The BLF GT70 "Giggle Monster" is here! 7,500lumens, 1,500m throw! Group buy Closed!

TA, could you also ask, why they have switched from DHL to FedEx for deliveries to Austria (and maybe also to other countries in the EU)?

Because I will probably only be able to order another GT70 if there is at least a slight chance to have it sliped thru the official gatekeepers….

I know, this will for sure have no priority to you, but would be an interesting info for all European GT 70 fans…

Need to have them QC check the Tail Cap lanyard anchor. I couldn’t budge the rotating anchor ring. The TOP O-Ring groove was oversize on the O.D. on mine and when they tightened the anchor ring nut, it press fit the anchor ring. I removed the anchor nut completely, and had a heck of a time removing the ring. Once removed I had to file a pretty good burr off the top o-ring groove to get the ring to go back in and move freely (with out the o-ring in it) Then re-grease (after cleaning) the o-ring and applied dabs of red loctite and set the nut for a nice smooth movement, The anchor nut did originally have a bit of red loctite on it.

I am pretty sure they don’t actually select the shipping service. The package forward (thanks China bureaucracy) handles all of that so I doubt even they know why the change.

Although slipping a 5lb flashlight past customs is no easy task no matter how you ship it. It is a matter of luck either way.

You could wait until banggood has them for sale and see if that fares better even with the higher costs.

Or you could try contacting Neal and see if he can ship it by another method directly from him.

Ah, makes sense why I couldn’t fit my protected 30Qs. Damn, I would’ve preferred the GT carriers over these new ones. If they do still make the GT ones and ever sell separately, I’d snatch a couple. But the light itself is a freakin beast! I have the slightest green tint in the corona, which fades ever more once you pass 3 meters or so. Thanks for the time you’ve put into this gb, TA! It was pretty damn smooth all things considered.

I will pass this on, strange it would be an issue, I am 98% sure it is the same tailcap as the GT.

I’m with JasonWW on this suggestion.

They could also provide the GT version cell cradle and have it available as an accessory purchase.

Thanks, I have been pretty happy with the progress so far as well. So far we have been on time or ahead of schedule each step of the way except for the NW LED selection. Trying to get the 4500k caused 2 weeks to spent on that only to find they are not actually available.

All the issues have been minor except for the carrier and even this is not a big problem, it just simply can’t use protected cells.

I will ask if they can sell the old GT carriers separately.

It’s a machining/tooling issue, (maybe ran past the tool change count) I would say, worn tool leaving a healthy burr. It is very precision machining, the tail cap looks like it’s a single solid piece, impressive!

That would make sense. Indeed, lumintop knows how to make things right when they want to.

Where can I get some good unprotected cells for this gt70?

BUTTON Top 15A 3000mAh 18650 Battery (Samsung INR18650-30Q inside) – Liion Wholesale Batteries (shipping got expensive. Not their fault. Great customer service)
https://www.illumn.com/batteries-chargers-and-powerpax-carriers/18650-samsung-3000mah-inr18650-30q-high-discharge-button-top.html (free shipping for orders $50 or more. I just ordered 16)

Just read through all the posts on these carriers and what might have happened is that the 5 rods that assemble the carriers are where the shortening of the carrier occurs,

I measured those rods this morning, and the 1st run rods were 71.31mm long and these new shorter carriers rods are 69.17mm. Doesn’t seem like much but it really is.
Everything else with the exception of the new positive end of the carriers insulator gasket all the parts appear to be the same for the most part, as matter of fact I’m not sure they used different springs at all, so that might mean that they deliberately shortened the rods to make the springs compress more.
I can take my first run carrier and shake it and have cells fall out so I’ve used a rubber band to hold everything in place.

The biggest mistake I see with Lumin though is how they have these lights now already available everywhere. They can’t possibly be QAing these properly and are going way to fast trying to get product out for sale. Money.
Plus running over the top of TA and not asking for his advise as they should be and how it has always been done on a new design like this, you don’t get part of the plans and start building and then start selling them to everyone on the planet without the green light from TA and the BLF stamp of approval, this could make us look bad should something happen.
I couldn’t believe I was seeing the GT70’s already for sale at BG, GT Mini’s, GT35’s offered everywhere,

I am having trouble getting good shots of those dents, but I’ll get it, my camera is over my head like everything else I guess…

beam shots?

Interesting how they change something seemingly without thinking through the end result of the change. :open_mouth: :person_facepalming: . :wink:

Agreed Teacher, I’ve been trying to get a shot of these cells, but the good news is that out of 8 only three or four have issues that raised my concern and of those one I am not going to use at all because it looks like where the top of the spring does it’s bend it looks like it was bent upwards toward the cell and started to poke a hole through the bottom of the cell, now I have to find that particular spring. It’s not a major disaster on my carriers BUT what about hundreds more.? It’s not good though.

Edit: I am going to Best Buy, bag this camera, now I’m irritated, going to get a new camera… stupid thing. Or operator.?

Nicely done hazG!!! :+1:

In this particular case I will say that had semi-good intentions at heart. I kept telling them they need to reduce the resistance for maximum power. They just seemed to not catch the second part of that when I said they need to do this by using better springs. Instead they were trying to make the springs compress more.

I also complained about how loose the cells were in the old carriers but once again they missed the part about making the springs a little longer and instead say shortening the carriers and a solution to both problems.

A mistake yes but at least with good intentions. If they had just informed me what they were doing I could of corrected it.

If you are going to get a new camera, I highly recommend spending a little more and getting a DSLR. they are so much better then point and shoot cameras.

I am curious about it poking through the bottom of the cell? I am not sure how that is possible. The spring is much weaker then the metal on the cell I would think.

Or are you talking about it damaging the wrapper at the bottom of the cell?

Exactly… the last two sentences sums it up nicely. :+1:
They didn’t think it through……

No nothing wrong with the wrappers at all and this is why I made the one comment about wondering if Samsung went cheaper on their negative end metal,
You have to remember also that these cells were also protected by a darn good thick adhesive sticker as well, I had to use alcohol just to get some of the stickum goop off.
The camera I have is older but I bought it because I wanted to learn but haven’t done to well, mostly due to time and so many things to do like buying flashlights etc.
They have a nice Olympus tough that has microscope mode with 0.39” close to subject, that’s pretty good but it’s $400 plus, I guess I might as well get another camera that is even smarter than the one I have now, yikes, I really do want to learn photography, and how to build drivers, brain surgery etc.
OK, DLSR it is, Sony maybe, if I’m going to spend $400 or more on a point and shoot then I might as well spend a $1000 on something bigger and better then have YOU explain to me how to turn it on… Ha Ha,
Thanks Pal…!