Texas_Ace MT09R Modding thread, 20k+ lumens, 80CRI, can start fires? Yes please.

If that is what someone wants I can do that but would have to charge for the extra labor of installing and then reinstalling the driver naturally (I have to remove the driver to swap the LEDā€™s).

This is latest gen in terms of appearance.

First gen: has no switch plate whatsoever. Button was bonded/press fit. HaikeLite MT03 review with measurements (3x XHP70, 4x 18650)
Second gen: This was released very quickly after the first group buy, and became known as MT03 II, and differentiates in appearance with a metal switch plate. Review Haikelite MT03 Devourer
Third gen: The switch plate is the same colour as the body, and light is also available in silver/white. Originally the output was 9000 lumens, but quickly a driver change took place and spec was 12000 lumens. I suspect but have not read it anywhere that it contains a FET driver. I also would not be surprised if the MT03 will be equipped in the near future with a TA driver.
Of course there could have been several iterations in between with little or no visual differences.

Oh damn you know your products sir! I didnā€™t even know there are 3 gens there.
When I bought it was advertised as 9000 lumen so idk of mine is 9000 or 12k. But it doesnā€™t matter anymore because this thing is going to become 20K+ monster lol.

Good info^. I did not follow these lights in the early days.

Yes,t he latest MT03 uses the exact same driver from the MT09 actually from the ones I have pulled apart.

I also expect they will use the TA drivers in the future as well even though I am sure they will not pay me for it nor ask for permission.

After speaking with TA, I just want to clarify that because I was using the GB button top VTC6, it may be holding back the max output due to higher resistance and lower amps on the VTC6. Also ceiling bounce is not that consistent when measuring big lights because placement of the big lights can block ā€œbounced lightā€ to the sensor. I canā€™t wait for the VTC6A to come out.

:+1:

You know the driver, so you ā€™re probably not surprised then if the MT03 has some issues here and there. Even in the latest iteration there were flickering issues with the leds: ENEDED - #216 by freeme

To be clear, it is the button top on the GB VTC6 that seems to be the issue according to another member that was doing some testing.

Personally I know when testing the bad driver to figure out the issue the drivers would work with the GB VTC6 cells almost every time but if I put in 30Q cells they would not. The issue with the old drivers was massive voltage ringing from the high power. The VTC6 did not seem to provide as much power and thus did not have as much ringing.

I have not personally tried the VTC6 so I am just going on reports of others. I am pretty sure that for some reason the GB VTC6ā€™s are not putting out as much power as my abused 30Qā€™s though.

What really surprises me more is that the issues are not more widespread to be honest. That old driver was horrible.

Ironically, my two MT09R lights are the most reliable Haikelites I have. :smiley: I do love the current controlled high output of ~5000 lumens.

Wait a minute. If the MT09R driver is the same as that of the MT03ā€¦ And the MT03 has structural flickering issues with the ledsā€¦ Is it possible to ā€œcorrect/compensateā€ this by placing a capacitor in the led circuit? Is this perhaps what the capacitor was for?

I think they were trying to do this as an afterthought band aid but the capacitor was put in completely the wrong place.

Even I had to go through 3 prototype versions before I got this driver stable at ~250w+ and the final version going to production (and this next batch I am making) is even a little different then these.

Thanks!
Just as a reminder, My light already has your driver installed and the spring bypasses already done :slight_smile:

Yep, I think I have one more like that here, those I can finish, the rest will have to wait for the driver and just get bypasses for now.

Well my friend just bought the modded black NW MT09R from the link and I guess we are ready for camping after I mod my MT03 lol
He bought it in a heartbeat since he knows and used to collect flashlights. He knows itā€™s a great deal with 2 years warrantyā€¦
Told him about it with the link and he just bought it without a questionā€¦
Iā€™m packing my MT03 and itā€™s going to get shipped tomorrow! Meanwhile if any of you guys got beam shots Iā€™ll still appreciate them!

Did he send a PM to Texas Ace detailing everything he wanted to have?

And like him, Iā€™m really excited for the light too. Iā€™m so excited for when Iā€™m gonna get it fully built by Texas Ace.

Also, @Texas Ace, do you really think that Haikelite is going to use your driver in the MT03?

I doubt so, as that would ruin their reputation.

No, he bought the one in NW already modded with TA driver by HaikeLite USA. Which is 20k lumens from testing.
Heā€™s happy with it and the modding of getting extra 1500~2000 lumens probably wonā€™t be noticeable to our eyes anyway.

Guys please remember to let me know if you want you light shipped to TA for any emitter chances of anything else otherwise if it is a complete light it will be shipp ed directly to you...

Thanks very much,

Terry

Think of how easy it would be for HL to do that. They are already building the drivers and they fit in the MT03. Itā€™s just a matter of assembling them with the newer driver and maybe call it V3. Super easy.

I donā€™t see how it would ruin their reputation. Just my 2 cents.

Concerning the updated MT09R that will be coming out in a moth or so, I wonder if HL will also be upgrading the driver spring? Itā€™s difficult for factories to do spring bypasses. Maybe they can do it or maybe they will try a double spring design. It is less likely they will try and bypass the other 4 springs. Maybe Terry can answer that. Have you heard anything Terry?

I just did some comparisons of my 70.2 4000k 80CRI with the 219c 4000k flashlights that I compared with before and it turns out that the M4 bin ones are about as yellow as the 219c. But the higher you push the light, the rosier it gets. The stock 80CRI 4000k 70.2 was actually rosier in tint than the M4 bin. But I didnā€™t notice it until I compared the tint side by side, and it is still a great looking tint. I much rather get 10k more lumens than a rosier tint that I donā€™t really notice unless compared side by side.

I still would love to know where to buy rosy 219c 4000k emitters like in the Oveready B.O.S.S. Would make for great EDC lights around the house. I cannot afford to buy the B.O.S.S.

Haikelite could do the driver spring bypasses.

Sofirn is already doing it with the C8F.

It depends on the company. You canā€™t make a sweeping generalization that if one company can do it, they all can. It is a much more complex situation.