The BLF GT70 "Giggle Monster" is here! 7,500lumens, 1,500m throw! Group buy Closed!

Fixed the link, try it now.

Good points, they didnā€™t even use the manual we made and there was no time to make further changes so we kinda gave up on it.

TomE does get credit for the firmware in the manual, that much I made sure of although the GPL notice was not included, I was not aware that was needed.

from the manual

The firmware was not really sorted out until the last minute and to be honest I am still not entirely sure exactly what version they ended up using. I sent them some prototype testing firmwares but they were never meant for the production lights although apparently one of them is what they ended up using.

The firmware I uploaded earlier today is the code as it is now and the version that was supposed to be used but was not.

I had not really thought about uploading it before as there was not really any place to put it and figured I would post it in the OP but just never got around to it. I will do that now.

You are of course welcome to add it to the repository, I still canā€™t figure it out so at most I stumble through it until I find what I am looking for and scramble back out lol.

Iā€™ll get a few pics of those cells for you tomorrow TA, thanks for the reply,
Iā€™m sort of a safety type Iā€™ve had a couple thermal runaways and itā€™s not very funny but Iā€™ve never had a issue with a cell in flashlights, my runaway issue was when I was trying to quit smoking and tried vaping but wasnā€™t to up on my ohms and what cell I was using and so it was my mistake for sure but a good learning lesson.
Iā€™d sure like to have a setup like yours for 14 cells, I was at Hobby King and some other places looking at those balancers thinking about trying to make something like that but quickly realized I just donā€™t have the knowledge to mess around with that but got my ideas started from HJK, he sent me a link to one of his articles on hobby chargers here, ā€œLygte HJK Hobby chargerā€: What is a Hobby Charger
I also donā€™t believe those dents are anything to worry about but non the less having a pro look just to be safe is a good idea, thank you.

By the way, the carriers from the first run lights can be used in the GT70 if you want to use protected, I couldnā€™t wait hours for my cells to charge so used the old carriers.

I completely understand, Lithium cells are to be respected or they can bite you.

I actually donā€™t use a balancing setup, just a simple 1S parallel setup. Fairly simple really. Much like that picture at the top of the link you posted, just with 14 bays instead of 2 (and a bit cleaner with the wire going under the cells)

Yes, sorry a forgot that question before. The GT carriers should work fine in the GT70, just a bit lower output if I had to guess due to higher resistance (less compressed springs, higher resistance springs).

You know TA back when I had that runaway I didnā€™t have a thousand brilliant forum friends for advise so I was wrapping Kanthal on varying size rods and just hoping for the best but could only ball park my ohms by the size of the rod I was wrapping on, didnā€™t even know of something called Ohms Law. .
That was back when Richard was up here in Washington going to school and he had the best cells around and at a good price.
Itā€™s funny looking back, I remember seeing all his flashlight gear and thinking what is all this flashlight stuff and why would anyone want to buy thatā€¦? ha ha ha
Well now I know, itā€™s fun as heck, I love my lights and my fav being my Rey Ti X6, itā€™s just a cool light and beautiful to me anyhow and there arenā€™t many of them.

Edit: Meant to add, with having you and your knowledge so available I may just give that hobby charger a try again but get my plans proofed by you first,

I just got a chance to try out my GT70ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

All I can say isā€¦. W - O - W !!! :+1:

Good job TA, Team, Lumintop, Neal, Martin, hazG, & whoever else deserves credit!! :beer: . :+1:

4000K or 5000K ā€¦ā€¦ which do YOU prefer for the NW GT70???

The Poll for BLF GT70 ā€™Giggle Monsterā€™ Neutral white tint, 4000k vs 5000k is HERE. Click and vote!

If your choice is 5000K, as is mine; NOW is the time to voice your preference.
Donā€™t sit on your handsā€¦ā€¦ click the link & vote.

I voted 5000K because it is much closer to ā€™True Neutral Whiteā€™ than 4000K.

If you prefer 5000K then vote please. :+1:

If you prefer 4000Kā€¦. feel free to ā€œsit on your handsā€. :wink: . :smiley: . :wink:

HERE is a poll that was started 3 months ago about Your favourite CCT for your EDC FLASHLIGHT (S)

Voteā€¦ please. Stand up & make your 5000K preference known.

Feel free to completely ignore teacher on this and vote for 4000K :innocent:

:person_facepalming: . May it never be!! :smiley:

5000K todayā€¦
ā€¦.5000K tomorrowā€¦
ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦5000K forever. :+1: . :+1:

Dents on the positive end are a non issue. The button tops are just stacked on top of the positive post which is also well above the top of the actual battery.

If you look at the profile of an 18650 cell, you can see the positive cap (in red) has extra room to allow for dents.

Then the button tops are added onto the top of that.

So you could completely crush the button top and still be perfectly fine.

A dent on the negative end is a more serious situation. It depends a lot on how deep it is. This is why the metal on the negative electrode is thicker than normal. It should be very resistant to deformation.

The general rule is to keep the protective heatshrink wrapper in good condition. If it gets ripped or torn it can short the negative electrode to the flashlight body. This could potentially be a serious problem. So if the wrappers get any damage, itā€™s best to just replace it with a new wrapper.

HOT OFF THE HAZG PRESS

Next Update: September 4, 2018

Thank you for the info Jason and the negative end is where the dents are, they arrived that way in the GT70 and even with the protective sticker they put on.
The cells were in very tight due to the fact that the new carriers are shorter, I measured the new ones at 82.94mm as compared to the first run xhp35ā€™s which measured at 83.33mm, I donā€™t really see a problem about to happen but better to be safe than sorry,
TA asked me to put up a couple pics of what Iā€™ve got so will do tomorrow.
Iā€™d just rather get some opinions from some of you guys with more experience before I go messing myself up, I really canā€™t figure how this could happen actually with that shipping sticker on the negative end which should have given it a bit more protection, or Samsung has gone a little cheaper on the thickness of the metal, donā€™t know but will try and show you all some pics tomorrow.
Have a great evening and thanks againā€¦

Dents on the negative end are rare. I assume they load these batteries into the carriers by hand.

Maybe they have two Silverback gorillas working there. One to tighten the heads and one to load the carriers? Lol

Specifications for the battery in the USER MANUAL sent with the flashlight states,

An ambulance-chaser lawyer might just be waiting on the side for something bad to happen and blame it on inappropriate cell cradle sent with the flashlight to the consumer.

Iā€™m not a lawyer, but I think Lumintop should remedy this potential liability situation immediately by sending the appropriate cell cradle (cell cradle that will fit longer protected cells) to those who have purchased the flashlights and replace those in the boxes about to ship out.

Iā€™m wondering what could have been their reason for the change in the length of the cell cradle. Did it happen by design or specification mistake by third party contractor and slipped by their QC?

Check out this earlier post:

Lumintop change the cell cradle specification without the BLF Giggle Teamā€™s knowledge.

I also read in this thread that the protected cell recommendation in the manual is for liability coverage. Liability coverage does not limit to text in the user manual. The hardware should also match the recommendation in the user manual.

This BLF GT70 is a wonderful product and could be the best in the category out there right now in the market.

I donā€™t intend to rain in the celebration of this amazing flashlight. I just looked at some loopholes that might bring nightmare lawsuit at some point in time if not properly corrected in due time.

I take pride in purchasing this BLF GT70 and applauds the BLF team for coming up with the concept and working to make it into a real product.

Yes, the carrier change is not something I wanted or would of approved of if asked. I would of told them to just get better springs if they want to reduce resistance.

The liability coverage was the reason for the official position but is not really a big problem seeing as they are in China. Trying to bring a lawsuit against them would be interesting to say the least lol.

I did tell them to change the wording on site and everywhere else they can.

What Iā€™m wondering is whether or not Lumintop is now making two different carriers. One for the original GT that can take protected cells and one for the GT70 that canā€™t accept protected cells.

Or if they are making this new carrier for both lights.

A lot more people use protected cells for the original GT (I think). So this could mess up that light as well.

If they are making both versions of the carrier, they need to switch the GT70 to the GT version on the next round of lights.

This is a good question, I will ask.