Tesla's new 4680 - We're gonna need a bigger flashlight

Personally I don’t care how big the light is if I’m just looking for power. I’d want it it be probably 50 pounds or less (: maybe a ghostbusters design with a backpack full of 4680s

That’s pretty clear :smiley:

Yeah, I can see uses for lights like that.

A dive light with a battery pack on the belt with even 1 or 2 4680s could be great. Or a 4680 pack on the belt that powers your dive computer, headlamp, tethered hand light, and communication helmet. And heated drysuit. Awesome.

None of the above is my idea of budget, but still exciting.

I’d love a heated jacket that takes 4680s or even 21700. I have one that takes this funky proprietary battery that’s only like 5,200 mah and costs $60 or $70 for an extra

Basically, the 46800 sized cell is an increase in energy density by itself due to the smaller ratio the canister itself takes.

What makes Tesla’s 46800 special is that they have a considerably different chemistry setup that makes their energy density considerably higher than current classical lithium-ion designs.

Personally, I want a BLF GT with 2 of them :slight_smile:

Any 4 x 18650 light will be very similar in diameter to the 4680 - the minimum circle to fit 4 x 18mm circles is 43.5mm. Add a little space for clearance around each battery and you’re basically at 46mm

I made this post about a mythical 45650 cell for the LT1 (derived from the Q8, of course) before Tesla had given any hints of a 46mm battery. It accidentally led DBSAR on a wild goose chase, since the advantage in energy density for this kind of application of such a cell was immediately obvious:

I’d also be interested in a laser with a cell like this. The most powerful one I have right now is a 7 watt blue. Of course it would be limited by max power on the diode, heat…

I don’t know if this is old news or not. That’s one big mother battery.

Perhaps a xenon arc lamp? They don’t seem to have the same heat challenges as LED based on my limited experience with my Firefoxes FF5. I think they used to have gigantic ones back in WW2 that consumed like 20 kW but made a beam 20 miles long

And another “don’t hold your breath” post:

Only 2 more years for the Panasonic batteries, if their predictions are correct.

It could be 8 years before we see anything. We get the tailings from the RC and Hobby industry anyway. That’s how 26800 came around.

IIRC the 4680 is going to be used in their Texas factory this year.
Panasonic will be supplying Tesla elsewhere.

Tesla is also looking for batteries from LG and Samsung.
Basically they want to double or triple their car production rate in the next couple years.

Yeah. Tesla is making their own special 4680 cells, while Panasonic is making them for anybody who asks and pays nicely :stuck_out_tongue:

Basically, Tesla will get all the cells they can get, especially with Giga Texas, Berlin, and a 2nd Giga China probably coming online.

7 watt. You cut plywood with it in a cnc machine? Usually lasers like that have a fan attached on a module

Yeah, and 7W would be so abominably dangerous to handle that I’m not even sure if it could pass regulations.

It would be illegal as a flashlight type pointing device, but no regulation if it’s used like it was intended, like a CNC laser etch and cutting tool. Efficient High Power Diode Lasers | J Tech Photonics

5-10% energy density increase from moving to the new form factor(just Panasonic cells, Tesla cells are different, and have a lot more added to it to give a 50% increase in energy density which make them superior).

Looks good enough to have 4 of them side by side in a flashlight.

A 50% increase in energy “density”? Where did you see that? If true, this new cell can power the MS18 longer than the current battery pack.