The BLF GT70 "Giggle Monster" is here! 7,500lumens, 1,500m throw! Group buy Closed!

That would indeed be a nice size. :+1:

Correctā€¦ā€¦

would bypassing the carrier spring kill the LED?

On the GT70, maybe. Itā€™s already being pushed hard. Are you using both carriers? Are you using high drain cells? If so, then the chance of burning the led is high.

If your running it on high capacity batteries then the chance of burning it is lower.

Im using the short tube with x4 VTC5A flat tops, iā€™ve removed the anti-reverse protection rings

Those are definitely high drain batteries. If you were to bypass the carrier springs you might be looking at over 10 amps (6v 20A). Very dangerous territory. If itā€™s relatively easy for you to reflow a new LED on that mcpcb, then you can try it out and see how it works.

Note that you wonā€™t actually see an increase in output with your eyes. It will only be an increase seen on the Lumen Tube/sphere.

like 60-85mm reflector or something ?

I installed a lexel 7A 12V buck driver and bypassed all the springs with 20AWG wire

Bypassing the carrier springs with a Buck or Boost driver is actually a good thing. It can improve efficiency.

Bypassing the carrier springs with a FET driver is a very different situation.

Yeah thatā€™s why i didnā€™t bypass with the stock TA driver

ok so I took the risk and used my 20AWG bypassed carrier with the stock TA FET driver with VTC5A flat tops by removing the anti-reverse protection boards, I measured 8,770 lumen at turn on and 7,770 lumens after 60 seconds, my LED didnā€™t fry and none of my carrier springs melted, with stock double springs and VTC5A flat tops with removed anti-protection boards I measured 8,500lm.
with 30Q button tops on double springs i only got 7,950lumen
this is with the short tube so im only using x4 cells and not x8

With the short tube and just 4 cells bypasses should be ok. It is when using all 8 cells that it would be a concern. Most likely it would survive but it would be pushing it right up to the breaking point, so only do that if you are ready to replace the LED if it fails.

Finally got the time to mod my GT to a GT70 today :slight_smile:

I also had serious issues to get the ring off, but a stick of wood and some duck-tape got it freed up and the glass stayed intact.

^ Nice work and nice improvisation with the wood and duct tape!!! :+1:

+1 ā€¦ Very nice indeed!

If you canā€™t duct it, ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦. :wink:

The metal teeth on that vice will rip right through that single sheet of paper. You need something thicker. 10 layers on each jaw or 5 layers of duct tape. Something like that.

Yep, if itā€™s not a smooth jaw. Hopfully it is. :+1: . If notā€¦ ouch. :frowning:

Strips of wood work well also.

i bought 2 rubber belt wrenches, one big and one small, still cannot seem to open the GT70 head!

Try separating the upper head from the lower head.

I donā€™t think thereā€™s a real need to loosen the bezel.

tried that as well, it doesnt turnā€¦