Spiders? Giant Spiders ?

Raining down from the sky- Really?
Arachnophobia… Version 2.0
https://www.axios.com/local/washington-dc/2022/03/09/giant-joro-spiders-east-coast-may?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_content=local-spiders

All the Best,
Jeff

This is one ugly spindly looking spider.

But how brilliant is that? The thing is light enough that it can fashion its own “parasail” that wind can catch and lift these things aloft, over a thousand feet high, and just drift. I wonder how the spider decides “OK, this place looks good—time to freefall!” :smiley:

I bet they look for a niiiice cozy nest of hair to land in and cushion their fall. :smiling_imp:

wow…
just in time for pollen season on the East Coast.
wonder if these spiders can handle the “yellow peril”?

They don’t look much different than the banana spiders we have in South Florida except for the yellow webs.

They’re large for the eastern US, but the good news is that their fangs are too short to penetrate human skin, and they are not aggressive toward humans. They’re allegedly quite timid.

KIWF.

Nice colors.

I haven’t moved on from the last horror show: Asian Giant Hornets. Too bad we can’t get the Asian Giant Hornets and the Asian Giant Spiders to have a match to the death. They’re on opposite coasts, likely to meet in the middle (Kansas) in a few years if at at all.

Believe it or not, in Southeast Asia, this spider is a local delicacy and can fetch a high price.

Locals catch them, pluck the head and legs WITH BARE HANDS, and eat the belly deep fried, or RAW.

Maybe not safe for work, or your sanity in general.

I’d watch “Aliens vs. Predators vs. Asian Giant Hornets vs. Giant Spiders”

That’s seriously f’ed up.

When I think of what pops out when I have to step on some big-ass beetle before it murders me in my sleep, yeah, there ain’t nfw I’d ever be eating that.

Awww, man, just watched the video.

Am I the only one who heard a stadium’s worth of “Hellllllllllp meeeeeeeeeeeeee!”s at the basket scene?

I guess they eat insects. And stinkbugs are mentioned specifically. Interesting. I believe stink bugs are also an invasive species in some areas of the US. So one invasive species is about to get eaten by another!

i wonder if they glow in UV light

In many locations around the globe it’s perfectly normal to eat insects and arachnids. It’s just a matter of what you’re used to eating and what is available.

The ranching and high-tech farming and other methods used to produce the foods in the typical Western Hemisphere diet are very expensive. Food that falls out of the sky and can be eaten with little prepping is more affordable by most of the world’s population and more available.

I had a work colleague from Cameroon who told me that, when he arrived in the USA, the idea of eating pizza was disgusting to him. Now that he’s adjusted to eating it, he loves it.

Never ate a spider, but have eaten small shrimps alive when i was kid, we used to dive and catch them with a very fine net, than surface and eat what we caught, i lived by black sea. city of Odessa, we did it not cuz we had shortage of food, we had plenty, it was just fun thing to do when i was 10-13. we also caught cooked and ate snakes, for the same reason. even made belts out of their skin. i wish my kids could have a childhood like i had, too bad it’ll never happen today. times changes so much it seems like it was on a different planet.

That was a cultural experience. Thanks.

That is just the first wave of ground troops. Bombers on the way.

Considering how the price of food is skyrocketing……
this may be a good option. :wink: