constructive ideas to improve a system that is 100% weighed in the favor of the accuser.