Svitac Mini CREE R5 - opinions please

Started upgrading my keychain EDC flashlights. Right now I have a Maglite Solitare LED and a Ray-O-Vac Mini LED. These are advertised at 37 and 6 lumens. I have the ML for when I need a brighter light and the ROV for when I don’t need as bright a light and instead need run time.

I’ve just ordered the ThruNite Ti3 and I’m excited about getting it as it has some really nice features. Surfing Ebay and came across this:

Svitac Mini CREE R5

Specifications:

SKU:14291
Brand: Svitac
Material: Aluminum alloy
Emitter Type: CREE R5
Brightness: 100 lumens
Mode: 1
Reflector: Orange peel reflector
Lens: Glass Lens
Battery type: 1x AAA (not included)
Runtime: 3.5 hours
Operate voltage: 4.2V
Switch type: Tailcap clicky switch
Waterproof: Yes
Light color: White
Zoomable Focus: No
Length: 77.4mm
Diameter: 13.6mm
Color: Titanium
Weight: 22g

What caught my eye was the operating voltage of 4.2V. If I understand this correctly it means that it would be safe to use a 10440 in it? This looks like an interesting light and I welcome thoughts on it. In the description it says ‘up to 100 lumens’. I’m wondering if this is with a AAA or if it is with one of the 10440’s?

If I was considering it— my concerns would be ( aside from unknown maker)
A- no pocket clip
B- exposed clicky switch could lead to accidental activation in pocket

Thank you, that is something I hadn’t considered. Looking further I see this:

MX POWER ML-101 CREE Q5

The lanyard doesn’t impress me, but I wouldn’t use it anyway as I’d have it on the keychain. Even better price. It is an off/on rotate.

Don’t know about that one, but I have bought several of these, and like them.
http://www.fasttech.com/products/1601/10009202/1815003-u-520-1-cree-xp-e-q5-250-lumen-3-mode-pure-white
Jerry

Check out the Tank007 E09:

http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10002363/1173305-tank007-e09-cree-xp-e-r3-120-lumen-3-mode-memory-e

This is a nice compact 1xAAA twisty; It can use 10440s with no problems.

Mine is a first-gen model and will only take unprotected cells; I think newer models have been updated to take the longer protected cells as well.

Like others, I don’t have info on that particular light.

The Jexree Mini and SF-348 are some other AAA sized lights that are well regarded. Both have clips, but neither have lanyard holes. There are many threads on them, but I posted a quick comparison here

Thanks guys for the suggestions. Took a look at each and really liked them all, but when I saw the E09 was available in red I was sold. You see my SAK is red and it would be on the same keychain and well…I’ve got to have a color coordinated EDC keychain :wink:

If only the Ti3 came in red as well…

Looking forward to getting both the Ti3 and the E09. That is really a lot of power out of a little package. Since the E09 can use 10440’s, does anyone have suggestions as to good brands/links for them? Don’t have any yet so the field is wide open.

For 10440’s Efest is the only way to go. They are available at Illumn.com and mtnelectronics

Thank you sir :slight_smile:

Mountain is good as PilotDog68 recommended, but they only have unprotected cells in stock...

You can get the inferior UltraFire/TrustFire protected cells, but good luck getting cells from overseas sellers now.

See this post regarding the shade of red on the E09...https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/18053#comment-377438

<Edit>

Some reviews say the Red E09 is more of a pinkish-purple, not a true "MagLite Red".

I don’t own that one but from looking at the picture on your link I have concerns:

1. The pictured emitter isn’t a Cree Q5. It doesn’t appear to be a Cree emitter at all.
2. The pictured light doesn’t appear to have the right dimensions for a 1xAAA light. Looks too fat and short… more likely a 1xCR123 light. It’s possible they used the picture of a different light. Or it’s possible they used the right picture but gave the written description of a different light than what you get.

[Quote] For 10440’s Efest is the only way to go. They are available at Illumn.com and mtnelectronics
[/quote]

I second that. Both Illumn and Mountain Electronics are first-class suppliers.

Li-ion cells are dangerous. They can explode and cause fires if treated improperly or if inferior quality cells or chargers are used. It’s fine to buy budget lights, but I don’t recommend skimping when it comes to li-ion cells. Make sure to get quality cells from a reputable supplier.

With the described operating voltage of 4.2V, this one should only work with 10440. AAA voltage is too low.

From your link the light looks pretty nice. No need for a pocket clip on a keychain light, though the protruding switch button could be a problem.

Just ordered a couple of Efest 10440 from Mountain Electronics. Thank you for the recommendation.

Why would you want lion in a AAA light? It gets hot, and has less capacity than other batteries? Just curious.
Jerry

Actually, 10440 has higher capacity than other AAA size battery types. Capacity is measure in terms of mAh * voltage.

The main reason to have 10440 (or any size li-ion) is you typically get access to a much higher max brightness, while still having long runtime at lower power modes (assuming you bought a light with multimodes).

In looking at 10440 batteries it appears that the capacities are less than 400mAh, while nimh are 800 - 1100mAh.
Did I miss something? I realize that you get a much higher max brightness, but at a cost of too hot to hold, and unless I have missed some 10440s that have higher capacities, the nimh will last longer at any level.
Please correct me if I am in error.
Thanks,
Jerry

This is my thinking: The 10440 will maximize the performance ‘if’ I need it. But I also EDC spare batteries for all my lights. So for the AAA lights I have both 900mah NiMH and alkaline for back up and extended run.

When I receive the two I ordered (Ti3 & E09) I will likely carry both on the EDC keychain (I go by the two is one and one is none philosophy). It seems both are capable of using the 10440 without issue, but I’ll have one set of NiMH for each and one set of alkalines for each as well in my EDC pack since they take up so little room and weight next to nothing). This way I have the best of all possible options available to me should I need them.

Thanks, Dave.
I also have a few 10440s but do not find a use for them. I don’t disagree with you, however, and there is a WOW factor in using any lion. I have used them in a Tank 007 e09, but have not used in a Ti3, which I got a couple of days ago.
Regards,
Jerry

Because a 10440 is a higher voltage, the driver does not have to ‘boost’ the output to light the led. Watts = Volts x Amps.
So to get 3 watts of light, a 3.6v lion will need to supply 0.83amps, whereas a 1.2v NiMH would need to supply 2.5amps to get the same 3 watts of power/light. So at that level an 800mah NiMH would theoretically last 0.32hours, but a 350mah LiON would last 0.42hrs

Again, thats all theoretical in a world of perfect efficiency.

Yes, a 10440 gives you higher maximum brightness, but it can also give longer run times with the right driver.