Test/Review of AW 16340 ICR123 750mAh (Black) 2016

AW 16340 ICR123 750mAh (Black) 2016

Official specifications:

• Capacity: 750 mAh

• Nominal voltage: 3.7V

• Maximum current: 1A

AW is a well know brand, but how good is the current RCR123/16340 cell? One important specification is the length and this cell is fairly short, but longer than a few years ago.

The cells looks good up to 1A, but they are not that good at higher currents. The capacity is lower than rated!

With the low energy contents in the cell, it do not get very hot (I forgot to put the temperature probe on one of the cells).

Conclusion

The cells under the AW wrapper has changed over time and are getting closer to their specifications.
The cells do still look good.

Notes and links

How is the test done and how to read the charts
How is a protected LiIon battery constructed
More about button top and flat top batteries
Comparison to other LiIon batteries

Thanks for another great review. Disappointing results. I’m used to seeing better from AW.

Both the Keeppower 16340 and the Efest IMR 16340 are better performers, especially at higher loads.

The interesting things with this cell is protection and size close to CR123, i.e. it can sometimes (Look out for voltage) replace two CR123 in series.

I didn’t realize there was so much variability in the overall size of the 16340’s.

Probably because I only have two flashlights that use them.

Well, three if you count my EC11 - 18350 powered flashlight …
… which, BTW, I think is a much better form factor than the 16340-based flashlights.

Thank you for testing my favourite 16340 battery,

The size is an important matter in flashlights in cr123-size; The AWRCR123 fits even in older Zebralights in this size;
I have these batteries in use for about 3-4 years. They perform still quite well, protection works and they reach still 4,18V;
So I would say, there is no progress of internal resistance in these cells in contrast to some other cells I own (Soshine, Solarforce)

The stability over the years is another argument for me;
The AW RCR123 are still my first coice in this battery size;