Texas Avenger "TA" Driver series - Triple channel + Bistro or Narsil + Clicky or E-switch - The Ultimate open source driver!

TA is the driver outer ring connected to the ground?

The MT03 had 3X xhp70 emitters that I intend to wire in parallel to the driver.

Yes, just like all the other TA drivers, outside ring is ground and the inside is V+.

If you input 2s then xhp70’s in 6v config will work fine. Although be prepared for big power draw. It could easily draw ~20-25A depending on the cells.

Great.
My MT03 has originally an 4S driver, wich I burned in it’s very first day of usage, because I resistor modded it, but the driver wasn’t able to hold the increase in current.
Contacted HIkelite and bought a new driver, but almost 2 months after my order was made Hikelite didn’t send the driver to me.
After several emails to Hikelite, trying to resolve the situation, I had to open an Paypal dispute, and they choosed to refund my payment, instead of shipping the new driver.
Shame Hikelite, a good product but an horrible client support. Won’t buy again from then.
I will build an TA driver for this light. This will be my highest power mod project!
If everything goes fine, in the end, this will became a big and bad HOTROD!
Thanks TA.

Obiously if the light is setup for 4S cells then the LED’s will need to be setup in 12V mode as well to match. These drivers can’t buck or boost the voltage.

Also, I would leave the 7135’s off as I said above, they are more hassle then they are worth in 2S setups from my experience.

Just make up a ramp table with TK’s script (TomE may have one setup already) for an FET only ramp.

TA, that’s interesting information. I will build the driver like you recommended.
Already modded the battery plates for 2S2P config with success.
Next step is ordering the parts for the driver.

Yep, that should work.

Hi TA, TomE and all others BLF friends.
While I’m waiting for Oshpark to send me the TA driver board for my MT03, I’m experimenting with a 20mm TA board with Attiny 85 on it to develop a firmware for the FET only setup and e-switch.
I’m having trouble.
Could you please sugest a firmware that could be used with the FET only setup in TA triple channel boards?
Mozart

If you are using an e-switch light (pretty sure the mt03 is), then I would use narsiltriple. That is what I am using on my 4S lights and it works great.

You simply need to 0 out the ramp tables for the 7135 channels and then create a new ramp table for the FET channel. I used the TK script to do this and it works good.

Tom might have a table built into narsil now, I know he was messing with an FET only ramp for one of his own projects.

TA, that works.
The problem was that I was using the Narsil 1.3, wich is not a triple channel firmware.
With the NarsilTriple 1.2, I zeroed out the 7135 tables as you said and created a new FET table.
Thanks TA.
Now almost all my flashlights are using TA drivers, from a tiny 18500 Triple Convoy S2 mini to the massive MT03.

TA, just one problem. As I’m using only the FET channel, when I try to enter configuration mode the LEDs don’t blink. I assume that’s because the configuration mode blinks are thru the 7135 channels, isn’t it?
Is there a walk-around for this?

I have never used the config menu in narsil so I am not the one to ask about this. I don’t even know how to get into the menu to be honest. I would prefer re-build the firmware with the settings I want then use the config menu in most cases where the light is not totally put together.

About the 7135 inconsistency with 2S battery configuration, is this problem still present when using an LDO?

There has not been a lot of testing on it to date. There has been some debate on weather it is voltage ringing in the system that spikes voltage and kills them or if the latest batch of 7135’s are just weaker then past ones.

Sometimes they will work fine, others they will die or short out for no reason. I just gave up on them as one big lights I don’t really need a moon mode anyways.

Thanks for your reply TA.
I would like to ask TomE if it is possible to change the NarsilTriple to use the FET to the configuration blinks. Then the absence of the 7135s won’t make any difference on a large 2S flashlight.

I think that find 2 locations for the blink configuration in NarsilTriple:

1- here:

// output to use for blinks on battery check mode (primary PWM level, alt PWM level)
// use single 7135 only at 25%
#define BLINK_BRIGHTNESS 60,0,0

2- and here:

• ClickBlink
  • ==
    /
    inline static void ClickBlink()
    {
    SetOutput(20,0,0);
    _delay_ms(100);
    SetOutput(0,0,0);
    }

Tonight will try to change those settings to:

#define BLINK_BRIGHTNESS 0,0,10

and to:

SetOutput(0,0,10);
_delay_ms(100);
SetOutput(0,0,0);

Later will post here the result.

Interesting. I wonder what those two settings do differently or if they’re redundant.

Those look like they should indeed change the output to the FET. Good luck!