The BEAST - TN31 (6.5A) Vinh light has arrived and tested - WOW!!!!

I can’t wait to see these pictures. The wait is killing me. Maybe in the future we can see the vinhnguyen54 K40 vs vinhnguyen54 TN31 as well. I’ll bet your right about the K40 being close to around 475K. I can’t wait to I get my K40 back that Vinh is doing. He should of received my K40 today. And knowing Vinh like I know him I should get it back pretty soon.

Not sure how quick I will be getting my K40, but for sure it won’t make it for this shoot out. But, I can always do another one not too far down the road.
We’re trying to do a two stage distance shot for this bout. The first target will be at 300m, and then a secondary target just slightly above it in elevation is about 555m. Both will be white tarps, the closer one slightly bigger since its the primary target.
Working on improving a better light holding device this afternoon. I have a tripod setup now, but its a little unstable for some of our bigger lights.
We’ll get it done one way or another. Saturday night, 20 throwers and 2 flooders on the menu right now. All lights over 50k or 2000 lumens is are basic cutoff for the shoot.
If anybody is curious about any slightly smaller lights, and if we own one, we can take shots with it too. Just let me know. They would need to be at least 20k to even stand a chance at the 300m target, and that’s stretching it.

The impressive thing is that TN31mb is using XP-G2, while Vinh’s modded TN31 is using XM-L2 U2!

Yes, but if you notice, Michael (OSTS) quotes stock runtimes (or longer!) which means he's not increasing amps. At 6.5A (more draw than that from the cells), you wont get much runtime for sure... Just to be fair to Michael, this is comparing apples to oranges - yes, both high throw, but what each mod does to get there is way different. You'll get 2 hrs+ on a TN31mb, and I would think way less than 30 mins on this one. Maybe 5-10 minutes of glory , but I don't mind that...

Agreed. Very good way to look at it. Runtime and over heating is very different in these two lights. The TN31mb would be totally safe to run on level 6 until the batteries were too weak. With TN31 XmL2 driven at 6.5A, I would be weary of running over 10min. And it might get too hot before than. Of course it can be kicked down to level 4 or so to allow it to cool down safely. I guess you could consider the TN31mb to be a bad arse sports car and the 6.5A TN31 to be a dragster in the flashlight world.
All that aside I don’t regret getting either one in the least. Both are very special lights that will be permanent keepers in my collection.

I measured 360,000 lux on my vinh k40 (batteries at around 4.05v)

average of 5 tests from 8m

wow, didnt expect an almost 30% less candela for the k40 compared to the tn31

i was expecting around 400k

when you get numbers this high getting an accurate reading without a tripod is very difficult

when i measured my tn31mb my results varied from 400k-450k (certified at 431)

not saying that 360kcd in a compact reflectored thrower is not impressive, but i was expecting it in the 420-450kcd range

yeah - the reflector is a bit shallower than i was expecting actually when comparing it side by side to the tn31 - i think even the crelant 7g9 has a deeper reflector

but! the k40 has much more GOOD spill than the tn31mb

i brought the tn31mb on my camping trip - very nice spot light but not really a walking on trails type of light simply because you have to put the light on high for a good amount of spill and then the hotspot reflection blinds you :stuck_out_tongue:

but thats what the btu super shocker is for :wink:

gonna take a drive tonight and try it out

That is not what I wanted to hear, or the 40 people who have K40s coming from Vinh.

its 3x stock lol

thats 100% true. it will still throw 1200 meters. what we need here is a good mouse over comparison of the k40 vs tn31 both modded by vinh

I really like your analogy. I agree with it, as long as you are only talking about using level 6. The other levels don’t have a corresponding increase in current. So you still have a sane light that doesn’t necessarily have to stop at every gas station.

levels 4, 5, and 6 are all very close together (different from stock)

to my eye if level6 is 100% - level 5 would be 95% and level 4 would be 85%

I agree. They were that way stock too. On the DMM, the modded light’s current readings on 4 and 5 are about the same as stock. I hardly go above level 3 when I use the light. When I do, I usually go straight to 6.

i wonder how much deeper the reflector in a tn31 is compared to the k40

now i have something to play with tonight until my DEFTx gets here (shipped thurs)

Wow you are goin all out, again! All I have to do is look north to see if you are out playing .

ive been waiting for the deft x since i ordered it on January 9

LOL.

The K40 isn’t much bigger than a TN30, so anything in the 300K+ is very impressive. I think Selbuilt had a stock one at 68k or something like that. So Vinh’s is increasing lux almost four or five times! The TN31 is huge compared to this, so much bigger of a head. Good trade off for a smaller light. I think it will be a winner.