SST-90

very interesting thread got goin on here

Maybe we can get somebody to knit asbestos gloves to help us hold the light a little longer. :wink:

While there are always neat little (big) mod projects this thread has started discussing, it still is rather evident why these emitters aren’t more used. Practically speaking, they require and cost too much. And let’s keep in mind that just because, on paper, a given emitter puts out x amount of light does not mean it does. I learned that with the SST-50s. So I think, if we go down this path long enough with newer projects, we’ll have two things to show for it; some nice and fancy toys from our more capable members, but also, a reminder of why this emitter isn’t more used. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes I feel that the price is pretty steep, which is why I'll let DBCStm get his first and do his usually comprehensive tests before I decide whether or not to look for a good (cheaper) source for these.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. My hero growing up was Chuck Yeager. Always pushing the outside of the envelope and learning. He didn’t land all of the airplanes he flew but he learned even when things went Tango Uniform. Granted this is just lights and granted you might be right, Joe- but I gotta push a little.

I promise to post pictures of any fire etc.

a tripple SST-90 or MT-G2 SRK would be interesting to see. (again the problem is with the MT-G2’s is voltage requirement, and a SRK is 4 cells in paralell. (maybe machine two SRK battery tubes together, so that it uses 8 cells , ( 2 in series, of 4 paralell sets) to give the higher voltage with the amps.

That would spoil the soda-can form factor, from a double SRK you expect nothing less than a bucket-load of light.

Some random thoughts. A SRK triple SST-90 with 4x parallel18650, 3x8A=24A, that is 6A per cell, from what I read above, at 8A the SST-90 runs at 3.8V, say 0.2V voltage loss in the flashlight, there's not many cells that can keep 4.0V at 6A discharge, there might be a challenge getting the 3x8A through the emitters. But the XM-L2 at the same 3.8V only gets up to 'only' 5.5A (~3x1500lmOTF, I'm not into SRK's, did anyone get that?).

That's why I wanted to get one tested. It's great for us that Dale is trying it out too.

It costs a lot to get the same amount of lumens from other emitters too, although we'll see about verifying this soon.

I got these shots done tonight :party:

The sst-90 (dedomed) was bought from DX one year ago and is supposedly 8000k, it’s in an FM 26650 host with FM turbo C head, direct drive single sony lion pulling 14amps at the start.
( BTW here’s some cheap sony cells )

The mt-g2 was bought recently from KD and is 5000k, it’s in a trustfire host modded to fit a DX sst-90 reflector with direct drive 2x ultrafire 26650 pulling 6amps at the start.

I cannot measure light output nor the vf so beamshots are my only reference. Speaking of which I meant to take the TK61vn with me but forgot :zipper_mouth_face:

First up are some ceiling shots. The sst-90 has some rings since the reflector was built for incan. The mt-g2 has some blue around the edge from dedoming.

I tried to zoom in on the far shots but the camera wasn’t co-operating plus the sst-90 light was getting hot and the mozzies were eating me so I called it a night :stuck_out_tongue:

I just thought, a side by side shot of the lights will highlight the size difference.

Don’t like that tint on the SST, but like the size difference a lot!

Prolly shouldn’t have, but I did, so I’ll run wid it and see where she takes me…

Thanks for the great beam shots Pinkpanda. Love how you superimposed the host picture and label. Very nice.

Really glad you're going to try to work some of your magic on an SST-90 Dale. Hope it goes well. I recently got one in a T90 (Don't know the bin) and I'm wondering what I want to do with it yet. Obviously copper and high amps, but that is all I've decided on so far.

As the others have mentioned, very nice comparison shots. Thanks.

KD shows a 3000K code for a 4step MT-G2 9V (C0) then lower they simply steal the text from Cutter.com.au as they are selling a 5000K 2step LED. Typical KD nonsense.

http://www.cutter.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=cut1438&cat=167

Pinkpanda, cool shots, the similarities in the beams is really interesting in light of how differently they are driven. The SST90 appears to preserve the greenery or the scene, while the MTG2 appears to wash out the view, or is that a trick of the camera?

The green color cast of the de-domed SST-90 adds to the greens of foliage. Notice the grey concrete and white/off white buildings…they’re wrong. The MT-G2 is closer to accurate color schemes.

Unfortunately, there is a bit of trickery by the camera. I don’t have a good camera for this type of photography and even if I did I would have to learn how to use it :weary:

The purpose was more about comparing output than colour. The ceiling shots are pretty close to what my eyes see, just slightly less green on the sst and slightly more yellow on the mtg2. The outdoor shots are not quite what I see, particularly the mtg2. I’m not sure but I have a feeling the sst is slowly going green as I didn’t notice it as much before, of course, I may be just thinking that because I’m comparing to the mtg2 now???

The other thing I pointed out which I think has some relevance here is the size and form factor. The sst lends it self to smaller setups due to the smaller die, meaning smaller reflector for similar beam to mtg2 (I realize the 2 beams shown are different but you get my drift), and single cell operation, meaning shorter/smaller hosts for similar lumens making it somewhat of a ‘wow light’.

The mtg2 will be more efficient and has more watthours in 2 batteries and also more heatsinking through shear size of the host BUT I get the feeling there’s a few BLF members here who dig ‘wow lights’ J)

I chose to drive the crap out of an sst-90 because I thought the lumens per die size would be chasing the xml and xpg on their given ratio’s. Plus it has excellent thermal path and puts out big lumens overall. Efficiency was less of an issue for me. Wow lights cannot have efficiency in the equation IMO. Similarly with colour, whilst I like 4500k my sst-90 build is not intended for a whole lot of practical use.

Thanks for the follow up info Pinkpanda. Your logic makes sense to me. Seems like the SST could be used in a practical light too, given it's lower power requirements. Carring big light with extra cells is not always an option

Really like your lights. Do you have mod threads on them?

No build threads as such.

I recently built a n-bin sst90 on copper. it runs direct drive from for 1/2 D nimh cells. I tried to used an XML2 at first but the freshly charged cells we just to much for it. The higher voltage/amps of the sst90 was a perfect choice. The n-bin puts out a great color and although I never measured anything it puts out a very similar amount of light to a MRK @ 1.25A. Build thread here.

The sst-90 may be getting a little old and out dated but it’s sort of in between the xml2 set to kill and the MGT2 that needs 2 cells.