Sub-lumen outputs. How useful do you find them?

It is a long time since I've lived anywhere other than a city so I'm used to a lot of light pollution. Maybe it is just me, but for most of the time i can't see a use for sub-lumen lights. I'm really not sure that fraction of a lumen lights really are better than nothing though they will run for a very, very long time.

I do find my Zebralight H50 at around 3 lumens on low to be useful, though 3 lumens is not enough for me to read by, I need 10-15 these days as I get longer sighted. I might find a lumen useful occasionally, but can't see the use for fractions of a lumen.

Is it just that my eyes never get dark-adapted enough?

What does everyone else think?

I too think really low outputs are not useable under normal circumstances. Might have been different some time back, but at 59 years old, 5-10 lumens probably represents the lowest level I'll actually use until I'm called upon to skipper a nuclear sub.

Great for indoors, to find your way into bed without wakening wife or baby :)

Or reading in bed without disturbing them.

As stated above, can't even begin to read with less than 5-10m lumens and I've used led and, before that, chemical phosphor nightlights for 20 years or so, so I don't need a flashlight to get around at night and neither does anyone else in our house.

I use my Zebralight on lowest every morning. It seems suprisingly bright. Heck, I ceiling bounce the 3 lumen mode.

I can use the Zebralight H51f on 7 lumens to read. Anything lower and it would just be to read a label or something.

The 2.5 lumen level is useful in my backyard (in the city) setting up a telescope. The .2 lumen mode is useful mainly if just sitting and not wanting it to be totally dark (or as close as it gets in the city).

I could do without the .2 lumen level unless I was camping in the tent for instance and then it’s nice. I’m glad I have it but I have 2.5 lumen as the first low mode setting on the Zebralight.

I don’t get the usefulness of the .04 setting on the Thrunite TI however.

If you don't mind saying, how old are you?

This may be an age thing. I'm over 50 and am getting long-sighted now. I need to hold books a lot farther away than I once did. And maybe it is this that means i need more light.

The 3 lumen low on my Zebralight (H50) is fine for getting about in total darkness - the 40 metre beamshots stuff I did, the Zebra was how I identified all the lights and took a few notes. In very large writing. But to read from a book needs 10+ lumens and about 30+ for reading from a Kindle. If I had a handy time machine, I'd try it aged 20, 30 and 40. But I don't.

I find the low of 0.5 Lm on my H31 is a way brighter than it needs to be for reading and a bit unnecessarily bright for navigating indoors, wish it had a sub 0.1 Lm mode... Age increases the eyes need for light, but I'm not that old, heck I can still easily read small print in the light of a tritium key chain fob.

If I stare straight at it, up close, I can SEE a tritium key chain fob.

Even with dark adapted eyes?

The .3 lumen output of my Quark X is REALLY nice. In fact, it will light up a room enough to see to use the bathroom with dark adjusted eyes.

However, my ThruNite's .1 lumen "firefly" mode is getting to the point of being unusable. I don't have the light right now as it was sent off for a malfunctioning driver so maybe it will be better when I get it back.

quote] Even with dark adapted eyes?

[/quote]

Was joking a little there, but just a little.

When I was in my 20s, used to drive at night with headlights off for long distances. (Live where you used to be able to do that without passing another car for a fairly long while sometimes) Now, I really don't like driving at night WITH headlights, if I can avoid it.

If you don't know yet, don't ask what happens to your hearing as you age, if you used to work in sawmills and logging. Is there a budget hearing aid forum???

Was joking a little there, but just a little.

When I was in my 20s, used to drive at night with headlights off for long distances. (Live where you used to be able to do that without passing another car for a fairly long while sometimes) Now, I really don't like driving at night WITH headlights, if I can avoid it.

If you don't know yet, don't ask what happens to your hearing as you age, if you used to work in sawmills and logging. Is there a budget hearing aid forum???

[/quote]

I work in a garage and the use of impact wrenches, air hammers and just regular hammers it starting affect my hearing. My ears will literally hurt after hammering on something for too long and it even makes me feel nauseous. I bought some ear plugs but, being a typical hard head, I rarely use them.

Sub Lumen - Low lumen ...

I built a minimag to be low lumen long run time ... Let me take a picture ...

10 mm LED in a minimag ....http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S008655 similar to this , I cant find the 10mm any more ...

I would have to buy a sub-lumen light, to find out if it is of any use to me. The lowest low I have here is the 1.5 lumens of my ITP A3 and I think the UF H2 can also gets quiet low, although it is hard to catch the right moment because the ramping is way too fast. Sometimes in complete darkness or for nightstand use, the lows could be lower. The Thrunite TI ver. 1 has a low of 0.04 L, that is ~38 times darker than the A3, on the other hand it is only $16 to find out.

I haven't tried reading with a light, but the sub lumen is useful. In fact I have an Armytek Predator that's even lower, and it's funny to see .01 lumens "throw". Can't really see the spill though ;)

How can you find a flashlight in complete darkness,if you turn it off?

Sub-lumens is useful!

Lennart

i don't have a lot of use for much less than 5-10 lumen's in doors just strains my eyes

out doors i 50-100 minimum

but i'm getting older as well and have gone from wearing my glasses occasionally to wearing them all the time in the last few years