Suggest to me a UV Flashlight for US Currency

an easy solution is to have a resistor eat like 100mA and use a star with better layout and copper core

my diode is behind a ZWB2 filter but does not emit light on almost a third of its surface

in German TLF multiple people complain about damaged Diodes

Thank you djozz and Lexel. I’ll bring this up to Simon and pass on the details you’ve shared. Hopefully we’ll see an improved version in the near future. I’ve wondered about these UV lights for a while but don’t really have a need for one…not that lack of “need” has slowed down my flashlight collecting. My wife keeps asking “Do you really NEED another flashlight?”! :smiley:
Hand prints on the ceiling does sound fun though! :laughing:

If Simon is upgrading the UV S2+ anyway, a nice addition would be a ZWB2 filter as a lens (he already stocks those filters). The Nichia has only little visible light but still the UV-fluoresence is washed out a bit by it.

If it was only hand prints on the ceiling!, it is stains litterally everywhere, in all sorts of colours, and without the UV you see nothing, and usually the stains do not come off easily.

I’ve ordered the S2+ from Simon, with J-Dub’s help (thanks again). I don’t expect to use it for long periods - these days I don’t think I use any of my regular lights for more than 10 minutes at a time, so the UV will be just a plaything, to spot if my dogs are behaving themselves when I leave them alone. :smiley:

One light you never see mentioned is the Streamlight Night Com UV-
three 365 and three 390 UV LEDs plus low and high LED.
I have a Countryman SV 5w 365, a couple of Convoys of different spec and a couple of Jaxman but I always go back to the Streamlight.
I worked for years in a job which required passport and document checks and the Streamlight was the best UV light I ever found.

The Streamlight looks nice and sounds very practical. We tend to advice raw performance on BLF though, maybe that is why that nice (but low performing compared to the high output UV led Convoy) flashlight is not mentioned on BLF :slight_smile:

Streamlight or HDS = CR123 powered UV
Convoy or Cu6 = 18650 power, or
Jet-UV = AAA option
Jaxman E3 UV = AA option
Mecarmy SGN3 = built in USB rechargeable LiFePo I think

they all work, the Voltages of the power supplies are different, so, higher Voltage cells last longer, are brighter, and go in bigger heavier lights

choices are good

Simon has already talked to the factory about the issue and will be sourcing a better quality copper board.

I don’t know exactly how long it will take to hit production but it’s in the works.

I have measured the temperature of the S2+ Body with 25dC room temperature it tops at 44.8dC when the LED is running a while
So there is no much room for any LED board thermal resistance and the Tj is at its absolute max rating

I would reduce the operating current on the copper boards still with a resistor on the driver eating like 100mA to be on the safe side

A thought for Simon:
I know that a Nichia UV led sounds good in sales perspective, but if a cheaper modern good output 365nm led is sourced with a 3535 footprint, like the LiteOn or a LG led, in combination with a DTP board and a ZWB2 filter, the output, (at 1.5A) is much better, in fact it will surpass anything for sale atm.

Hello

I'm new here, I was looking for a UV flashlight myself two years ago and i finally bought an MTE - UV U301,

it's a 18650 with a Nicchia led, nice thrower with a good hotspot, at least for me,

i'm not very technical so don't know how it's driven and by what

and it's only one mode light

some pics :

it's a 10cm post-it @ 3 m from the wall

and i'm not affiliated by any way to MTE, just a guy who like flashlights

two years ago i've paid 125€ shipped to france

cheers

Not (for checking on money).

My S2+ and filter arrived when I was on holiday. Great little light. Bit scary looking around the bathroom, but at least I’ve confirmed that my dogs behave themselves when I’m out.

Great service from Simon at Convoy, and thanks again to J-Dub for his help.

I wonder if there is any reason most UV lights are single-mode? A 5% low wouldn’t make much sense in those lights, but a 30–50 medium would.
Of course it’s somewhat difficult to know the current mode, even more if a filter is used, but with only 2 modes it shouldn’t be too hard.

I built an IYP365 UV light with the stock M-L-H driver and honestly I always end up using the High level…
My other UV lights are single mode and they are easier to use, IMHO you don’t need modes on UV lights

+1

I build my Liteon Convoy S3 with a cheap driver that always comes on with high with no memory, with one star soldered to ground

I mostly use High, but can switch to med and low if needed

for the Convoy you need to remove one AMC chip

How can we learn that new version is in production now? Do you have any new information?

J-Dub, can you ask Simon if we can purchase just the pill to replace the older one. That’s of course when they come up with a fix for the over heating problem.

Was walking the beach on Lake Michigan the other night using the Convoy UV light to floress stones. What I got was a massive amount of bugs all over. Even though humans can’t see the light, the bugs sure can. Would turn the light off, and the bugs would disappear. The second I turned it back on, I was swarmed.