The 10th Annual Old Lumens challenge - has officially concluded! Winners have been announced!

Yes, when I saw how it progressed and worked out I said to myself that it was The First Place Project!

Your lights are nothing to sneeze at, Don, ever. :slight_smile:

Well done everyone and big props to Hoop for being this year’s organiser :beer:

Thanks so much guys. I really hope it drive others to develop a voice-controlled light.

Did someone inform Skylight it is his turn?

Yep, Skylight has been PM'd.

Thanks fellas, it was an honor to organize this year’s challenge and keep it going for another year. I enjoyed the experience.

Organizing the challenge did take quite a bit of time, but mostly because my approach was thorough. The first thing I did was study every prior challenge thread in order to see what the rules were and how they changed over the years. Every contest entry also needed to be examined because not everything was explicitly stated in the rules but could be inferred from the entries. After some deliberation about the rules I drafted this year’s challenge thread. Next I drafted a revised solicitation letter and solicited sponsors. In total, 44 companies were contacted. Seven companies responded and offered a prize. After that it was mostly a matter of maintaining the challenge thread and answering PM’s and such. There was also some housekeeping to do in the archive thread. Next I revised the existing scoresheet, and judges were solicited. Judging took me two full days because of the amount of commentary I made for every build, which formed the basis of my scores. Next I wrote some documentation to help the next organizer.

The work of the previous organizers made my job much easier. Whoever originally put together the contest archive thread, “the” or CRX maybe, had to do a ton of work. There was an existing solicitation letter, existing scoresheet, existing imgur account, and some documentation, to help me along. Revising existing documents and processes is easier than creating new ones from scratch.

Special props to whoever put together the GIF slideshow compilation (data heavy, ~414MB) for the 2020 (8th annual) challenge. That probably took a huge amount of time. I believe it was pinkpanda3310.

All of these lights were awesome. Congrats to the winners!

I feel very honored to win the first prize in the modified flashlight category! :heart_eyes: Congratulations to everyone! :sunglasses:

Many thanks to Hoop, the judges and everyone involved for an excellent job running this OL contest. :beer: :+1: It is very generous of you, Hoop, to offer three awesome custom flashlights.

I would like to choose the flashlight from the Convoy store. Thanks.

I am having trouble making up my mind. :person_facepalming:

So, I would like to select the Skylumen Mystery Light, in a thrower please. :smiley:

Hi all, thanks again, this was really fun and helped me try some new things. Thanks to Hoop and the judges for their time, and the sponsors plus Hoop for the awards. I’m going to go with the County Comm $200 store credit. I’m eyeing the Ti Reylight, the Maratac twisties, and also feeling intrigued by the 1xC and 1xD cell lights.

@MtnDon, hope you let us know what the mystery thrower ends up being, should be very exciting to receive a surprise light from Vinh.

Congrats to everyone.

For certain! It’ll be as much fun waiting for and discovering what the surprise is as it was to take part in the competition.

Alright, everydaysurvivalgear is up next. PM sent.

Thank you Hoop for taking over the challenge this year and letting me build a light much appreciated, i really needed the motivation of this contest to get it done thanks! :smiley:

Congratulation to the winners and everyone that entered this years challenge, hopefully we see some machine made entries in the future contests.

On that note i can not let a custom go by so i choose one of your Maglites builds, i currently own zero Maglites so its an easy choice.

I’ve just replied the PM :wink:

I will publicly thank Hoop work and organization, and generosity :blush:

For the prize, I will choose the remaining Maglite shorty that Hoop will put together!

Again, congrats to all the contestats this year. Hopefully will be here to the next round, in 2023 :wink:

:beer: :beer: :beer:

Thanks for organizing it and running again this year, yall are awesome!

I Already cant wait for next year to what people come up with. I hope to be able to participate again next year, this was a ton of fun!

Id absolutely love the brass pineapple. Thanks guys <3

Sorry for the delay, I just wanted first to make sure Liion are able to ship cells to my location :slight_smile:
I will take the 4 batteries and a charger from Liion.
Thanks for all sponsors, judges, Hoop and all participants.
I had a great time this year, hope to do better next year :slight_smile:

Thanks for all participants in this contest. I’ll choose that Led Lenser P7R for a price.

Thanks Hoop for organizing this and for throwing in those extra prizes. I really didn’t expect to get a prize! I’ll take the remaining $50 CountyComm gift certificate.

Thanks everyone for participating and for letting me in at the last minute. My project was something I already had in my head and I was excited when I realized I finished it in time to enter. Now that this is on my radar I’m going to try to put together something hand or machine made for next year.

Thanks everyone!

Now I will get in touch with the sponsors about prize distribution. I'll contact you guys with details or to get your mailing address as needed.

Can not believe no one took the TaskLED drivers. George have some awesome drivers. It was my choice before Hoop surprised us with his cool MAGlights :)
I have build few caving lights with the DualFlex driver and although the UI is not perfect I really like it.