SUGGESTIONS for Skyline1 emitter swap

Have this oldie but goody Skyline1. I am about to acquire a tail cap switch and have an extra pill. Want to keep a TIGHT bright hot spot like the original but brighter. Have seen several XML swaps in the past but results are increased hot spot not laser like the original. Would like to keep the driver under 3A. What would be the best new cool white emitter for this light maintaining a small bright hot spot XPL, XPG, XPE2 etc……
Suggestions PLEASE!

I have a Skyline 1 too. With the super deep reflector almost anything is going to be tightly focused with little spill. I plan to put a dedomed XP-G2 in mine, an XP-L would be brighter, but throw wouldn’t be that good in comparison.

I have a Skyline I modified with a XP-L and the beam is VERY tight! You could purchase or do a domeless XP-L or XM-L2 for even tighter spot, with the domed XP-L you are looking at a hotspot just a tad smaller than the TN-31 XM-L2

I also changed the electronic switch for a forward clickie and got a 17mm hi power driver, but you will have to dremel the brass retaining ring and file the driver to make it fit, very worth it! IMHO

HTH
AlexGT

Thanks guys! Want to keep an old pill/tailcap so I could return the Skyline1 to stock. With the extra pill and tail cap coming I”ll have the ability to ditch that switch for something more appropriate like AlexGT suggested. I have a couple of old XM-L2 aluminum for a possible dedome. What driver are you using Alex and at what amperage? Would the gain be worth the effort in going with a Noctigon based emitter running at about 3A?

I am running mine on a 17mm FET driver (DD), and had to open up the brass retaining ring to make it fit, I think if you use the 15mm FET driver it will drop right in without any sanding or dremeling. IIRC the original driver was about 15.5 to 16mm in diameter.

Do go with a copper MPCB regardless of whatever led you are using the XP-L has a less pronounced transition between the hotspot and the corona, the XM-L has a more sharp transition between the HS and the corona.

Do not loose that plastic black led centering ring, it centers the the 16mm noctigon MPCB like it was specifically made for it. centering the led is a piece of cake!

As others have mentioned, it remains a tight thrower after upgrade. Especially considering the small reflector diameter. I have the 2 x 18650 version and gutted it for XM-L2 + 3.5A buck driver.

Don’t have an XP-G2 so I ordered one. Plan on a de-dome. Using a Nanjg 111 knock off single mode 1400ma board and am stacking another 4 7135s for a total of 2.8A.