The BLF GT70 "Giggle Monster" is here! 7,500lumens, 1,500m throw! Group buy Closed!

I do notice that list is for a small, everyday carry type of light. Maybe people’s preferences go a bit warmer when it comes to thrower style lights?

IDK.

That could be…. but personally I would not bet on it.

Until fairly recently, IIRC; it was general knowledge here on BLF that Cooler temps made better throwers.

Somehow, for whatever reason; that info seemed to start changing a bit about the time the GT was being conceived.

In fact, I believe it was DB Custom who showed his GT threw a bit further with a cooler temp emitter than the stock GT one.

His cooler emitter was a higher bin LED, it was expected that it would be brighter.

NASA wanted a 3000k or warmer LED and would not even consider a cooler option in order to get maximum throw from their lights. Pretty sure they wanted this for a reason, they didn’t strike me as the kind of people that would demand something like that just for fun. :wink:

The specific 4000K 70.2 you named is why several of us are so interested

Yes, a 4000k would be nice to have as an option, it very well might be the only option as it is simpler for them to get but they are worried about the people that want 5000k.

Ideal would be to offer both tints but they are hesitant. I am not rushing the NW selection in hopes I can talk them into offering both.

Hey TA, should I invest in the 16 Samsung 30q button top or 16 Sony vtc5a flat top for the gt 70.2 .

I’m sure that is probably correct… but who know why NASA wanted a 3000K or warmer emitter? Maybe they had a very specefic reason.

Put a 3000K or warmer emitter in a thrower & try to sell it to the general public and I am betting it would be a huge flop. I doubt many would even be sold to ‘BLF people’ or ‘light enthusiast’ either.

And I have no doubt at all there are several people here interested because of the 4000K emitter mentioned. But there are most likely just as many or more people hoping for & interested because of 5000k.

I realize this is a never ending discussion with no right or wrong answer. By and large it is simply personal preference. One in which many times ’the squeaky wheel get’s the grease’.
So squeak, squeak, squeak………… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

And as I mentioned above…. until recently cooler temps were the standard for throwers… IIRC. What changed? In most throwers sold to the general public this still holds true.

How many 4000K ‘throwers’ are out there in the big scheme of things?? Much less 3000K……

It would have been very interesting to see what the results would have been if Dale’s emitters had been binned the same.

Either will work just fine for this light. I would go with whatever is cheaper personally.

I just ordered 36 HG2’s for around $2.50 each a few months ago that are working pretty well

They actually explained it in detail to me over the phone, basically confirmed everything I had been saying up to that point. They need the most light downrange as possible and warmer wavelengths scatter less and thus travel further. Same reason that 2.4ghz wifi has a longer range then 5ghz. But we have been over that in the past many times in the GT thread.

Yes, 3000k is way to warm for the general public, it just confirms that warmer tints throw further all else being the same.

What’s the best way to order two blf gt? Pay two at the same time or pay for two separate transaction? Thanks.

I am going to assume that paying for both at the same time is best. Although I have not asked that question specifically.

The link and coupon code for the Cool white Giggle Monster should be going live tomorrow or the next day with emails following shortly after.

filled it out, got an email.

1 giggle monster
0 conversion kits
0 extra carriers
CW
Maybe reflector
Maybe lens
Maybe batteries depending on price…

Yeah, that’s what I noticed during the thunderstorms this week, even the 4k light was getting very very scattered, my GT had like 400m usable throw.

Changed my “interest” to warm white in the google form. (will order whatever is available though, i “need” an xhp70 GT, lol)

If they want to put only 5000K in the lights, maybe they would consider 4000K in the conversion kits.

For the conversion kits it is fairly simple to swap out the LED to a tint of your choice before installing.

If the 5000K choice ends up as undesirable as it looks like it is going to be I will skip the light and go this way

I would not call the 5000k undesirable, just a lower bin then the 4000k or 6000k options.

At this point they are basically going to wait and see what the response in to the cool white sale and then decide on the final tint for the NW after that. I am still hoping they will offer both 4000k and 5000k so I am not rushing the process.

Thanks TA for the group buy. I have submitted the form.

In for 1 CW, 1 lens, maybe 8x 30q

@Teacher

But if you combine numbers from 4000 with 4500 K and also 5000 K with 5500 K it is
61 to 41
warmer to cooler.

At the evening I like 4000 K more than 5000 K, it is nicer to the eyes.

And here my collection of user stories:

Here is TAs “bridge over a creek” story

GT under a NASA drohne [PART 1] Official BLF GT Group Buy thread. Group buy officially closed! Lights shipping. - #15156 by Texas_Ace

Mountainbiking [PART 1] Official BLF GT Group Buy thread. Group buy officially closed! Lights shipping. - #14568 by arficus

All I know if certain members here in BLF say it is a nice lamp / tint / LED I can trust them. And I will like the lamp too.

True… But why would you do that joechina?
It was generous enough dividing 4500K in half & giving a half each to 4000K & 5000k.

There are people who want 5000k that could live with 4500K. But they would have zero interest in 4000K. I am one of those.

Conversely…… There are people who want 4000K that could live with 4500K. But they would have no interest at all in 5000k.

So dividing 4500K in half is more than fair… the way I see it anyway.

The whole tint thing is personal preference anyway. It cannot be nicely put in a box and labeled…. because one “box” does not fit all.

So, the way I see it… It is best to cater to the preference of the majority if at all possible.

It appears Lumintop as well as most other light manufacturers look at it that way also.

Also…. thanks for the links you provided. Good reading too. I had already read 2 of the 3. I had missed the NASA one… but have read it now. :+1:

It still does not sway my preference however. :slight_smile:

And that preference is the ‘Truest Neutral White Possible’ without it being overly tinted one way or the other, warm or cool.

And if a slight tint must be present…. I lean to the cooler side of Neutral, not the warmer side.