The 1000 Yard Club - extreme distance testing for throwers.

Thanks for the link. I just placed an order for one.

Well I guess we will just have to disagree. I have a place I can shine my FandyFire STL-V6 almost 400yds. And that is gettting out there for its max limit to where it really is effective for useability. Same exact light as the SkyRay STL-V2. And it’s pitch black here. I’ll show you a very good what you would see in person live shot of the FandyFire STL-V6 at 350yds. Now these were zoomed in some so don’t doubt the yardage.

This is manual setting of 1.4 sec shutter and f/4 and ISO 400.

Now notice how the TK70 smokes it at the same distance on the same settings.

And I honestly believe if you doubled that distance I would hate to see how much even the TK70 would lose at even 700yds.

And here you can see what my big halogen 9” reflector 120watt bulb will do against the TK70 at the same distance on a .4 sec less shutter at 1 sec. And it still whips the the TK70. Nothing I have or had will out throw this light.

And just to show you that shot during the day with no zoom but back about say 30 more yds or so. This should be right at 400yds.

Like I said being a hunter and shooter and knowing what 400yds is, a lot of folks 300yds is realy only 200yds if that.

And I can assure you my TK70 will smoke my FandyFire STL-V6. And it wouldn’t come close to lighting something at even 800yds in my honest opinion.

Yes this store is legit. If you wanna pay by paypal ask customer rep and she give you paypal address. BTW Aliexpress have $5 of $25 or more coupon for new members and $5 off coupon when you paying by Mastercard. Now they have some other coupons - Supernova sale.

Absolutely… no disrespect for the OP. Some of our fave budget lights can do some AMAZING things for the price points.

The TN31 is the throwiest 1-XML I have used. It beat out my modded fat max and Defiant spotlights by a slight but noticeable amount. I think its the TN31 reflector quality, it really holds its tight beam shape way out there. It also drives the XML really hard… I think somewhere north of ~4.5A

IMHO ~50K lux is still the throw ceiling for lights under $45. If you want “noticeably” more throw than that you are looking at prices in the 3x-5x range, or modding something for roughly 1.5-2x the price. You have seen my fatmax and Defiant spotlight mods… they are my attempts at the latter.

Using an Olight SR95 as a 200K reference, myself and some other CPFers measured my fatmax and defiant in the 75-78K lux range. Mixed emotion here… on one hand I pretty much blasted past the 50K barrier, but on the other I’m well short of 100K. I think I am limited by reflector quality and thermal cooling in this price range.

Here’s the big halogen vs the TK70 at 60yds on 1 sec shutter. It’s just hard to beat a light with this huge of a reflector of almost 9”. Now this light is said to throw a mile. but I doubt that.

halogen spotlight

Fenix TK70

And here’s the FandyFire STL-V6 same distance and settings. Now you can see it takes a back seat to those above.

I have to disagree with you ILF, I recently tested my STL-V2 and it was able to light up a fire tower approximately 700 yards away. This was under perfect conditions on a moonless night from one the top of one mountain to the top of another with well adapted night vision but it lit it up well enough to be seen.

Well I showed you what I have to work with. Again the FandyFire STL-V6 will not out throw the others I listed above. Nor will it out throw the EagleTac M3C4(updated driver new head), Crelant 7G5, Sunwayman T40CS, Olight M3X or Olight SR51. And I sure would like to see those truly light up something at 700yds to what I call lighting it up.

i have an olight sr90 modded with a top bin sbt-90 led (~$67 from mouser) that easily beamed across a lake which was 900+ yd according to google earth

unfortunately i do not have a decent camera to take good beamshots (i blew all the $ on the light lol)

And I don’t find that one hard to believe. But your probably talking about a light of 150,000 lux or more. That is 3 times the throw that of the maybe 50,000 lux STL-V2.

the brightness improvement over stock sr90 was over 50%

i bet a varapower turbo or the new sr95 series would easily out throw even my modded sr90

or waynes sst90 search light would prob hit 1000 yds easily

for less $ what about an aspheric like the dereelight dbs or crelant 7g5v2 collimator setup? i have both but have not tested them to their max ranges

I believe you.

My halogen spotlight I have will easily put a SR90 to shame. My Dereelight wouldn’t even come close. Nothing I have will touch it. It makes the TK70 seem weak. But it should with a almost 9” reflector. I think it puts out around 3600 lumens. But it throws a long, long way with a super tight beam.

ive got a firefoxes 3 hid but im not sure how that does with long range throw (i live in a city so its hard to test long range)

anything with a deep reflector and overdriven sst90 or xml should theoretically break 700 yards, 1000 is difficult to see for my eyes though :slight_smile:

And that’s my point. 1000yds is a long long way.

Let me show you just how far I can shoot.

And trust me I never touched that tower. We are talking miles.

Well I actually live in the suburbs, about 30 odd minutes drive from the Melbourne cbd. But anyway when temperature of the air decreases, then so too does it’s ability to hold water. This is why we get rain when it’s cold (usually). So when the air is cold around where I live, the water is squeezes out and end up just floating around as a fine mist (aka fog). So you’re right about humidity and temperature having a direct correlation, but where I live it just gets foggy whenever it’s cold. Usually when I go night fishing the air is quite clear near the sea, regardless or temperature.

Ebay HID flashlight 85w with old 6000k bulb (now i have 4300k which is brighter)

tower at 500-550m

hotspot at 250m furthest visible 600m

house at 700m

!http://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/Scheven_architect/P6170473.jpg !

I was there with mudgripz and two others. The conditions were cool after a long wet spell and finally a fine day, so conditions were far from perfect as there was an unfair amount of moisture in the air, evapourated during the day and just starting to turn to mist. However the torch still managed to light up the house and shed, at the stated distance, to the point we could easily make out main features, ie corners, doors, windows, etc.

As mudgripz stated you wouldn’t shoot at that distance, but with this torch it is easy enough to identify individual animals through a reasonable scope to the 300-400m mark. We do not consider that it would be safe to shoot at this distance. Comfortable out to 200m, possibly 250m, provided that you could see the backdrop on the 400-500m range.

The big problem I see with this torch for hunting with is that I don’t yet have one in my kit. :~
But in those immortal words, “I have seen the light!” 0:)

We're glad to have you onboard, gadgetman!

Up here in QLD there’s a noticeable difference in long range visibilty in winter and summer, in summer everything has a softer focus because of the humidity. In winter the views across the ranges are much crisper.

Welcome to BLF, gadgetman!