The BLF GT70 "Giggle Monster" is here! 7,500lumens, 1,500m throw! Group buy Closed!

Other than not being able to use already on hand, protected cells, is there really a problem here?

Seems the vocal few aren’t worried about overall performance (or are too paranoid to ditch the iffy protection circuit in fear they will die a horrible death) and are carrying on like this is a detriment to the design. Yeah, they said you can use protected cells, but if those protected cells aren’t able to deliver max performance or cut out prematurely, why even bother?

Seems Lumintop knew the obstacle of finding good protected cells would cause most folk to go for unprotected cells - they were offering 8 x 30Q unprotected cells WITH THE LIGHT afterall… - and made a carrier more optimal to the shorter cells which more people would be using.

As for the dented cells, I would hardly blame the carrier. If you have ever dropped a light on grass or a soft-ish surface and dented the batteries like I have, and also know the kind of rough handing postage gets from time to time, you would more than likely have concluded the damage was more likely from a 1-3ft drop the parcel may have gone through on the conveyor type system many large sorting facilities contain. In other words, I would just replace the damaged cells if it is causing loss of sleep or appetite and be done with it.

Until we see numerous reports of users putting undamaged cells in the carriers and finding dented cells with no known impact, I think it is too soon to roll out the insinuations this is a legal disaster waiting to happen.

It’s almost 6am here and I should go to sleep soon but just wanted to add one final thought…

I read (was it T18? I swear it was) in the last few pages that the damage was only to 3 or 4 of the 8 cells. This conincides with a drop during the postage process IMO as you will have 4 cells (2 in each carrier) pointing towards the head of the light and 4 pointing towards the tail so if it copped one good drop, odds are the force is going to impact one end of the cells more than the other.

Was any of the positive ends damaged even in the slightest?

You don’t even have to spend that much for a pretty respectable DSLR now days. I had to get a new-to-me camera last year when my old DSLR broke.

I ended up getting a Nikon D3400 for a steal on ebay. Although even brand new you can generally find them for under $500 with the kit lens and all (check out Samsclub or costco if you are a member, they usually have a good bundle package).

If you are willing to shop used the D3300 is almost as good and a bit cheaper. The kit lens on the D3400 is not bad either, overall I am seriously impressed with the camera. It is missing some of the professional features from my old $1500 camera that I miss sometimes but besides that is better in every other way (figures with it being 10 years newer).

The picture quality is top notch as well.

Cannon also has some good offerings, I just prefer Nikon as a rule, it is a ford vs chevy thing.

The rods are shorter T18, but take a look at the ‘end caps’ of the carriers in Mark M’s picture below.

The GT70 is on the left & the GT is on the right. You will notice the end caps on the GT70 (left) are much thicker than the original GT’s (right).

This is one reason for the shorter rods I think.

I’ll say this… the 30Q batteries fit much more securely in the new GT70 carrier. :+1:

Here you can see the difference in thickness of the aluminum.

Yes, the end caps measure about 1.1mm difference in thickness. If you want to run protected cells then do so, you can still fit 68.5mm cells in there. Maybe it sucks if you already have batteries and they do not fit, but it is a very minor issue.

Is that for both Mark or is it 1.1mm for each one?? . :wink:

1.1mm for the top and 1.1mm for the bottom. (+–0.1mm)

So around 2mm of lost space total in each carrier. The springs seem to be the same height in both carriers at 8.2mm (+–0.1mm) so they will definitely be compressed more in the new carrier.

/\… Thank you Mark. :+1:

Glad I logged back in and all the comments are correct, I was thinking myself why am I the only one even mentioning this dented cell business.?
I have so many cells I can throw these 3 away and not even notice the loss.
Also thanks for the camera info TA, I’ll probably do a bit of research before I buy and that’s some good advice.

Yes the new carriers and how the cells stay put is a plus over the old carrier, I could give that 1st carrier a slight shake and a cell or two would just fall out, started putting a rubber band around them.
I did get one pic of the worst cell that looks like one end of the spring was wanting to poke through the Samsung,
But I agree with everything said in the last posts and everyone is correct, except no I haven’t dropped a light on grass and dented the end of the cells it’s always been concrete but I didn’t have dented cells either, matter of fact I’ve never dented the end of cells but have had regular wear and tear on cells where you can see the spring marks but still this shouldn’t happen at all, and a delivery drop with that protective sticker and the packaging as good as it is wouldn’t have done it either but now that’s just an opinion not looking for trouble or a ru mark, it’s just a good tight carrier and frankly tight is the way it should be, maybe a drop but I doubt that, this pic is probably just that one spring as you can see the one area about center is getting deep like if caused by the bent end of a spring, but as mentioned this isn’t really a huge deal honestly and since I’m apparently the only one with the issue then it’s not really an issue I’d say…??
Edit: I don’t get that sort of marks on the end of my cells even after using them for a couple years so that is unusual.

Anybody know who this is…?

Hmmmm…. that is strange for sure. And on a new cell too.

Yep… I know. :wink:

You?

Wow, never seen that before, that is very strange indeed. I will pass that along to lumintop right away.

I think you are correct in not using that cell.

lol, where did you find that?

That is Neal, who was a major part of the first GT and helped with the GT70 as well.

One of the few people in China I trust to care about the quality of the flashlight as a whole and not just see dollar signs.

Teacher your right it’s weird and the only reason I even mentioned it was so people would look, it could be a big deal, now I really don’t know what would happen if you poked a hole through that negative end but I for one will not volunteer to find out but that one spring was working at poking through as you can see in about the center of those spring marks and that’s what concerned me.
I’ve got hundreds of lights and cells matched up and married and have had many shipped in lights like this and I have never seen anything like it so that’s the reason I even mentioned it just in case there was a big problem but there seems to be not much of a problem really since it seems to have only have happened to me, and that’s a very good thing IMO.
I think I have three odd ball springs or slightly defective but I think I can bend that top end back down to where it should be, one is slightly bent upwards at the end part but I can’t see anything on the others.
I only see marks like that after I’ve used a cell for a long time, just the regular wear and tear.

Ha Ha Ha, You win TA that is Neal back during the A6 project, we wanted to get shirts made like that for everyone who wanted to buy one, sort of a salute to TK for her remarkable coding on the A6 UI which if I recall was one of her first big home run UI’s, that UI is still at the top of the favorites list, I know I love it.
Might be slightly off on the exact details, it’s been awhile.

And regarding that cell you’re right TA, no way am I using that one especially and the other ones I mentioned are not quit as bad but still similar with the dents that really only happen after a lot of use and with that heavy sticker they put on the negative ends of all cells for shipping which gave the cell some great padding that makes it even worse or weird to see anyhow, it should not even be like that or happened at all and it’s not from a drop, what is the rating for the drop test?? 1.5m ?.
Edit: Neal would probably get a kick out of that picture,

Filled in the form for

1 GT70
2 kits
1 batteries.

Looks Impressive. God work.

Ye ask, and ye shall receive!

All camera settings are constant, brightness levels are arbitrary and in stepless ramping mode.
BLF GT is NW.
BLF GT70 is CW.

Control Shot 1/30 sec F4.5 ISO6400

BLF GT70 Low Mode 70 Feet

BLF GT70 Medium 70 Feet

BLF GT70 High 70 Feet

BLF GT70 Turbo 70 Feet

BLF GT70 Low Mode 350 Feet

BLF GT70 Medium 350 Feet

BLF GT70 High 350 Feet

BLF GT70 Turbo 350 Feet

BLF GT Low 70 Feet

BLF GT Medium 70 Feet

BLF GT High 70 Feet

BLF GT Turbo 70 Feet

BLF GT70 Left BLF GT Right 350 Feet

BLF GT Beam shot

BLF GT70 Beam shot

That is fantastic Mark, Thank you that is very impressive.
Really shows the difference in tints as well.
Thanks again.

Skv89 ?

Can’t tell if you are joking.