Tangsfire C8 XM-L2 U3 Review

I will do them this evening. Tmart is fast. I got mine in about 5 days I believe.

chatted with them, their USA warehouse she said was in New Jersey. I have (2) C8s presently - like I’m thinking this is somehow going to be any different. HAD to get one cuz of the price! I still have to get me a Convoy C8 also :bigsmile:

looking forward to the pictures, thanks in advance for doing it.

patrick

I will throw a couple of others in for the mix. I have 7 C8 sized lights.

Just got back from doing the shots. Sorry that they turned out a little blurry but 38 degrees and the wind gusting at about 25MPH is cold for a south Texas boy! I hope the OP will not mind me posting these on his thread. If so just tell me and I will delete them.
First is a Dongrie All-920 Stock XR-E Q5

Armytec Predator Stock XP-G2

Ultrafire C8 De-domed XP-E2

Xin TD V4 Stock XM-L2

Tangsfire C8 Stock XM-L2

Ultrafire C8 De-domed XM-L2

Palight C8 De-domed Xp-G2

These were taken at 120 meters. Looks like with the wind gusting I kind of missed the mark on the last two de-domed lights. They are much more impressive than they looked in these shots.

Theres nothing worse trying to take night shots and the wind keeps blowing the light rays everywhere. :bigsmile:
Thanks again for the shots.

As expected, quite a performer. What amps are you seeing in yours?

I hope my Tangsfire coming in the mail produces the same results you show in your photo. Thanks very much for your suffering.

Based on the original review and these comparison shots I decided to order one as well. Looking forward to receiving it.

I just tried measuring them with my cheapo HF multimeter and it gave me a ridiculously low reading of 1.22A. Then I measured the Xin TD and it measured 1.33. Both of these lights are running fully charged Samsung 20R cells so both of those readings go directly in the toilet. We(brother and I) keep all of our testing stuff at our mothers house where we meet on weekends to ” play lights :slight_smile: ) The Xin TD has either a 2.8 or 3.04 driver I can’t remember which so it shows how stupid low my DMM readings are. Both lights are putting out over 900 OTF lumens after 30 seconds so that tells you something.

I was having too much fun to suffer too much. Lol.

how can this light be that much brighter than the XinTD

After seeing the photos, can’t wait for mine to arrive :cowboy_hat_face:

Direct drive with a 20r should be about 4.5A on the low side stock. It should be brighter than the 3A Xintd. The lumen measures I’ve seen suggest they are almost equal though, which seems odd.

Replace the aluminum star and add copper to the springs on the c8 and a stock Xintd shouldn’t even be remotely close to the output of a DD c8.

Thanks for the beam shots. That’s a crazy amount of light for the price! Glad I ordered one! 8)

Please be warned again, it's not a U3 and the only reason it's bright is because it's direct drive - insane amps that will drop fairly quickly - a couple of mins of output near the level of a proper regulated 3A C8. Personally, I'd rather recommend the Convoy listed in this thread - read post #28: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/23760.

Well a couple of things that might contribute to the Tangsfire appearing brighter is at start up it is almost 200 lumens brighter than the Xin TD And the Xin is a little warmer tint. They did not seem that far apart in real life.

Tangsfire C8 XM-L2 U3 - that’s what it’s advertised as. I’m a bit envious of you people in the know. You can actually tell by looking at it what kind of emitter it is? How do know it isn’t a U3? Or , what is a U3 :slight_smile: If it isn’t will you bring that to Louis attention? How does one know if it’s an XM-L or an XM-L2? Should we just be happy we got a fairly decent light at a good price?

I wish those in the know would post their opinions at the start of the thread, so those ignoramus like me could make an informed decision to buy or not instead of getting sucked in by a shark feeding frenzy mentality. I suppose the alternative to this would be to gain knowledge.

my light was ordered on the 2nd, shipped today with tracking number -

U3's are not in production, and based on the lumens (binning is based on output/lumens), it does not perform better than a U2. Louis did not respond to my questions in a post in his thread. I've been through this before with other vendors - same old, same old. They can't prove it and technically, they don't have a clue - I got better testing tools then they do.

XML vs XM-L2 is easy - color of the PCB the emitter is mounted on, binning however is difficult.

From what I understand the rarity of xml2 u3 makes it all but impossible to acquire in some obscure flashlight. The only way afaik for one to know for certain is to have manufactured it.

You can tell xml2 from XML by the color of the substrate around the yellow phosphor. Silver is xml2, green is XML.

Based on some of the results others have posted it seems these contain U2-1A which is still a fantastic emitter. One of these by itself would run you $4-6, the driver another 3-5, the host itself about $10.

This is a good light according to many other posts, at a reasonable price.

I'd guess maybe a XM-L2 U2 1A, maybe a XM-L2 T6 1A for this light's output I and others tested -- and I do agree, still, it's a decent light for the money. I did recommend it to friends, though I'd prefer a more standard C8 host, but their hard to find lately...