Spot welder for batteries??

Not sure if this is far off topic?? Does anyone use a spot welder? I am wanting to step into rebuilding some tool battery packs and some mention soldering but the best way is spot welding. I seen a tube video, but the guy had a cheap one, he did not list what kind, but he had to zap it 6 times or more to get it to stick.

Anyone use one? or any other advice. I was told to buy good batteries, not laptop recycled. They do not hold up to heavy current drains.

1 Thank

Subscribing. I’ve done a…bit…of research.
Seems they kind of come in 2 flavors:

1. Cheap with highly variable results.
  2. Expensive with predictable results.

I’m in that in between category. Require it seldom enough to want cheap, and not enough to go for expensive. So far I solder. I’ve gotten decent at it, I think. Mostly the packs seem to hold up, but I think I killed one high output Molicel/NPE INR-21700-P42A 45A 4200mAh. At least one cell in the pack died, leaving the others 'apparently OK.

Cheap, with reasonable reliability for occasional use would be good.

I am good with soldering… So there is that…
I am in the middle with you…

Not sure on #2 Expensive with predictable results. I probably will not use it a lot, and I probably don’t need more toys… Everyone has different ideas what expensive is. I do have a nice TIG welder that might be able to be modified. But… It might be better to have a stand alone unit.

Back in the Nicad days, I used to solder wires, but sometimes that add a little extra length and then it is tight to fit back in the case.

BTW get on the bay and there are a bunch of them. I don’t think I want a battery operated one, unless it is quite high quality. (Milwaukee???)

I have two different ones. Sunkko 738AL uses 220v electricity – works really well , but a pain to hook up $350
I have another one I bought at battery hookup – It uses 2 Super Capacitors with a 12v power supply – works really good and is convenient to use $90 ( haven’t seen them for sale in a while

One think you need to know – what type of strips you’ll be welding
Nickel over steel .15 most any welder will work ( corrosive limited current capability)
Solid Nickel .15 harder to weld ( works well up to 3-5 amps per cell )
Solid Nickel .2 hardest to weld ( works great up to 8-10 amps per cell)
both of my machines weld .2 but you have to go slower and let cables cool off

I use plenty Repurposed Brand Name cells ( Samsung,Sony “The Best”, Panasonic )

I’ve learned plenty over the last several years ( test cells Capacity, Resistance, ETC ) It has helped me build better packs that last and stay in balance. Also use good brand name BMS boards

This pack is a 5S4P made with Model3 Tesla cells – It’s for a neighbors Power Wheel Jeep

2 Thanks