Spark SP6 5x XML T5 NW Neutral White 6x 18650 LED Flashlight

Was poking around the HKequipment website and saw this light I fell in love with, until I saw the price. Side clickie, 5X XML in NW tint, plus a double size 6x18650 battery carrier all in parallel.

http://www.hkequipment.net/index.php?p=6&id=1384&s=322fe3b384904b28de9432c4fde4099f&lang=en
Their Ebay auction shows what the battery carrier looks like. Darn I wish this was much less expensive.

That is one weird ass design.

Interesting design. :P

How the hell are those xmls getting properly heatsinked?

I've never seen XML's in a configuration like that before. I wish they'd have posted some beam shots. I would have liked to see the advantage of that design. Way to expensive for me.

The advantage of that design is that its a means of capturing most of the light emitted from each emitter for use for throw. Most of the light, if not all of it hits a reflecting surface and is directed forwards (or sideways depending on perspective). In a normal reflector, most of the light from the emitter goes out the front and is not involved with the reflector, i.e. not contributing to throw.

Whats this advantage in this situation? you can cram many emitters and get lots of throw for a given diameter. If you were to get an equivalent diameter torch, and have lots of small conventional reflectors, you probably cannot achieve the same level of throw that this one can. (remember, for a given diameter). Thats why many hand held multi XM-L emitter torches are all high powered flood type lights.

Why isn't this used commonly? because its not as good thermally, its expensive to develop and make such a reflector and emitter mounting system, and the beam just cannot be as nice and balanced as a radially symmetrical design that we are used to.

Im happy to see this being done, but I too want to see beamshots. (and throw readings) It looks a means to get serious output in a relatively usable size, thats not all flood, IN A NEUTRAL :)

The other forum seems to agree this is a leap forward in reflector and LED mounting design yielding flood and throw. Like most everyone, I'm interesting in seeing detailed beam shots and more importantly, how this new design handles heat management.

OOps... sorry I thought this was the solarstorm 5XML thread... carry on!!

All we have so far that I've found. 120m to the house, according to the sales thread from SBflashlights.

Although its a photo, it really doesn't tell us That much, but we can see that it is relatively foggy/hazy, the street lights are still pretty bright (atmospheric bounce) but the light seems to throw 100+m pretty easily as you would expect, but without totally washing out the nearby cabbage ;) At least we know this isn't going to be another serious flood machine.

The other photos show that the beam is relatively well behaved and after maturation does appear to be very nicely balanced, and should also be able to do away with the doughnut patterns of large emitters? time will tell. I am very tempted to get one, if anyone wants to buy my collection, including a M60R in practically excellent condition with custom 2x 18650 battery holder ;)

Not that dissimilar to the Flydragon 9 x XM-L.

Pity about the price. 3500 lumens should be pretty accurate.

The Spark really should have been configured for 26650 batteries. I don't know what the Flydragon 9 x XM-L uses, but if that one doesn't it sure should have been.

The upside to the Spark is if you don't have the money to purchase 6 x 18650's for it, which I doubt most wouldn't after purchasing it, I'm sure it'll run fine on only 3 due to the parallel configuration.

Why? 18650’s are way more energy-dense.

I really don't understand how they can charge 399 bucks for this and not use U2.

>neutral white

They have CW version, which is T6.

Now that you have mentioned it, NW is T5. They should have used T6 3C Neutral white. :D

I mean my S1 is so much cheaper and is U2.

Well, in the end, capacity is everything. Trustfire 26650 5000mAh's are actually about 4300mAh, Redilast 18650's are 3100mAh. If you're looking for longer run time, which would you rather have? At least with a couple of my lights, Fandyfire HD-2010 and my Shadow JM07 Pro, I have the choice whether to use an 18650 or 26650.

I’d rather have two 18650’s, providing 6200mAh at weight and volume of a single 26650. :Р

(or 3*18650's in parallel/series (preferably series, due to better regulation with higher voltage) with a bit fatter flashlight.. I like 'em fat, gives a lot of surface area for heatsinking).

Yep, lately I've been liking the larger diameter hand-holds offered with these other battery configurations too and for the same reasons you mention.

I never bothered to read this thread because Spark = $$$$ but that is one awesome light!

They must be putting a lot of efforts in designing its reflector