Spring Bypass / Braiding - Best Practices

Hi All

Should I have missed detailed posts around this, please let me know. I could not find many, maybe my search was not adequate?

The main reason for my post is around how well copper braid (not silicone wire) can withstand ‘Mechanical Stress’? I believe the answer is ‘Not as well as silicone wire’? For me the plus around copper braid vs silicone wire is that copper braid is easier to work with and one can bypass in more ‘compact’ areas e.g. Qlite driver springs.

I came to read about the silver plated braided copper wire which some are using. I believe the mechanical strength of this is the same as normal copper braid? The further advantage of the silver plated braid is more conductivity and I believe less corrosive properties. So, if one like to ‘braid’ should one make use of the silver plated option?

The machanical strength probably also differs between different makes of copper braid. E.g. I’ve used Goot Wick for some time but am currently using Chem-Wik. No real specific reason for moving to Chem-Wik, but I find it easier to work with than Goot Wick. It seems to have more flux embedded in it, thus, one has to make sure to clean properly after soldering. I have not done any mechanical strength tests between Goot Wick and Chem-Wik, I might look into this.

So, my post is kind of more around spring bypass by using silicone wire. Its seems bypass with silicone wire is much more robust and can handle much more mechanical stress, than copper braid? Also, which of copper or wire bypass has the least resistance?

Would appreciate your feedback, Thanks.

I did the spring bypass on a solarforce L2T with copper wick. worked fine for about 2 months, daily usage. Now a few strands have limited contact to the switch retaining ring and the lights magically switches on :bigsmile:

Have to replace it at the next modding event.

I use wire from old computer cables and haven’t had any issues so far.

Me too Sigshooter. I use wire from a dead power supply to wire up a driver. It has nice thick wire and theres plenty of it.

What benefit is doing this spring bypass and is it done on the switch or the driver or both?

Lol “modding event”. I just plug in the soldering iron when the wife isnt home and get started. Now if i can buy a couple of parts i can probably make it into an event.

I wish I could just mod like that! because of work, friends, other hobbies I actually have to plan modding sessions. Have a numbers sheet with parts I have, what I need, what is outstanding and every light gets a project sheet to see when I can do stuff. Sounds like a lot of work but that is the only way I can pull it off. Oh, need good weather too since I won’t solder inside the home.

yeah, need to re-do all my solarforce springs with speaker wire or 18 AWG silicon wires I have left.

Apparently you and hemimike had the same thoughts at ~the same time.

I won’t clutter the place by re-posting, but you may find this entertaining:
I Love Solder Wick

(PS: I love your Avatar. SWMBO drives a ’72.)

Most people do it on both to get the maximum current to the led :slight_smile: