Test/review of Charger Xtar VP4 Plus Dragon

Double check that, but keep in mind people have Sanyo cells, as well as every other brand. according to battery university ideal storage is at about 40%.

I use HKJ comparator, and see that you have about 1/3 of mAh left with Sanyo GA at 3.6V, at reduced voltage of course. A lot has changed in five years time, such as chemichal composition of Li-ion, and I do wonder to what extent these rules of thumb from back then are valid. I wouldn’t be surprised if things have changed a bit.
Let me give you an example. I’ve heard often that self discharge of Li-ion is 1 year. I’ve experienced a couple of times from charging old cells that I haven’t touched a couple of years that they still had a decent voltage; I was really like wut?

I’ve seen the figure 40% in lots of other places too.

So instead of basing it upon a voltage figure, wouldn’t it be better to discharge 60% of the measured capacity?

I agree, with every battery being different you need to go by the battery your storing. This means a charger that allows a storage voltage would need to be adjustable
Self discharge in healthy cells is negligible unless its connected to a device with an electronic switch/circuitry or is a protected cell which has built in circuitry.

Thats the basic idea, or charge to 40% if the battery is already drained

THANKS FOR THE REVIEW HKJ!

Thanks everyone for ALL your input. the more I read this the LESS I want this charger!

-No Voltage read out

-No current readout

- From what I see only displays 2 channels at a time on the LCD screen, 1 & 4 OR 2 & 3! WHY not 4, unless I am missing something. I have yet to see a photo of ALL Four bays displayed w/ info.

-Of course the price!

-$69 was the cheapest I saw it on Fast Tech w/ BLF code [USA Power supply version]

-Ordering from China not something I have done too much. I much prefer the customer service in my country,no worries!

Those are more than enough reasons for me! :wink: