Strobe on angry dog

How about a strobe flashlight that has a built in alarm that reminds me to shut my door before I go to sleep? https://blog.dogsbite.org/2011/08/after-22-million-award-dog-bite-victim.html

On July 4th we had some fireworks. I had a couple cans of liquid courage and was standing pretty close to the (spark/pop shower type but not small) fireworks. My rotty looking dog just sat right next to me looking at them (the sparks landing at our feet). Other 2 dogs hid nearby.

I also had Wurkkos DL70 (13k? lumen) there and had to make sure I didn’t shine it at any of the dogs because they just stare at it! (no strobe mode on any lights I had).

But, I have a stun gun (not a taser) - the type w/ 2 contacts up front - and when you turn that thing on and it starts crackling all the dogs RUN unless I demand they stay. It seems like they know it is electricity (they don’t).

Now, an angry dog? I’d still take the taser over strobe (and after 12ga) every time.

Follow through with a use of force continuum. Six-step model: Your presence, Verbal commands, Soft controls, Hard controls, Intermediate Weapons, and Lethal force. Animal attacks put you in the last three; Hard controls, Intermediate Weapons, and Lethal force. Teeth are usually in the Lethal force part, shinny light is not. If you do not meet force at a greater degree than is used on you, you do not win. Size of the threat does give you a bit more flexibility. Hard to explain a shotgun vs Maltese. Equally hard to explain shiny light vs Large aggressive dog. For those of you that think you must be hit/bit first to respond to force, NO. Reasonable fear of injury is the standard used in law. Your age, size, health, sex and training do play factors in reasonable fear.

Excellent points. :+1: :beer:

I’ve done this on a few loose domesticated dogs while riding my bike. Seems to work the same in daylight or at night. The dog doesn’t stop but changes their course to run parallel while avoiding the hotspot of the light. It’s enough to keep them 10-15 feet away instead of how they will usually come with 2-3 feet to run close and chase.

Zebralight H600w MkIV so about 1300 lumens, no strobe. Works slightly better than yelling “GO HOME”

Well said texas shooter:white_check_mark:

Last deer season, walking in to my stand at 4 am, there were 3 coyotes following us. They stayed right at the edge of the High mode on my Nitecore HC50, I could see their eyes glow, but not make them out well enough for a good shot (though I had no interest in shooting them anyway).

sure, you could you a strobe on an angry dog, if you want to make it more angry

i wonder if cayotes knew you are hunting, cuz deer we shot often run off and die miles away, maybe they were not following you to attack, but to steal your deer. they can get to it faster than we can. and it is an easier pray wounded. or maybe i give them too much credit.

Previous poster said it best. What do you do in the day time with the angry dog? Seriously, most likely it will be daylight when you encounter the angry dog.

It’s sad what has happened to this breed. It’s DNA does lend itself to being a highly aggressive dog, but with proper training a pit bull can be a docile, loving animal. It’s just the POTENTIAL that’s the problem. And that’s why they’re banned. It’s unfortunate. Actually, I wonder if it would make sense to get a dog certification of some kind. You get a special red emblem that you attach to the collar, showing your dog was verified to be docile and not an attack dog.

The actor Patrick Stewart loves this breed and at first he had trouble getting a license to own one. He lives in Brooklyn NY.

As for strobes, I agree that with dogs you’ll mostly be encountering them during the day and they’ll have zero effect. I have scared off rather large, aggressive looking raccoons with a strobe at night. But I doubt it would do anything to a bear!

They were just seeing where we’d be for later reference. When someone drags a deer out you see the coyote tracks going the opposite direction - they go find the guts.

Seriously? “Often”?

That ain’t good at all…. :person_facepalming: :frowning: :frowning:

What in the world is the problem

What are you shooting them with???

Y’all need to regroup if this happens on a regular basis…… :white_check_mark:

Not once for me.

TC Encore 12ga turkey, IC choke, Brenneke K.O.

I seem to be good at dragging threads into the weeds. :innocent:

dthrckt… +1. :+1:

It can happen I guess, but if it happens much at all… something is wrong. Very wrong. :white_check_mark:

it happens, not every shot is a drop shot, people miss the heart, especially on longer distance, it is not what you shooting, pretty much any rifle caliber, except .22 can drop a deer with one shot in a right place.

Depends on the dog type. Pit Bulls, Rottweiler, German Shepard, Rhodesian Ridgeback, will probably not pay attention to a flashlight, except to make things worse. Most dogs will not hurt you, but some can kill you.
When we lived in Oregon yrs ago, we played disc golf at a very nice big 18 hole State Park. People would bring all types of dogs and often not keep them on a lease. One day a petite oriental lady had a Bully on a chain lease and was being dragged around, it was scary. After that day, I started bringing my throwing axe with a strap on my back, just in case. :wink:

Once in a while dog like that are born, i too have dogs all my life, but i had a Brittany that was just like your brothers’ pit. i had a GS, a pit, several muts, i loved them all, but the Brittany was nothing like my other dogs, my pit, otoh, i had to watch all the time, she was great with people, but some dogs she would attack, others she would play nice with, and i never knew what she’ll do with a next dog she met. was not an easy dog to handle.

I know this will not be a popular opinion but pit bulls should be illegal. How may dog attacks are pit bull related? How many fatal? How many people are disfigured from pitbull attacks compared to other dogs? The numbers don’t lie. If you read the news you know what I mean.

Of course “it can happen”, but if as you said it is happening “often” & “they are running for miles before they die”; something is not right & needs to be changed/done differently.

Go to the range & practice, Do Not take long shots if we can’t make a decent hit, whatever it takes to make a swift clean kill.

We owe it to the animal hunted to make a clean kill.

Of course this may not happen every time. BUT IF it does not happen, it should be the RARE EXCEPTION…. not the rule.

And we are not talking about “drop shots” either. We are talking about what you wrote… deer shot that often run for miles before they die.

There is absolutely no excuse for that happening on a regular basis.

And a well placed .22 will drop a deer just about every time.

I’m not trying to ragg on you… but a game anjmal deserves better than what you mentioned. I hope you would agree with that. :white_check_mark: