Supbeam X60 Group Buy - Interest and Discussion Thread - Dangerous problem discovered!

I’m interested, is it too late?

No, go to the original post of this thread and click on the link, there are plenty left.

I want one now! Pm the price please!

as an observer only, I think you (FlashPilot) have done an incredible job on this endeavor since day one. I couldn’t see anyone doing a better job. Amazing communication, all those PMs, pictures, warnings, advice, and on and on and on. Big kudos to you friend!

What the heck is that huge emitter sitting at the top right of the pic? Hmm…

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Cree-Inc/CXA3050-0000-000N00W227F/?qs=Yyy8avaXlIu9AlR20Q53fw%3D%3D&gclid=CjsKDwjwmuafBRCQ7ef6zJXhdRIkAFH2mecy6CGYwA54KhtOFfEMm5-vMsxIg01f6tARkiv7T6yZGgKfOPD_BwE

Awesome torture test…. but the first thing that went threw my head was: Are those 80 or 92mm fans? Are they Delta’s? What socket is that heatsink for in the top right? :stuck_out_tongue:

Old hobbies still always take my eyes away from new ones…… :bigsmile:

http://www.bridgelux.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/DS28-Bridgelux-Decor-High-CRI-Array-Data-Sheet-2013.10.22.pdf

That huge emitter :heart_eyes:

Yeah Flash, you kept it classy. I certainly wouldn't mind doing business with you again.

I hate being given incorrect information. I based my buying decision partly on your answer, InfinitusEquitas.

Now I’m not sure if I want to proceed with the purchase, even though I’ve already sent my payment. I already have a 2300 lm light and a 3000 lm light. I wanted a 5000 lm light. A 3500 lm light won’t be a lot brighter than my other two lights. I use my high-powered lights in the dark, outside, in winter, when cooling isn’t much of a problem. I wanted the X60 because even if it dropped from 5000 lm to 3500 lm, I could very quickly, and one-handed, switch it back to 5000 lm using the control ring, according to InfinitusEquitas. Wrong.

FlashPilot, do you think I would be able to cancel my order? I’m not sure yet if I want to, but is it an option?

That sucks that they step down after 2 min when selfbuilt’s and the’s v1 versions stepped down at 3 min.

Going to disagree with you there. For me what happens is when I hit the final stop on the magnetic ring, where you would be in turbo, sometimes, not always, but sometimes, the light will kick over into strobe mode. A quick turn to strobe, over that detent, and back, and I'm in turbo properly the way it's meant to be.

I talked to Vinh, and he has offered to fix the problem, but quite honestly, it hasn't been enough of a bother for me to ship the lights to him to work on.

The lights are very far from ruined. The only real difference is my modded lights get hot that much faster. I don't really put them into turbo much at all though, so it's not really an issue, and also when using these lights, or any modded light, I only leave them out of my hands, if they are set to a reasonable level where they will not cook themselves.

As with any high output light, modded or not, the best option is to just keep a hand on it... getting warm/hot to hold turn it down. It's that simple.

To make sure I don't have any issues when I go camping (and kids freaking love them) grab a pack of these: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0045H0L1W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 only thing you have to remember after is, to throw them out.

FWIW, dedome on this light is extremely pleasant to the eyes, and will produce 300-400kcd.

So in effect, in order to reestablish max without switching off (clicky), all you need to do is dim and up the ring the again, right?

There will probably be some differences in how the lights behave in that regard, with bypassing the turbo timer.

Wouldn't just turning it down from turbo, just until you barely notice a difference, act the same way, without needing to turn it back up?

You end up still having plenty of side spill. Basically the same result as a dedomed TK75, but with more light. Not to mention, unlike the TK75, as you well know the X60 has a very nice actual low :D

Thanks FP

Two minutes is a long time. I’ve modded several large multi emitter lights with FET drivers, and the get hot…fast. Ouch! I wished I had a turbo timer programmed. I step them down 50%, and the visual difference is negligible.

Xed888, I think your question was “when the X60 steps down, what do I do to get it back to Max?” but FP’s latest instructions are for how to prevent the X60 from reaching true Max. Instead, he’s showing how to get to just-under-Max. At just-under-Max, the output is close to Max, and the step-down timer is not active.

Same goes for lux... much less than half the throw is lost at a medium level vs turbo.

Really it seems like the only time I ever use turbo is when playing around with my lights alone, or testing one when it first arrives. On turbo I'd have half a campground yelling at me in short order. Actually used my X60, along with MM15 to help with lighting for a concert, and neither of the lights was on turbo. Granted it was a very small stage.

Who wants to burn their light up? Not me. Thank God it has a way of helping me not to burn it up.