Test of a Luminus SST-20-W 3000K 95CRI led

There are two enogears in the photo. The first is labeled “stock.” The second is labeled 7A. Presumably, he knows the tint because he modded it.

Oops I missed that. Thanks

A belated thank you for testing, Djozz.
I’m about to put one of these in my TINI, which arrived today.
(Got the XP-G3 off already)
Wish me luck…

Success!

Lovely cozy rosy LED. :+1:

I just put 3 of these into a wuben to46r, and am extremely pleased with the tint and beam They seem to throw a bit better even behind the carclo optics the light came with the xpg3

I scanned through the thread and did not see any mention of De doming? I could have missed it though.

1.Can this LED be dedomed successfully w/ positive results?

2.Has anyone done this?

I bought the Nitewatch NS22 SEEKER W/ This LED and it throws surprising well w/ dome on[90Kcd] w/ 3000K

They’re even more difficult to dedome than their big brother SST-40.
Even though the phosphor layer is not mixed with the silicone, the silicone is nearly impossible to break down with chemicals.
Even very hot pure Toluene won’t do the job.
It will only make the dome swell up, and yes, it will detach from the phosphor, but it will break the bond wires trapped inside the silicone.
You can shave them, but not too close or you will cut the bond wires…
Someone on BLF shaved one and left the silicone over the bond wires, but that’s micro surgery skills at work…

Shaving these 95 CRI leds will warm the tint up, it will become even rosier. But it will loose you 20% output, which is worse than dedoming cool white leds.

Thank you Jerommel and djozz for your answers,HAPPY NEW YEAR!

What tint you tested ?
Currently Kaidomain sell Luminus SST-20 J4 HB4 3000K.

I should have added the tint bin in the OP but did not think of that at the time because there was just that 1 tint available. I’m not 100% sure but I have not noticed a new listing for the SST-20 3000K in the past period so I assume they still sell the same batch.
Besides, it appears that KD’s tint listings are notoriously unreliable so who knows what I tested and what they sell at the moment?, can be anything.

What’s the maximum safe current for a high CRI SST-20? I’m hoping 4-4.5 Amps will be OK for regular turbo runs.

My own rule is 80% of max, it is on the safe side but that last 20% extra brightness is hard to see anyway. In case of this led that would between 3 and 3,5A. But I’m sure the led will still be ok at 4.5A.

Thank you djozz. I’m going to use it in a BLF A6 host with 4 - 6 Amp LD-A4 driver to make a throwy tube light. I’ll stick to 4A max current then…

I built recently C8+ with SST-20 4000K and LD-A4

If LD-A4 is configured for 6A current, I measure 5.3A on 100, 1.65A on 30 and 0.53A on 10. 100 mode is twice as bright as 30% (in terms of lux).

If LD-A4 is configured for 4A current, I measure 3.7A on 100, 1.1A on 30 and 0.35A on 10. 100 mode is 2.5x as bright as 30% (in terms of lux).

I like 1.65A mode because C8+ is only slightly warm after 15 minutes.

No SST-20 were harmed during testing :wink:

Thank you, very informative. So you perhaps know the voltage across the LED at 4A, or perhaps 6A?

And how well does it throw in the C8? I might develop a need for a high CRI thrower with my spare C8+ host.

SST-20 4000K fb4 review thread

5.3A - 3.6V

3.7A - 3.4V

A bit worse than XPL-HI in BLF GT mini which is awesome IMO, comparison at the bottom of the post

Thank you so much. Looks like 4A will be perfect to keep the Vf under 3.5v for some decent run times. I have a few spare 3000K SST-20’s from BlueSwordM and I’m itching for a build. Definitely going to try one in a C8+…