Supbeam X60 Battery-carrier Improved

I agree.
Sending us “new” carriers that now require a special 6.2 volt adapter they send us, (that is not UL/CSA approved or tested to met North American safety standards is just another recipe for disaster. First it was unbalanced charging that risked cells overheating and even venting & grenading flashlights, now its having to use a non-approved/tested possibly unsafe adapter that could over heat & cause a fire.
After all this there seems to be no real solution, only one problem compounded by another problem. Its not impossible to build and properly test a three 18650 carrier that can charge 3 cells safely and equally using the Standardized 5.0 volt DC Universal Serial Bus power.
its gotten to the point now i’m ready to give up on this light issue and declare the built in charging option an unsafe useless feature. My X40 will likely be posted soon in the buy & sell section of the forum, up for sale as i lost faith in it and Supbeam/acebeam to properly and safely fix this problem.
I no longer want to waste time on this issue as i firmly believe it will be not corrected or fixed properly, and wasted money on this defective light.

Would the cells really have vented though? I think most 4.20V rated cells can handle a 4.25V charge voltage or even 4.30V, although at a cost of longevity.

I think using a 6V adapter with an USB port creates an even bigger problem.

With the new carrier i tested that charged only one cell and leaving the other two dead causes me concern.
This is what their Electronics Engineering said to me: ” –3 batteries are charging indpendently. 2 of them are controlled by electronic switch. Another one is not. Thus if input lower voltage, 2 of them switch won’t be ON, it will be OFF around Voltage 3.7V. For that one without switch, it can be charged fully about 4.17V.”
meaning one or two cells will be left dead or charged if we use the “new” carrier with any standard USB power source as the light had intended to, and risky when three of these cells are loaded up with the light on High for a period of time, (especially if an unaware buyer uses unprotected cells) I am uncomfortable with running a light where one cell could be near dead & the other three full charged, or vice versa.

EDIT: now thinking about this, this new carrier is supposed to be improved, but this adds a new danger, and my original carrier actually charged them to a closer voltage. (at least it charged all three, and not charged one leaving two others dead… making the new carrier worse than the original.

Also you made another good point, if someone used the “new” 6.2 volt adapter to charge other USB devices by mistake, it may damage them or cause a fire risk, as USB power is supposed to be standardized at only the 5.0 volt DC output.

With quality cells I doubt so but that’s not the point.

The discrepancy I was seeing between cells was very significant. Cell balance and longevity would most certainly become an issue over time.

In my case with brand new matched Panasonics this amounts to abusing expensive cells.

Obviously run time suffers if all cells aren’t charged correctly, another downside to this carrier issue.

TO ACEBEAM:

FIX THE CARRIER DO NOT SEND ANOTHER CHEAP LOW QUALITY TRANSFORMER/ADAPTOR !

If you use this light yourself, that may be a risk that is assumable. If you sell these, gift them to friends or family, I would not be prepared to assume that risk, nor would I expect an explanation why the recipient should assume or not to be fruitful at all.

Possession of this light just became the exclusive domain of torch nutters. It comes with caveats that most people will not naturally associate with a torch.

Please be patient, a good solution is coming to you.......lol

Oh yes, patience is a virtue. I have waited long enough for this and I’m not about to lose a good night’s sleep and stress myself!

Sure, mistakes have been made, corrections, or the lack of it, has been initiated, still life goes on in the flashaholic in me.

This fiasco is beyond any reasonable expectation of patience.

It’s quite absurd they failed so absolutely AND took such a long time doing it.

This is what gets me though. Its like their laughing at us dummies. "Each one has been hand tested"? Really?

Stringing us along. They probably have a group laugh everytime one of these posts come in. In reality nothing can be done about it but maybe loose a few customers. Well, you actually can do something. The more you use the word ACEBEAM , the more hits show up on the internet when the 99.99 percent of their new customers start looking for REVIEWS OR REVIEW on which flashlight to buy.

wow.

just WOW.

whats the point? ill stick with my crap carrier i have now and just continue to remove the cells when the light is stored

at least now I have the option of using the in-light charger for a quick charge once and a while

agreed.

And there you have it. They wear you out until you get to this point^^^^^^^^^^^^!

I am looking this from a positive side, new free power brick coming my way :smiley: Just keep them coming :stuck_out_tongue:

Shouldn’t we always be? Remember, even the great Apple iPhone at one time must
be held in a certain position to successfully make a call….

A new free piece of junk liability actually.

If you’d ever looked at the output of one of these cheap shit transformers under load on a scope you’d understand why.

ACEBEAM

SUPBEAM

MICROBLUEBEAR

That un-tested, low-cost un-approved by UL/CSA power brick may be a fire waiting to happen… Here is the risk on the rise: How safe is your phone charger? | Daily Mail Online

Quite a disappointing outcome after spending so much time, resources and effort from everyone.

Indeed but with the exception of effort from:

ACEBEAM

SUPBEAM

MICROBLUEBEAR

Let the google indexing begin.

Not to mention that absolutely FILTHY waveform you’re feeding your valuable sensitive electronics via a 25 cent POS transformer.

Definition of false economy really.

So…got my new X40 battery carrier…who’s up for a game of soccer?

Tennis perhaps?

Pick a sport, I’ve got the thing we’ll whack around

(seriously though, is there any point even unpacking it???)