• Battery Technology: Alkaline
  • Battery Terminals: Raised Positive and Flat Negative
  • External Diameter: 10.5mm
  • External Height: 44.5mm
  • Weight: 11g
  • Battery IEC Code: LR03
  • Operating Temperature Max: 54°C
  • Operating Temperature Min: -20°C

The "best" alkaline batteries from Duracell. Each cell includes a device to measure remaning power.

As usual the capacity of alkaline cells varies with load. I am not very impressed with the capacity of these cells, the are not better than the Duracell Plus.

Conclusion

These cell has fairly average performance.

Notes and links

How is the test done and how to read the charts
Compare to other AA/AAA batteries: Alkaline/NiMH/Lithium

I am very curious - how does the remaining charge indicator works?

They have given them with cells before, but they had to be placed around the cell to test. It is a liquid crystal device that measures voltage. Maybe there are long molecules with charge at one end that align with the field? They must draw some current or they wouldn’t need the switch.

I believe that the indicator is a temperature sensing strip with a heating element on the back. Pressing the dots connects the heating element across the battery and the indication is the temperature of the heating element.

That is simpler, but sensitive to ambient temperature. I guess it was silly of me to think they had worked out their own chemistry.

Probably the reason they write that you have to test at 21C.

The test strip used to be common on Australian Duracell and Energizer cells. I never found them particularly useful.