SRK / clone soda-can light recommendations?

I’m potentially looking for two versions:

1. A complete light. I’m following the Q8 thread (am on the “list”) but I might be interested in getting a working light while waiting for the Q8 to come to life.

2. A host. I’m more interested in a host than in a complete light. I want it to play around with doing something like this.

For both situations, price is probably the main concern. For the complete light, I will probably replace it with the Q8 if/when it is available. For the host, I would scrap nearly all of the guts anyways.

Actually, I take that back - the #1 concern is that it is not a total POS. Price is the #2 criteria.

Recommendations?

Holy crap, that lantern project is genius!

I’ve got a couple less than useful soda-can lights that would be excellent for this.

BTW - to answer your question, any of the SRK clones from BG, GB, or FT would be just fine since you wouldn’t need ultimate output.

I bought this SRK on AliExpress, It’s the no shelf version and with LB emitters but I think the host quality is quite nice for a $19 flashlight.

honored about your Q8 remarks!

you could post a WTB thread, maybe a US BLFer has a decent SRK like licht for you.