Texas Avenger "TA" Driver series - Triple channel + Bistro or Narsil + Clicky or E-switch - The Ultimate open source driver!

TA, those settings worked!
Now the configuration blinks are operational and I managed to setup the MT03 to my preferences.
I reconfigured the modes in the firmware, with values assigned only to the FET channel, and they are working too.
Ready to the TA board arrive.
The MT03 is a beast now! More than 20 amps at turbo.

Great, glad you got it working!

The minimum value that the FET channel accept is 2, resulting in 20ma consumption.
Now the MT03 driver modes starts at 20ma and in turbo reaches a bit more than 20 amps. What a great flexibility.
Recommend the MT03/TA driver/Narsil combo as a bad, heavy and reasonable priced mega flooder.

Anyone tried the AMC A705? I have some A705NGT-330 laying around (I couldn’t find the 350mA versions at the time) but haven’t gotten around to testing them yet. They are supposed to be directly compatible with 7135s but rated for 12V.

Never even knew they existed, got a link to the datasheet?

It sounds very interesting and would be great for the 2s and maybe even 4s setups.

Next Step, adapt NarsilM to FET only.

EDIT: adapting this firmware to FET only setup is beyond my capacity. TomE, congratulations for your work. This firmware is much more sofisticated than I could imagine. It’s fortunate that we have persons like you, TK and others here in BLF to develop such intricate programing.

http://www.datasheetlib.com/datasheet/1130180/a705ngt-210_add-microtech/download.html

Nice! Thanks for the datasheet Mike! I haven’t got to look at it much, but just from scanning the front page, it looks like it could drop right in place on existing 7135-based drivers for greater than 1S voltages! :+1:

I’ll update once I’ve had a chance to try ’em out. I have a 7135 test PCB at home so I can at least see if they work as a drop in.

Oh yeah, how does the price compare to 7135’s? Since the voltage capability of these is still low enough on the bottom end for 1S as well as going up to 12V, maybe they’d be better to keep around if not too expensive. What I mean is that if the price is close, it might not make sense to buy both if the A705 can replace 7135 in every case.

As long as people are looking at 7135 alternatives…

In some cases it might also be nice to use a smaller 7135-like chip on the lowest channel. If it ran at 50mA instead of 350mA, it could probably do even better moon/low modes. Could be a good option on 3-channel drivers. Perhaps 50mA, 1.4A (or 2.1A), and a FET.

It could offer lower moon modes but there is also good data to say that running an LED at super low currents is worse for it then running at high currents. By PWM from a reasonable current like 350ma we minimize any degradation issues from low currents.

That said, a bit lower should not hurt, say 250ma and we would have to see how well these PWM as well.

I suppose the moon/low-mode efficiency probably depends more on other factors anyway, like how much power the MCU uses. A lower power channel would mostly just make the bottom end of the ramp a bit smoother.

Well, according to the datasheet, you can get the A705 down to 190mA. Do you know of a chip that can go down to 50mA and up to 12V or higher that fits into a SOT-89 package? :smiley: I agree that a lower current rated chip would be great for the single-7135 channel of our multi-channel drivers.

Yeah, in my testing the MCU usually uses 3-4x the current of the LED in moon mode anyways. Reducing that drain would net us much larger gains in power savings.

Here is one for 25 mA, 5 to 20V: CL25

For 20 mA you can have it even smaller (SOD-123, max 45 V): NSI45020AT1G

… it has no control pin to turn the chip on and off?

Can’t do PWM without that.

The nice thing about these other AMC chips is that they appear to be drop-in replacements for the popular 7135 chip, only with a higher voltage ceiling. I hope it works out that way, so we can use them on lights with serial cell configurations.

Sorry, I forgot to answer this… I paid $0.20 a piece and $5 for shipping and some weird fee, totaling $15 for 50 pieces. So that’s a lot more than 350mA 7135s, but maybe these A705s can be found cheaper elsewhere.

The manufacturer of these A705s and 7135s, is that still ADDtek? Their website www.addmtek.com is down and domain is for sale. Do they still exist but as another company?

That price isn’t much higher than Richard’s price for 350mA 7135s at Mountain Electronics. He sells them for $0.95 per 5-pack plus shipping. But he also offers bulk discounts. For 3 packs or more, the packs are $0.90 each, and for 10 packs or more they’re $0.80 each. His shipping is cheaper also (well, within USA anyway) and no weird fees. In total, you paid $4.10 more for 50 pieces than what I can get 350mA 7135s from him. That’s only about $0.08 difference per piece.

I see. I was referring to current FastTech price which is under $10 for 100 pieces.