The 3 flashlights you really need and use

Emisar D1, Zebralight H600w mkii, Sofirn SC01.

Why does no one mention the Q8 ?

’Cause it’s freaking huge. :laughing:

Great light for home, in case of power outage, or for 4000-lemon output for quite a while, but it’s not exactly pocket-friendly.

I do admit, i dont use it very often because it’s heavy.
Currently my pocket light is a SS Enogear with dedomed 4500K 519A.
Next to a Lumintop Tool AA with an identical dedomed 519A, very nice

My Q8 sits in the garage with the button glow set to high. Sits on a table just under the breaker box.
It’s my last resort when I pop the only circuit in the garage trying to run a shop vac and the table saw.
Sometimes I win - sometimes I’m left in the dark with only the green glow of the Q8 to guide me back to the light.
It’s a nifty light and my first 18650 powered light. Too big to cart around. Same for other big’ens. Fun, but not something I need on any regular basis.
All the Best,
Jeff

I had my Q8 in a drawer for a few years but I now use it to keep my battery sets 'exercised'. I took it to a nature park to compare the throw with single emitter lights and now keep it prominently ready to use on my chest of drawers, switch on high.

Ok I will play.

When I read the post before reading others I was thinking 3 lights and situations huh?

1. EDC Emisar D4
2. Light in the rig. astrolux FT03. In case I need to shine the light on something far away or not as far away if i pop a fuse and the driving lights go out. (Oddly specific but it happened about 9 years back. LOL).
3. Back patio light, Q8 not worried about size, and I want a lot of light both close, far, and all over the place. Sometimes the Astrolux FT02S is there instead.

strayz, OP says 3 lights but shows 4 and who can resist?!

I really like your choices as I know mine would be similar if I was on the road alot with a bigger yard to come home to, if I'm reading between the lines correctly.

For my light truck, I keep two, 2x CR123a lights, a thrower and Fenix HP12 as it's too hot for proper Li ion care.

*deleted

Keychain/EDC: olight/ITP A3 Eos upgraded

Thrower: Nitecore ea8

Headlamp: ultrafire h2b

(Yes a bit old all of them but I am a bit oldschool)

Before I answer, I’d like to voice my appreciation for this post. Because for almost all of the 3 spots available, I could easily put 2 or 3 different lights into that category. So as I sit here with the Acebeam and Emisar websites up, shopping for more lights (and I’ve easily got 25+ already) it’s easier to justify when realising that there are times where I use two or more different lights for similar situations, but where one offers an advantage over the others in that set of circumstances.
(And before anyone asks, no, my wife isn’t reading this post.)

Anyway. Keychain light I’m not going to mention, I’ve got one but it’s basically a backup that never gets used. Going to focus on the lights that see the most actual use.

1. EDC - D4V2 XPL-HI 5000K (with the short tube.) It’s tiny, punchy, I don’t notice it in my pocket and if I do take it out of my pocket then I can always find it. And it’s effing gorgeous, even in non brass/Ti. Most used light.
2. Running headlamp - HD15, with a Nitecore NU05 on the back of the strap for the odd time I run on roads. Recent arrival to take over from my older Nitecore NU20. Once I’ve got a headband with a narrower mount I’ll be using it short tubed. On board charging, great beam profiles, perfect mix of flood and throw for daily running and ultras in the backside of nowhere. Pretty too.
3. Around the house headlamp - Wuben H5. For seeing what I’m doing when I’m fixing things, or looking for stuff. I use headlamps more than anything else for this reason; if I use my EDC it’s held between my teeth, as invariably I need two hands free - so having a headlamp to hand around the house is a no brainer.

I’ve got other lights that put a massive smile on my face, or get occasional use (or both - such as my main thrower) but I couldn’t live without those 3. Or their predecessors.

1 Thank